Book Merchandise: Do You Buy It?

When the first Harry Potter movie was released, a wave of movie-related merchandise rolled into local retailers, and I was swept up in the Potter-mania.  My collection grew to include a Bertie Botts Every Flavor Bean cookie jar, a snow globe, and several HP Christmas ornaments.  Before this, I’d never owned any book-related merchandise.

I chipped a corner of the jar's lid and ended up throwing it away.

Last Christmas, I was shopping at our local Toys R Us when I came upon an entire aisle devoted to the Twilight phenomenon.  Now, this wasn’t your run-of-the-mill line of movie (or book) merchandise.  In addition to traditional action figures, there were lap blankets, pillows, and bedding (!) emblazoned with Edward Cullen’s face.  Key rings, necklaces, lunch boxes, shirts, and posters rounded out the display.

Action figures and image via NECA

I purchased a poster of (a shirtless) Taylor Lautner for my sister but resisted the throw blanket and crushed velvet accent pillows.  I might have tossed a Team Jacob keyring into the cart for her Christmas stocking, too, but who’s keeping track?

With the upcoming film-adaption of The Hunger Games coming to the big screen (3/23/12), I’m fairly certain merchandise will be close behind.  In fact, some items are already available for purchase.

Accessories and images via NECA

I’m not sure how extensive The Hunger Games merchandise line will be, but if action figures are going to be sold, I’m hoping for a battery operated, hiccuping Haymitch who, when activated, will stumble around and fall off my desk or bookshelf.

So, have you ever purchased any book merchandise?  Don’t be afraid to fess up!  Calendars, mugs, t-shirts, an Edward Cullen Snuggie, perhaps?  Would you buy a Katniss action figure if one is manufactured?

• At 2011.09.26 09:00, Care said:

I just finished The Hunger Games AND even posted my review. It’s not really a review but whatever. I figure everyone know what it the book is about and so I never mention plot.

and NO, I will not likely be buying any merchandise. Can’t think of anything I have every purchased that was ‘inspired’ by a book…
    Care´s last blog post ..The Hunger Games

• At 2011.09.26 11:52, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

I can’t think of any that I’ve bought, but that doesn’t mean I won’t!
      bermudaonion (Kathy)´s last blog post ..Mailbox Monday

• At 2011.09.26 12:46, Sandy said:

Well, I have kids, and I live 15 minutes away from Hogsmeade, so yes we have all of this crap. My kids have spend so much money on Harry Potter stuff at Universal I don’t even want to admit. My daughter also has Twilight clothes and a collectible Xmas ornament and posters. I just shake my head.
        Sandy´s last blog post ..SIBA11: The Authors

• At 2011.09.27 20:34, Natalie said:

i visited hogsmeade last fall–it was a ZOO–but love how the folks at universal truly captured the feel of harry’s world. i didn’t buy anything while visiting only because the lines were outrageous in every store.

• At 2011.09.26 14:04, Steph said:

I have collected bookish merchandise over the years. When the first Harry Potter films came out and there was the deluge of memorabilia, I wound up with a ton of it, not least of which was a model Hogwarts Express train set! I also have a Golden Snitch clock, and I really wanted a time turner style necklace. Oh how I could use one of those!

Also, when I was a little girl I was obsessed with Anne of Green Gables and had a special Anne doll that I was given for Christmas when I was about 10 or 11, I think. That was pretty awesome, even if it was the kind of doll that sits on a shelf rather than gets played with.
          Steph´s last blog post ..Reason # 12094735 that I love my husband

• At 2011.09.26 15:32, Kathleen said:

I definitely bought a few Harry Potter items through the years, mostly for my son. I’m sure I must have bought other items but just can’t think of what they are right now. I have to confess that I have still not read The Hunger Games OR Twilight! I know that puts me in the minority!
            Kathleen´s last blog post ..A Little Bit of Non-Fiction but Good Fiction on the Way

• At 2011.09.26 16:56, Jac @ For Love And Books said:

Oddly; I have never purchased movie/book merchandise. And that REALLY shocks me actually, because I think I would be into it! I may have to start with the Hunger Games items! (And I woudl so love a Haymitch action figure!)
              Jac @ For Love And Books´s last blog post ..Review: Only His by Susan Mallery

• At 2011.09.26 19:05, Gwen said:

I was getting ready to say no and then I remembered that my book journal is Pride, Prejudice & Zombies. Guilty.
                Gwen´s last blog post ..The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

• At 2011.09.27 09:04, Meg said:

