Featured Book: Little Old Lady Recipes by Meg Favreau

Today’s Weekend Cooking post is from a cookbook I received from my friends over at Quirk Books.  When I heard the pitch (and title of this book), I was sold.  With visions of comfort food and mothballs dancing through my head, I dove into the almost pocket-sized Little Old Lady Recipes by Meg Favreau.

The recipes didn’t disappoint, but I found myself wishing for photos of the completed recipes.  The photos of the ‘little old ladies’, along with their words of wisdom, were a nice touch!  Exotic (and daunting) ingredients–lard! sour milk! liver!–begged to be put to use, but since I’m a bit of a milksop when it comes to culinary adventure, I played it safe.

How could I resist recalling our Irish adventure with a nice Irish Soda Bread? And you know I put this bread on a Waterford dish as a nod to my Irish friends, right? Hee hee. Also, how about that little flag I whipped up?

The recipe was straightforward–only five ingredients–and a snap to make.  The recipe called for ‘plumping’ the raisins so I gave them a nice soak in boiling water.  If I learn nothing else from this cookbook, that this trick alone was worth it.  My golden raisins plumped up beautifully; I could really taste a difference when I sampled this bread.

Buttermilk was the only ingredient I didn't have on hand; I accidentally bought light but don't think it impacted the taste.

The recipe came together in three minutes and take heed: when the instructions say the dough will be sticky, it WILL be!

Look at those plump little raisins!

I baked this guy for 45 minutes and it came out perfectly.  Next time I make it, I’ll be more careful not to have loose flour on the top because it made the baked bread look a bit powdery.  No matter, it didn’t impact the taste a whit!  I sliced it up right out of the oven and we ate our bread and watched a photo slide show of our recent trip to Ireland.  Now that’s what Sunday mornings are made for!

I put a bit of butter on our slices and they were just divine!

IRISH SODA BREAD

Little Old Lady Recipes by Meg Favreau

• 2 1/4 cups flour, plus more for kneading
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2 cups raisins, plumped in hot water and drained
Mix ingredients in turn.  Add raisins.  Briefly knead dough on floured surface. Place into buttered and floured 8-inch round pan. Dough will be sticky.  Bake approximately 45 minutes in a 350F oven.  Makes 1 round loaf.
Thanks to Eric at Quirk Books for sending this cookbook my way!  Little Old Lady Recipes was published on November 1, 2011 and is available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and your local indie shops!
Gratuitous shot of Ant pretending to be Lord of the Manor on the grounds of Dromoland Castle.

• At 2011.11.06 13:56, Beth(bookaholicmom) said:

I love Irish Soda Bread but haven;t found a recipe I have been happy with. Your recipe looks like a keeper and I will have to give it a try!
    Beth(bookaholicmom)´s last blog post ..Weekend Cooking

• At 2011.11.06 15:13, Dishy said:

Hooray! When I spied this book on your TB read list I couldn’t wait for your review. So glad you enjoyed it. Your soda bread looks tasty and LOVE easy recipes. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for this one!

• At 2011.11.06 15:53, Beth F said:

I love Irish soda bread. Yummmmm. And how easy is that? The photo is lovely — look at that garden (oh and your guy ain’t bad either 🙂 )
        Beth F´s last blog post ..Weekend Cooking: Review: 52 Loaves by William Alexander

• At 2011.11.06 17:38, Jess - A Book Hoarder said:

I feel like I might be a better cook just having that adorable cover sitting on my counter but I don’t know if I would be daring enough to try some of the more….exciting ingredients. My husband’s aunt came out to visit from Wisconsin and brought a giant (gallon or so) jar of homemade lard and then explained to us the way she made it so “beautifully milky!” It was way too much for me to handle. I think I would stick with the soda bread.
          Jess – A Book Hoarder´s last blog post ..Catching up on awesome stuff!

• At 2011.11.06 21:04, Peggy @ Peggy Ann's Post said:

I love Irish soda bread too and there are so many recipes it is mind boggling! I will try this one. It is very simple and straightforward. Thanks
            Peggy @ Peggy Ann’s Post´s last blog post ..Weekends are for Cooking

• At 2011.11.07 11:33, Meg said:

Too fun! I love that you recalled your trip by making an Irish classic. 🙂 That bread sounds awesome. Might have to give it a whirl sometime!
              Meg´s last blog post ..When in Bath — run like the dickens

• At 2011.11.07 22:47, softdrink said:

Apologies to the soda bread (and the cook) but it looks like meatloaf.

However, I do love the stuff (the bread, not the meatloaf).
                softdrink´s last blog post ..Gone with the Wind