Our Irish Adventure: Days 3 & 4

The latest installment of our Ireland Adventure for family, friends, and anyone else interested in taking a peek!

Anthony continues to be stopped or greeted on an almost hourly basis by locals who seem keen to talk to him.  While in Dingle yesterday, a gentleman swooped in and asked Ant if he was a Westerner.  Apparently, wearing one’s hat backwards is the mark of a person from the west coast of Ireland.  Who knew?

Another friendly local who struck up a conversation with Ant, thinking he was native. (photo credit NAM, 2011)

I can understand why he’s mistaken from a local.  Between his coloring, the hat, and his new-found affinity for pints, he’s making himself right at home here!

Another pint of Smithwick's, please! (photo credit NAM, 2011)

We had a great day out on the Dingle Peninsula.  When we left Killarney, it was a bit gray and drizzly but as we made our way east, the sun broke through and the sky turned a gorgeous shade of azure.  We’ve had the BEST weather on our trip–no real rain to speak of and bright sun with crisp temperatures.  We’re totally smitten with Ireland.

Now try reading these signs AND driving (and sitting) on the opposite side that you're used to. (photo credit NAM, 2011)

On the drive back to Killarney, we stopped off at Inch Strand to check out the surfing conditions.  There were plenty of people in the water; we even dipped our shoes (unintentionally!).  By the way, this 10-22 lens I rented from BorrowLens.com* is unreal.

Surf's up at Inch Strand! (photo credit NAM, 2011)

As we drove back into town, I finally had my first minor smash up with our car–bashed the curb with the tire while traveling 35mph.  Ooops, it was bound to happen.

Today we headed northeast to our first castle, and we might never leave!  Ant was stalking about the grounds like the lord of the manor.  The staff here at the Dromoland Castle is so accommodating; we really feel like royalty!

Dromoland Castle, County Clare, Ireland (photo credit NAM, 2011)

The reception area features two suits of armor; the whole place has a bit of a Hogwarts feel–it’s magical!

Reception area at Dromoland Castle (photo credit NAM, 2011)

Our suite is palatial and the soaking tub is big enough to swim in.  We have a living room and separate bedroom with a sweeping view of the lake and grounds.  This place is heavenly and anyone who comes to Ireland without a visit here is truly missing a treasure!

We may just move into our suite here at the castle. (photo credit NAM, 2011)

High tea was dreamy (even though I had hot cocoa with marshmallows), and I tried cucumber sandwiches, scones with clotted cream (yum!!!), and some kind of petit four with chocolate and gold leaf.  We didn’t manage to make even a dent in the tea tray so they boxed it up and sent it back to our room for later.

We spent the remainder of daylight walking the grounds, stumbling upon walled gardens and hidden nooks and crannies.  While our stay here is short, we’re already making plans for our return visit!

*I am not an affiliate off BorrowLenses.com; I just love their service and this lens!

• At 2011.10.16 15:57, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

I’m enjoying visiting Ireland vicariously through you. We were in Northern Ireland earlier this year and our hotel room looked nothing like yours have.
    bermudaonion (Kathy)´s last blog post ..Weekend Cooking: Sugar, Sugar

• At 2011.10.16 16:14, Kay said:

I am loving taking this trip with you guys! Such a beautiful place. I went to the website and told my husband, ‘we need to go – there is golf’ – LOL. Enjoy, enjoy. Thanks for letting us tag along!
      Kay´s last blog post ..Saturday Snapshot – October 15 – Arkansas memories

• At 2011.10.16 17:35, Sandy said:

Uh, hello, your husband is gorgeous! And yes, he does look local (as if I really know what that would be, but I can imagine him fitting right in). I can’t even verbalize how amazing this all looks. I really want to stay in that castle. Some friends of our visited Ireland a few months ago, and they won’t stop talking about it, so I guess that needs to go on our bucket list.
        Sandy´s last blog post ..Sunday Salon: Flour on my iPod

• At 2011.10.16 17:49, Natalie said:

lol, isn’t he?!? hee hee. maybe i’m just partial but i have to tell you that he’s also super fun, laid back, and nerdy like me. we’re a swell match but i have to keep a close eye on him around these parts lest some irish lassie snap him up! and yes, you MUST come to ireland–i’m loving it and never really considered coming here until i learned i could sleep in castles and drive on the wrong side of the road. it’s heady living here!!! pass me a pint (of soda with ice!)

