Featured Book: The Cookiepedia by Stacy Adimando

Title: The Cookiepedia: Mixing, Baking, and Reinventing the Classics

Author: Stacy Adimando (photos by Tara Striano)

Genre/Pages: Cookbook/160

Publisher: Quirk Books

Release Date: September 6, 2011

Source: Publisher

From the indie publisher who brought us Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children comes a dedicated cookie cookbook that will set your heart aflutter.  With drool-worthy photography by Tara Striano, the pages of The Cookiepedia come to life, inspiring even the most inept of bakers (read: me) to grab a bowl and get mixing!

Anthony and I perused The Cookiepedia together–I had to bake him any cookie of his choosing as part of an earlier negotiation (he went to Costco with me)–and he opted for a classic: Peanut Butter Cookies.  Yum!

I love that classic criss-cross pattern! (photo credit: NAM, 2011)

Stacy Adimando, Food Editor of Every Day with Rachel Ray, has put together a great baking source that should be a staple in every kitchen.  The recipes are indexed and grouped by themes–Nutty & Seedy, Fruity, etc–and there are photos of each cookie.  Above everything else, I value photographs in my cookbooks because I’m a visual learner; if I can’t see what my end result should look like, my focus wanes and things generally go downhill from there.

I made two batches--one with granulated sugar on top, and one without. (photo credit: NAM, 2011)

These cookies were a snap to make this morning and I had all the ingredients on hand.  Well, my eggs were expired (9/8) but seeing that I’ve already devoured three cookies with no ill effects, I won’t worry too much about it.

Anyone want a cookie (at 8:30am)? (photo credit: NAM, 2011)

Peanut Butter Cookies by Stacy Adimando (instructions a tad modified by me)

• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg (try not to used expired eggs)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup creamy (or crunchy) peanut butter (not natural, though)
  • 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • granulated sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1.  Cream butter and sugars for a minute or two until they look light and fluffy.  Add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.

2.  Add the peanut butter–get every last drop with a spatula–and mix until completely combined.  Mixture will start to look silky and smell peanuty.

3.  Sift the flour with the baking soda and salt.  Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture a bit at a time.  Mix on a low speed until combined. Now you’re in business.

4.  Drop tablespoon sized balls of dough on to lightly greased or parchment paper covered cookie sheets, leaving about 3″ between them for growth.  Using a fork (dipped in sugar), press criss-cross pattern into the top of each dough ball.

5.  Bake for 8-12 minutes, until edges begin to brown.

6.  Enjoy!

Yields approximately 3 dozen cookies

Hello there! (photo credit NAM, 2011)

Great photos and adorable illustrations add whimsy to my new favorite cookie cookbook.  My sister and I are going to have a ton of new recipes to try out this holiday season.

Great images and illustrations! (photo credit NAM, 2011)

And, look! I might have even saved a few cookies for you (or my neighbors)!

Enough cookies left to share! (photo credit NAM, 2011)

The Weekend Cooking feature is graciously hosted by Candace at Beth Fish Reads.

• At 2011.09.10 11:34, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

Yummy! I love that the book includes photos!

• At 2011.09.10 12:19, Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said:

Sounds like a great book! Those peanut butter cookies look so good, perfect with the cold glass of milk.

• At 2011.09.10 12:31, Uniflame said:

What a great looking book is this! I will be adding this to my wishlist!

• At 2011.09.10 12:40, rhapsodyinbooks said:

Very cute illustrations! And that last picture is for the COOKIE GIVEAWAY, right? (ha ha) I love peanut butter cookies but unfortunately my favorite way to eat them is hot and gooey and half-baked, so not many get actually “made” when I “make” them.

• At 2011.09.10 13:19, Nan said:

Great, great book. I think I might give it to my daughter for Christmas! Thanks.

• At 2011.09.10 13:52, caite@a lovely shore breeze said:

they must have the fork pattern! I believe it is the law!! lol

• At 2011.09.10 15:25, Beth F said:

Yummmmmm. I am supposed to have a copy of this coming my way — I sure hope so. I love your photos and that cute box, but I’m not sure there would be anything left to share with the neighbors. 🙂

• At 2011.09.12 08:01, Natalie said:

that box of cookies for the neighbors? well, let’s just say it’s a good thing they don’t read my blog because it never made it over there. anthony and i managed to scarf down all the cookies over the course of the weekend. THIS is why i rarely bake.

• At 2011.09.10 17:54, TheBookGirl said:

I always want a cookie no matter what time of day it is 🙂

This book looks terrific!

• At 2011.09.11 10:36, softdrink said:

The cookies look great, but I kept getting distracted by the PacMan glass, which is awesome!

• At 2011.09.12 07:59, Natalie said:

yes, my husband and i live in a time warp. 8-track players, turntables, pac man drinking glasses, anything and everything retro works for us. 🙂 we also have smurfs and star wars drinking glasses. it’s always fun around here.

• At 2011.09.12 13:55, Jenners said:

This is one of those books that I need to pretend I never saw and don’t know existed.

• At 2011.09.12 18:08, toothybooks said:

those cookies look amazing! baking is about the only thing i can do without possibly burning down the house.

• At 2011.09.13 13:32, Trish said:

Is it rude to mention that I’m drooling a little bit over your pictures? 😉 I’m in love with peanut butter cookies and those look too good. Off to bookmark this book on my wishlist…

• At 2011.09.13 19:23, Heather said:

You are making me want a new cookie cookbook.

• At 2011.09.14 11:50, Dishy said:

OOh love the layout & visuals! Your photos are making me drool Nat, I LOVE PB cookies!