Oh goodness — I’ve totally purchased book-related merchandise, and lots of it! Plus, I make “Harry Potter” scarves . . . so, you know. I’m biased in favor of it, haha. 🙂 Just yesterday I found the “Twilight” shirt a friend bought me when we were both working at Borders, and I have a wide assortment of “Twilight” and “HP”-themed pins I used to wear on my lanyard. I don’t know that I will buy a ton of anything in the future — like “Hunger Games,” for example — but I think it’s really fun!
                  Meg´s last blog post ..Book review: ‘The Kingdom of Childhood’ by Rebecca Coleman

• At 2011.09.27 12:07, Jody said:

Nope, I can’t say I have. I had a friend purchase me a Viggo Mortensen poster as Aragorn and buy me a Harry Potter cake for my birthday (yes, she ROCKS!) but I haven’t done it myself and strangely enough neither have my obsessed-with-famous-book kids.
                    Jody´s last blog post ..Know thy reader

• At 2011.09.27 20:06, Jenners said:

The thing is, most of this merchandise is MOVIE merchandise not book merchandise. So I don’t know if it counts!
                      Jenners´s last blog post ..My 44th Birthday Giveaway Extravaganza

• At 2011.09.27 20:36, Natalie said:

details, details. the merchandise is from a movie based on a book. lol. should i fess up to owning a jane austen action figure now or at some other time? 🙂

• At 2011.09.28 08:38, Dishy said:

I can’t recall buying any, but I know my kids have. Maddie recently bought a t shirt for one of the Rick Riordan books and wears it all the time.

PS: I have yet to read the Hunger Games books. I assume Haymitch is a character from the series?
                        Dishy´s last blog post ..Homemade Flour Tortillas

• At 2011.09.29 08:53, Natalie said:

dishy, please make haste and get a copy of ‘the hunger games’! and yes, haymitch is one of my faves. he’s such a cur…

• At 2011.09.29 09:44, Dishy said:

i think maddie’s read the series. good thing i have her – she’s always insisting i read books she’s enjoyed. otherwise i tend to avoid fiction.

• At 2011.09.29 00:25, Jess - A Book Hoarder said:

Nat you are killing me! Don’t you know that one woman’s trash is another woman’s treasure. I would stolen have taken your chipped-cast-off-throwing-out-awesome-Harry-Potter-merch Bertie Botts jar!!

I’m not really someone who buys book merchandise just for the sake of buying it (which I never realized until now and I am actually really surprised by it) but I do have a ton of HP stuff that I have bought and made.
                          Jess – A Book Hoarder´s last blog post ..City of Fallen Angels – Cassandra Clare

• At 2011.09.29 08:57, Natalie said:

i am the QUEEN of throwing things away. for years i threw out my tax papers until my mom said i was supposed to hang on to them for 7 years. hahaha. i’d get my taxes done, pay some exorbitant sum to the state and government, and then toss the paperwork. whoopsie. i’m a minimalist, what can i say? as for your HP stuff, your HP themed party was so awesome that i’m sure you have a ton of goodies! i loved your decor, food, and costumes. maybe i’ll go as hermoine this year…

• At 2011.10.01 13:45, Bybee said:

For a time, buyers of the book Charlotte’s Web, could also get a little silver necklace with a pendant of a spider in a web. I dallied with buying it for myself.
                            Bybee´s last blog post ..Canadian Book Challenge 5: Dance on the Earth – Margaret Laurence

• At 2011.10.01 18:12, Erin said:

I WANT THAT HAYMITCH ACTION FIGURE!!! Oh my goodness, that would be amazing. I don’t really buy book-related merchandise. I have some free promotional stuff: buttons, tote bags, t-shirts. I do prefer the kind that’s book-based, though, not movie-based.
                              Erin´s last blog post ..Reading Buddies Wrap-Up: “Sea of Poppies” by Amitav Ghosh

• At 2011.10.03 12:55, Juju at Tales of Whimsy... said:

I don’t. But I get a kick out of it.

• At 2011.10.05 20:32, toothybooks said:

that is the coolest cookie jar i’ve ever seen! where did you get it? i think i’m going to have to see if i can get my hands on one of those jars off of ebay or something. i don’t think i own any book related merchandises although my brother did bring me home a chocolate frog when he visited the harry potter amusement park in florida. but i don’t think that should really count.
                                  toothybooks´s last blog post ..Review: Domestic Violets

• At 2011.10.08 09:24, Christy said:

I won a toy Golden Snitch when I went to the last book’s release party at a bookstore. The Snitch doesn’t do anything though, so I’ve thought about giving it away or tossing it.

I also had a Lord of the Rings calendar with pictures from the films.
                                    Christy´s last blog post ..11th Annual National Book Festival, Washington D.C. : Day One