• At 2011.10.16 19:52, rhapsodyinbooks said:

Your suite looks like heaven, and with scones and clotted cream, I know that’s where you must be! Who are those two “guys” in the reception area though? They don’t look very heavenly! :–)
          rhapsodyinbooks´s last blog post ..October 16, 1859 – The Start of John Brown’s Raid on Harpers Ferry

• At 2011.10.16 20:07, Jenners said:

Your husband does look very very Irish! I could see why he is being mistaken for a native.
            Jenners´s last blog post ..RIP Review: The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff

• At 2011.10.17 10:55, Meg said:

I’m salivating — too gorgeous. And you were so wise to rent a lens for your trip! Spencer did that before attending a family wedding in Key West and just fell in love with the one he rented. You’re getting beautiful pictures, though much of that can be attributed to your talents as a photographer! 🙂
              Meg´s last blog post ..A moment of illumination

• At 2011.10.18 03:50, Natalie said:

i never realized renting lenses (and cameras) was even a thing but will now be availing myself of the service with frequency! i’m barely using my own 18-135 lens at all! i do love this 10-22 and might look for a used one when i get home.

• At 2011.10.17 14:18, A Southern Cousin said:

I feel like I am there with you. . . thanks for the pics, and enjoy your time together.

• At 2011.10.17 19:30, Dishy said:

Ant looks incredibly Irish; tell him to keep up the pints! He doesn’t have a wrinkle on him.

We visited Scandinavia when I was younger and rec’d a similar reaction from locals. They’d come over and speak to me & my dad in Norwegian, Swedish, etc. It wasn’t until after explaining we were Americans, they’d speak (perfect) English! Very cool.

Your trip looks amazing, Nat. Maybe you can plan a longer stay next time!

PS: Your photos are gorgeous.

• At 2011.10.18 03:51, Natalie said:

well, ant is earning a varsity letter in pint drinking–don’t worry about him! i’m sticking with soda because someone has to drive. and he is pretty wrinkle free for almost-39, isn’t he?! he’s getting cuter with age while i look like 10 miles of bad road. mwa hahaha. as for next time, ant’s already got plans for more castles and villages.

• At 2011.10.18 18:32, Dishy said:

You made me LOL. 10 miles of bad road…. NOT.

• At 2011.10.18 08:44, Mary said:

I’m writing down the name of the castle – wow! Funny about the reception your hubby is getting. When we were there one of my sisters remarked that everywhere we went it was like seeing family!
                    Mary´s last blog post ..Guest Post: Jodi Thomas – The Comforts Of Home

• At 2011.10.18 20:47, Weezer said:

I’m so enjoying your photos! Tell ant I’m counting – I have eyes everywhere! Keep those pictures coming! Lv ya XO
                      the weez

• At 2011.10.19 03:39, Natalie said:

I shall tell Lord Anthony that his sister-in-law is minding his pints! He’s getting pretty crazy over here–two or three a day! Miss ya, sis!
                        xoxo

• At 2011.10.18 20:52, Weezer said:

Wow, can u believe I figured out how to comment…. I’m good! I made up a website – LOL

• At 2011.10.18 23:58, stacybuckeye said:

Okay, now my bucket list includes staying at an Irish castle!
                          stacybuckeye´s last blog post ..First Quiz

• At 2011.10.19 17:06, Amy said:

Your sweet is gorgeous! I love the suits or armor in the main room and the red carpet! I adored tea in Ireland, it was served so nicely. I am sure the soaking tub was great after a long day of sight seeing!
                            Amy´s last blog post ..Between Heaven and Mirth: Why Joy, Humor and Laughter are at the Heart of the Spiritual Life by James Martin, SJ

• At 2011.10.19 18:41, toothybooks said:

your photographs belong in a travel magazine for ireland! they look absolutely amazing! sounds like ya’ll are have a splendid time over there and i can see why it’s so difficult trying to navigate around the city.
                              toothybooks´s last blog post ..Review: Fathermucker

• At 2011.10.24 13:46, softdrink said:

Gorgeous photos! You’re making me long for a return trip to Ireland.
                                softdrink´s last blog post ..A Little Bit about Me

• At 2011.10.29 14:08, Christy said:

When my red-haired sister went to Ireland, she was definitely mistaken for being a local. When she told an Irish woman that sometimes she is told she looks British (which our ancestors were), the Irish woman very firmly told her that she looked Irish, not British.
                                  Christy´s last blog post ..Zeitoun by Dave Eggers