Repurposing the Guest Room

For our first seven years in this house, one of the bedrooms was designated as a ‘guest bedroom’.  During those years, the room featured electric blue carpeting (came with the house), and a white wicker bedroom set with two twin beds.  We never had guests, and the room slowly morphed into a catch-all.

In 2007, I started blogging, wanted a room of my own, and commandeered the guest room.  I pulled everything out of the closets, ripped up the horrid carpeting, and took out one bed to make room for a desk.  We still had space for a guest, and I could stop blogging from the kitchen table.

All the junk is from the closets--I pulled everything out to start the original reorganization in 2007.

For the last year or so, I’ve been toying with the idea of a complete overhaul of this room–repurposing it, if you will–into an office with craft space and a reading nook.  The room is small–12×10–but has two nice windows, a double closet, and hardwood floors.  I started buying furniture and other goodies last summer and finally started putting everything together over the last week while on vacation.

My work in progress...I still need art, lighting, and window treatments. And yes, it really is the same room. The reason it looks so different is because I now have a wide-angle lens to capture a bigger view into the room.

From the Crate and Barrel Outlet, I scooped up the Sidecar High Dining Table.  I liked the idea of a table with height–makes wrapping gifts simple–and went from there.  The two stools were clearance from Target; I spray painted them white and covered the microfiber cushion with a different pattern.

The box behind the stool shows how it looked when I bought it last week.

The old school map came from Renningers, a flea market in Adamstown, PA, and was had last summer for only $10.  I filled vintage embroidery hoops with various pieces of fabric for a quick and inexpensive bit of ‘wall art’, and am framing a NovelPoster and some of my own photographs for the other walls.

The slipcovered arm chair, hassock, and printer credenza all came from IKEA and fit perfectly.  There’s a vintage Dresden Plate quilt on the chair, a white bookcase, and a small end table from HomeGoods.  I’m still working on lighting and curtains, and the closet doors need a coat of paint, but I’m pleased with the progress.  Now the room is 100% mine and should any guests decide to visit, I’ll point them in the direction of a hotel near the ocean.

• At 2012.04.10 15:12, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

I love it!
    bermudaonion (Kathy)´s last blog post ..NPM Review: The Watch That Ends the Night

• At 2012.04.10 15:44, Jennifer R. said:

Makes me want to get rid of my kids so I can have a whole room to myself! 😀 Looks great!

• At 2012.04.10 16:59, Michelle @ The True Book Addict said:

This is absolutely lovely. Great job!

We live in a small, two bedroom apartment and I have zero privacy. I am planning on turning my small walk-in closet into a reading nook with a small desk. Yes, I’m that desperate. It will probably be less than ideal, but it will be MY space. And yes, I will be putting a lock on the door…for when I’m in there. LOL!
        Michelle @ The True Book Addict´s last blog post ..Cat Thursday

• At 2012.04.10 18:31, Mary said:

How fun. I love the stool in white and the new fabric on the cushion.
          Mary´s last blog post ..Calico Joe by John Grisham

• At 2012.04.10 18:34, Ti said:

I love that I can see that pink typewriter in the first pic! The room turned out really nice.
            Ti´s last blog post ..Why Must Vacations End?

• At 2012.04.10 19:00, Allie said:

Wow! What a great change! It looks like such a nice place to read and write.

• At 2012.04.10 20:08, avisannschild said:

It looks lovely — colour me jealous! I have a room of my own but it’s my work office and it’s tiny, with no window save a door that is mostly window. It’s definitely not conducive to crafty projects, unfortunately. Enjoy your new space!
                avisannschild´s last blog post ..Mailbox Monday (April 9)

• At 2012.04.11 00:25, Jac @ For Love and Books said:

I absolutely love it!! And I especially love your chair! I am green with envy for this room – I would love even a small space in my house for something like this! (I supposed I need to make that a priority!)
                  Jac @ For Love and Books´s last blog post ..Review: The Book of Blood and Shadow by Robin Wasserman

• At 2012.04.11 11:33, Vivienne said:

The room looks lovely. I want a room to myself but I will have to wait until I kick the kids out. LOL
                    Vivienne´s last blog post ..A True Ghost Story by R.S Russell

• At 2012.04.11 12:52, Jenners said:

OOOohhh…I love it!! I want a room of my own too!!!
                      Jenners´s last blog post ..A People’s Readalong: The Empire and the People

• At 2012.04.11 15:18, toothybooks said:

great job! i’ll have to give you a call if i ever need an interior decorator! 🙂
                        toothybooks´s last blog post ..Review: Bloom

• At 2012.04.11 15:57, Christy @ The Daily Dish said:

Beautiful, Nat!! You’re so clever, making exactly what you wanted and on budget. It takes an eye to find things and be able to tweak them so perfectly. Seriously. Well done!

PS: I will now have to find someplace else to stay when I come visit. Rats.

• At 2012.04.11 21:43, Jenna said:

I am jealous! Wish I had a room all to myself.. Apartment living in a big city is getting the best of me.
                            Jenna´s last blog post ..Review: Hugh and Bess

• At 2012.04.12 00:15, softdrink said:

Your’e so talented! And how fun to have your own space.

• At 2012.04.13 08:07, Beth F said:

Awesome job. I’m not quite as talented in the decorating department.
                                Beth F´s last blog post ..Imprint Friday: Let’s Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

• At 2012.04.13 10:56, kay @ Infiniteshelf said:

Oh wow, I love that room! It’s beautiful, and it looks quiet and peaceful. Plus, I’m kind of jealous of your pink typewriter.

• At 2012.04.17 17:42, Alita said:

I love it! What a perfect reading/blogging/crafting space. And all the little touches you’ve added are wonderful. It looks like a completely different room!
                                    Alita´s last blog post ..Weekly Round Up (04.15.12)

• At 2012.04.22 12:02, Lisa said:

Your space looks terrific now! Love that you’ve made it distinctly your own with space for all of your activities and it still looks so bright and comfortable.
                                      Lisa´s last blog post ..Sunday Salon – April 22

• At 2012.05.06 16:21, Jess (The Cozy Reader) said:

Great job! Your room looks great. I love the map!
                                        Jess (The Cozy Reader)´s last blog post ..Cover Art | Prodigy (Legend, #2) by Marie Lu

• At 2012.05.14 12:29, Stephanie said:

Great idea, although where will I stay when visiting the shore? 😉
                                          Stephanie´s last blog post ..Sunday Salon 05.13.12