Living with a Horror Junkie: The Ghoul, The Bad, and The Undead

I am married to a horror junkie.  Anthony loves scary movies, true crime novels and shows, ghost and haunting stories, eerie music, and haunted house rides at theme parks.

What nightmares are made of! The first four (l to r) are Ant's favorites. Thanks to Tlokireviews for this lovely collage.

While he grew up feasting on slasher flicks, Dracula’s Castle on the Wildwood boardwalk, and creepy Addams family cartoons, I was all Strawberry Shortcake dolls, Sweet Pickles books, pop music, and bumper cars.

The planet I lived on as a child...

Our home offices reflect our preferences.  His room–dark burgundy walls with dark velvet drapes and flickering candelabras–is festooned with horror movie props (masks, weapons) and action figures from Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday the 13th, and many more.  When I’m home alone at night, I tend to speed walk past his room, averting my eyes as I go.

While this isn't Ant's collection, he does own 99% of these cuties. How many can you name? Thanks to joblo.com for the image.

For 20 years, I’ve gamely played along with his love of the macabre–I’ve closed my eyes while watching his favorite movies, smiled and nodded when he said he wanted to buy a vintage hearse, and visited haunted houses at theme parks and boardwalks around the country.  I even agreed to read a few of his true crime recommendations–Helter Skelter, The Amityville Horror, and something about John List, a notorious murderer who lived in Ant’s hometown.

Here's Ant all kitted out in his Halloween best: a tribute to Michael Myers. Eek!

Even though I’m a sport about it, I just can’t get down with being scared out of my wits.  I only read Stephen King novels when Ant’s home, and even then I do so with one eye squeezed shut.  For a year or two in high school, I was devouring King’s books–It, Gerald’s Game, Cujo, The Shining, Needful Things–but I often raced through the really tense or scary parts, barely skimming the words.  I guess that was my trip to the ‘wild side’, seeing that I never experimented with anything harder than that.

So, this Friday the 13th will you be snuggling up with a horror novel or movie?  Do you read true crime or horror?

• At 2012.04.13 00:56, Michelle @ The True Book Addict said:

First off, love the images! Two of my favorites, bottom row far left and the one next to it. Scream and Jeepers Creepers. Yes! I remember when I first saw Jeepers Creepers I couldn’t wait for everyone else to see it. I think I went to see it about two more times with other people. LOL

I know some people probably think I’m strange because I love historical fiction so much, but I almost equally love horror. In fact, honestly, horror was probably my first love. I was reading John Saul and Stephen King in the fifth grade. Last August, I decided that horror books didn’t mesh well with the historical slant of The True Book Addict so I launched a horror review blog, Castle Macabre (http://castlemacabre.blogspot.com/) Granted I don’t get to read as much horror as I would like because I review more historical fiction than anything. But I’m always up for a good horror novel. One of my most favorite is Richard Matheson’s Hell House. Ask Ant if he’s read that one and if he hasn’t, tell him I highly recommend it. As for reading horror or seeing a film tomorrow, I might watch something at home, but I’m definitely going to see The Cabin in the Woods on Saturday!
    Michelle @ The True Book Addict´s last [type] ..Book Tour: Review–The Dragon’s Harp by Rachael Pruitt

• At 2012.04.13 12:14, Natalie said:

reading horror in 5th grade?! geez, i was into sweet valley high and sweet dreams romances. as for castle macabre–sounds right up ant’s alley–i’ll pass along the info. as for hell house, he somehow missed that one but is going to check it out. lol. he recommends to you the original black christmas movie and vacancy. :)

• At 2012.04.13 09:23, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

I don’t do horror movies at all – they give me bad dreams! I rarely read horror but have been known to enjoy true crime for some odd reason. So, did he buy the hearse?
      bermudaonion (Kathy)´s last [type] ..Review: Faith Bass Darling’s Last Garage Sale

• At 2012.04.13 12:16, Natalie said:

i’m with you, kathy, horror is just not my scene. i was watching 6 feet under on netflix for a while but it started giving me nightmares so i had to stop. as for the hearse…all i can say is that it comes in ‘dead’ handy for trips to IKEA, costco, and the crate and barrel furniture outlet.

