Sandy: An Update

Hi family and friends.  Here’s a quick update from us:

We’ve had no power, very spotty cell service and no internet for 36+ hours.  Ant and I left our house today and headed 90 miles to my sister’s house in Northern New Jersey.  Jess has power and television–we spent our first half hour here watching the news and footage of the devastation that is in our town and the neighboring areas.

The night of the hurricane was really frightening –we stayed huddled in a hallway nook away from doors and windows.  Thankfully, we didn’t suffer major damage, just lost branches and a huge limb in our yard.  A neighbor had a massive pine come crashing down across their driveway and damage was apparent up and down the streets in our neighborhood.

A major thoroughfare near my house was transformed into a river by flooding from the nearby inlet and estuary

My family is safe and my parents are also at my sister’s house (they have no power in Central Jersey).  We have a family friend on the inlet on Long Beach Island who suffered massive damage to her home, but she’s safe.  We’ll get our yard cleaned up next week and know that the utility companies are working hard to get us back up and running.

On the ride up to my sister’s, we saw a convoy of utility trucks heading into Point Pleasant from Detroit, Michigan.  There are major fuel shortages because the power outages are so widespread.  There is only one station open near our house–exit 100 on the Garden State Parkway–but the line was more than a mile long.

I hope everyone else is okay and I’ll post again when I can.

• At 2012.10.31 14:15, Care said:

I’m glad you posted an update and I am so glad to hear you are safe. praying all will soon be well and back to normal. I’ve been wondering about yu. Hugs and smiles, Care

• At 2012.10.31 15:47, Alita said:

So glad to hear you and your family are all safe. The photos of all the devastation have been mind boggling. Hoping you regain power soon!
      Alita´s last blog post ..The Rook by Daniel O’Malley

• At 2012.10.31 16:15, bermudaonion(Kathy) said:

Wow, Mother Nature can sure be devastating. I’m glad you and your family are all well.
        bermudaonion(Kathy)´s last blog post ..Wondrous Words Wednesday

• At 2012.10.31 16:15, Ti said:

NJ really took a hit. I’m glad you were able to post an update and that all of you are okay. The gas thing… I remember that being a problem too when we had a big earthquake some years back. That and ATMs not working. I’ve been watching the news a bit and the pictures coming in for the area are almost unbelievable!
          Ti´s last blog post ..Happy Halloween!

• At 2012.10.31 16:43, Jackie (Farm Lane Books) said:

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that you are safe and that your home hasn’t suffered major damage. I hope you and your family get things back to normal soo. Those are scary images I’ve been seeing on the news recently.
            Jackie (Farm Lane Books)´s last blog post ..October Summary and Plans for November

• At 2012.10.31 16:59, Sandy said:

Really appreciate the update! Us Floridians can truly empathize with the terror of the sounds of wind and things falling on your house, the flooding, the damage, the lack of power. Back in 2004 I felt like a woman from the wild west! Cold showers, cooking over a camp stove, no hairdryer! Anyway, I pray that it all gets fixed quickly and you can resume your lives. And I do apologize for my namesake storm being such a bitch!
              Sandy´s last blog post ..Not So Wordless Wednesday: Happy Halloween

• At 2012.10.31 19:41, Jenners said:

The key word is that everyone is safe. You guys got hit really hard. We barely had anything where I live (for which I’m thankful). So glad to hear from you and I’m praying you get your power and lives back soon.
                Jenners´s last blog post ..RIP Review: American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

• At 2012.10.31 20:57, Laurie C said:

Glad to know you and your family are OK. We in Massachusetts lucked out on this one, but I was worried about my daughter in NYC. Cell phone service went out so I didn’t hear from her after Sunday evening until late afternoon on Monday. I can’t believe those photos, especially the line for the gas station! My husband made me go out and fill up my car on Saturday night and he filled his up, although as it turned out, we were OK here by Tuesday morning.
                  Laurie C´s last blog post ..Life Among the 1%: What the Nanny Saw by Fiona Neill

• At 2012.11.01 07:07, Beth F said:

I was so relieved to see your tweet yesterday. Glad you are safe and warm.
                    Beth F´s last blog post ..Review: My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece by Annabel Pitcher

• At 2012.11.02 10:12, Christy said:

Thinking of you daily, Nat, and sending prayers for you & your fam. Hope you are safe and warm. Cannot believe the devastation in NJ and NYC. My heart aches for those who lost so much.. Please keep us posted on progress. (and sorry for any typos- pecking on my cell phone) we have power but my pcs been down for days. XO

• At 2012.11.02 21:51, that girl said:

Good to know you are doing OK. It’s been a while since I’ve stopped by here, but I’m glad I did and found somewhat good news from you. Take care of yourself and the hubby!
                        that girl´s last blog post ..Friday Morning Funny

• At 2012.11.05 16:39, stephanie said:

I was watching something on TV and they kept mentioning Point Pleasant and I was rattling my brain, like “WHY do I know that place?!?!”
                          And then, yeah… so, glad to hear that you’re seemingly okay, though it’s been almost a week… hopefully you’re still fairing okay.

• At 2012.11.05 23:25, Kathleen said:

Glad to hear you and your family are all safe. The images on the news are so terrible…I can’t imagine and I live in Earthquake country in the SF Bay Area. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
                            Kathleen´s last blog post ..Has it Really Been so Long?

• At 2012.11.07 20:41, Colleen said:

It is so hard to see all the damage from the storm – especially to Point. I used to get a summer share in Spring Lake every year and we had a lot of fun at the Point Pleasant boardwalk. My parents live near there now and they always bring visitors by to see the beach and the boardwalk. So much destruction.

I am glad to you are warm and safe and look forward to hearing from you again soon!
                              Colleen´s last blog post ..Review: When Summer’s In the Meadow by Niall Williams and Christine Breen

• At 2012.11.09 14:33, Lisa Munley said:

So glad to hear you and your family are safe and well. It’s stunning to see the images on the news. I hope you’re back in your home by now and that things are returning to normal.
                                Lisa Munley´s last blog post ..Karen Horneffer-Ginter, Ph.D., author of Full Cup, Thirsty Spirit, on tour January 2013

• At 2012.11.15 13:00, Connie said:

I have been thinking of you and your family! Hopefully by now things are improving. Being down South every time something brews in the ocean we tend to be nervous. Hurricanes spawn all sorts of things for us. My husband and I drove to Maine this Summer and almost every state we visited was affected by Sandy. Peace and Love, Connie