Ringing in 2012 New York City Style

I donned my tour guide cap today and escorted my cousins and aunt into the city for a bit of holiday cheer.  We did the requisite visits to Times Square, the TREE, St. Patrick’s, FAO Schwartz, and all of the store windows along 5th Avenue.

Believe me when I say we were not alone.  At times, we seemed to bob along the sidewalks like corks in a stream–it was a tidal wave of humanity.

If you look closely, you can just make out the 2012 that will be lit up at midnight on the top of the building on the left with all the billboards--one sign above the word TOSHIBA.

These oversized bulbs were adjacent to Radio City Music Hall.

Overheard while snapping photos: "Did this tree grow here?"

Taking a break on a park bench in Central Park looking south onto Fifth Avenue. (lens: Canon 10-22; ISO 1600; f/22)

Sending wishes to all of my blogging buddies for a healthy and happy 2012!

• At 2011.12.31 08:50, Natalie ~ the Coffee and a Book Chick said:

I’ve never celebrated New Year’s Eve in NYC, but I really should do it at least once! But, this year any type of partying probably won’t happen, because… well, clearly New Year’s Eve will be an early night for me. I have been up since 4 a.m… normally, a quiet Saturday morning, a cup of coffee, and a book is the perfect way to start the day off, but…methinks I shan’t even be awake for 10 pm.

Have a safe and Happy New Year, Natalie, and here’s to another blogging year in 2012! :)
    Natalie ~ the Coffee and a Book Chick´s last [type] ..Saturday Snapshot… Mt. Trashmore & the Boat

• At 2011.12.31 09:44, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

What fun! I love New York and really want to visit during the holidays one year. Those giant lights are fantastic!
      bermudaonion (Kathy)´s last [type] ..Kid Konnection: Crow

• At 2011.12.31 10:55, rhapsodyinbooks said:

Such fun pictures! I love the oversized bulbs too!

Happy New Year!
        rhapsodyinbooks´s last [type] ..New Year’s Eve 2011

• At 2011.12.31 21:17, Jenners said:

I love NYC at holiday time! Glad you go to enjoy it.
          Wishing you a wonderful 2012 filled with 5 star reads!

• At 2012.01.01 15:05, Jennifer said:

Thank you for sharing your fabulous pictures of New York.
            I have yet to visit New York but I would really love to visit it soon.

Happy New Year to you!
            Jennifer´s last [type] ..I’m Already Loving 2012

• At 2012.01.01 22:08, Colleen said:

Yes – the tourists are everywhere! I was over near the tree a couple of weeks ago and, as you describe, I was literally propelled along the sidewalk by the crowds!

Glad you enjoyed the visit – the pics are gorgeous! All the best for 2012!
              Colleen´s last [type] ..Sunday Salon: Hello 2012!

• At 2012.01.02 00:36, Natalie said:

honestly, a few parts of the trip were actually unpleasant because of the masses of people clogging the sidewalks. it wouldn’t be bad if people kept moving, but we were plagued by people who walked 4 and 5 across, or better yet, stopped in the middle of the sidewalk to make a call, take a photo, wax their legs, etc. :)

must be all those darn bridge and tunnel people from new jersey. mwa ha ha.

• At 2012.01.02 12:00, softdrink said:

I love the lights…who knew they’d look just like the mini ones?

Happy New Year!!
              softdrink´s last [type] ..12 for 12

• At 2012.01.02 19:21, Ti said:

NYC during the holidays is like no other city. Sounds like you had a good time. Happy New Year!
                Ti´s last [type] ..Ti’s Top 5 Books of 2011

• At 2012.01.02 19:58, Steph said:

I commend your bravery in heading into the Big Apple for NYE… I personally only like to be at home in my pjs eating chinese food to ring in the new year! It sounds like your relatives were lucky to have you as tour guide, though!

• At 2012.01.02 20:21, Belle Wong said:

Gorgeous pictures! Happy new year, Natalie!
                    Belle Wong´s last [type] ..Creative Every Day 2012

• At 2012.01.03 09:58, Dishy said:

LOVE the pix, Nat! So glad you had fun. Wishing you every happiness & much success this year. Here’s to 2012! XO
                      Dishy´s last [type] ..Low Sodium Spotlight: Johanna Chong

• At 2012.01.03 20:48, toothybooks said:

you’re such an amazing photographer! i love the pictures. hope you had a wonderful new year celebration with your family!!
                        toothybooks´s last [type] ..Review: Citizen Vince

• At 2012.01.04 14:03, Connie said:

Love NYC! I was up there right before New Year’s Eve one time and it was more like you were undulating through the crowd instead of walking. Too close for comfort! Happy 2012!!!
                          Connie´s last [type] ..Free Spirited, She Is!

• At 2012.01.05 11:52, Meg said:

How exciting to be in New York at this time of year! My sister said seeing the ball drop on New Year’s Eve has moved to the top of her to-do list, and I think she’s even talking about going next year. I’m sure it will be veritable insanity and I will like having a claustrophobia-induced freak-out, but I’m willing to tag along. I’ve only ever seen New York in the spring.
                            Meg´s last [type] ..Book review: ‘Insatiable’ by Meg Cabot

• At 2012.01.05 17:56, Cath @ Constance Reader said:

So much fun! There’s noplace like NY on New Years! Happy 2012. :)

• At 2012.01.07 11:40, kay @ Infiniteshelf said:

Even though I’m always happy to stay in for the holiday celebrations, I dream of visiting New York for this wonderful season. Your pictures convince me that I should – plus “a tidal wave of humanity” is my new favorite sentence.

• At 2012.01.07 19:53, Care said:

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!
                                  Care´s last [type] ..Loaned To Me Books

• At 2012.01.08 01:11, stacybuckeye said:

These are awesome photos, Natalie. You have a real talent :)
                                    stacybuckeye´s last [type] ..Today begins year 5!

• At 2012.01.09 12:47, Kerry M said:

LOVE that last photo of the bench! Awesome shot!
                                      Kerry M´s last [type] ..Friday Laugh: Facebook vs. Real Books

• At 2012.01.19 16:53, KKBMOM said:

Love your pictures!! I so miss NYC and you!