• At 2012.04.13 09:47, Chrisbookarama said:

I love scary books (and sometimes movies) but I like the psychological thriller type, the “you can’t see it so it’s scarier” type. I don’t like gore or crazy monsters. I’m reading Bedbugs by Ben Winters right now and it is soooo creepy.
        Chrisbookarama´s last [type] ..Friday Bookish Buzz: Quarantine Edition

• At 2012.04.13 12:18, Natalie said:

the mere title of winters’s novel is enough to leave me shaking. i have a phobia of bedbugs–it has really made traveling a nightmare for me. i obsess over hotels–i strip the beds, move the furniture away from walls, and check bedbugregistry.com before i even bring my luggage in from the car. OCD: it’s not just for dinner. :)

• At 2012.04.13 12:28, Chrisbookarama said:

Then you cannot read this book. No way. Although there is something else going on in this book. My husband travels for work and the first thing I ask when he calls is, “Did you check the bed?”
            Chrisbookarama´s last [type] ..Friday Bookish Buzz: Quarantine Edition

• At 2012.04.13 10:01, rhapsodyinbooks said:

I love the horror action figures! What a riot! I race through scary parts too!
          rhapsodyinbooks´s last [type] ..Review of “The Lifeboat” by Charlotte Rogan

• At 2012.04.13 12:19, Natalie said:

yes, the action figures are actually really well done and ant has quite the collection. sometimes i sneak into his room and pose them in compromising positions. this always elicits a laugh from ant.

• At 2012.04.13 10:05, Jac @ For Love and Books said:

I do have a few Stephen King books I’d like to read – maybe today would be the ideal day to start one of those! *lol*
            Jac @ For Love and Books´s last [type] ..TGIF / Follow Friday

• At 2012.04.13 12:19, Natalie said:

don’t start one at night if you’re home alone!

• At 2012.04.13 13:43, Christy @ The Daily Dish said:

Okay, I’ll be honest. I’m now positively THRILLED you converted the spare room into an office so there’s no reason for me to have to see Ant’s room. Ever. Yikes!!

Ant and John would get on like a house of zombies on fire. John loves watching Walking Dead, The Road, anything doomsday depressing and/or scary as h-e-l-l-o dolly. I on the other hand cannot watch anything past Shaun of the Dead. If there’s no comedy involved, I don’t do gruesome.

I read a bunch of Stephen King’s novels at roughly the same as you, all gave me nightmares and I stopped altogether midpoint of IT. I did enjoy his short story collections, and I used to love reading Alfred Hitchcock and still love those movies, the old classics. I speed past any “true crime” shows on TV and we warn Maddie & Georgia to “shut your eyes!” during the stupid commercials they run during Survivor and Amazing Race. They should be ashamed to put them on when kids care watching.

Bottom line: I will not be watching any horror movies any time soon (read: ever), much to my husband’s chagrin. But he did not marry me for that – looks like the same goes for you & Ant. (Lil miss sparkle pants pretty pony)

It’s my half birthday today! 6 mos to 40. Guess I am partaking of horror today? lol

• At 2012.04.13 16:52, Ti said:

I don’t collect dolls (ahem, action figures) but I love horror movies!!! Especially the classics or one’s from my teen years, Halloween being my fave. So, are you going to see that new movie, Cabin in the Woods? Bwhahahaha!
                Ti´s last [type] ..My Reading List (AKA Books, Books and More Books)

• At 2012.04.13 16:58, Natalie said:

sure, i’ll go “see” the movie…and by “see” i mean pay $13 to sit in a dark theater with my eyes closed. i don’t have any “dolls” with the exception of my hunger games action figures and some vintage strawberry shortcakes. :)

• At 2012.04.13 19:24, Kathleen said:

Well they do say that opposites attract, right? Ha! I do read true crime and have since I was about 12. I also read horror but not so much in the last 10 years or so. It’s funny because the older I get the less I find I am able to comfortably read these things!
                  Kathleen´s last [type] ..My Trip to Powell’s Bookstore

• At 2012.04.13 20:43, Jenners said:

I’m a total weenie when it comes to horror (though I did read most of King’s books) but I cannot watch the movies. I don’t think I could walk by that collection EVER. The Halloween costume freaks me out! I lived in the same world you did as a child … it is a much nicer place!
                    Jenners´s last [type] ..Crossing Segways Off My Bucket List

• At 2012.04.16 11:20, Jessica said:

Love, love, love horror! It’s an innate love, but it was really triggered in third grade (yes, third!) when our teacher read little snippets from a book called “Haunted Heartland” to us in class around Halloween. I was so sad when she stopped. I was overjoyed when I had finally saved up enough money to head to B. Dalton’s and buy that book! I dutifully made a little check mark in the table of contents next to each story I read (I’m a little OCD, too). From there it went to Stephen King, true crime, anything to scare the bejeezus out of me! I’m a little giddy these days, as I’m currently editing a true crime book.

Now, excuse me while I go add “Bed Bugs” to my reading list!
                      Jessica´s last [type] ..Teaser Tuesday January 24: Domestic Violets by Matthew Norman