Weekend Cooking: On a Stick by Matt Armendariz

With my love of everything miniature, it’s only natural I’d love a cookbook featuring 80 recipes for mini meals and treats impaled on a variety of sticks.  Matt Armendariz’s On a Stick appeals to readers on so many levels: there are whimsical recipes, food photographs that will leave you salivating, and clear, simple recipes that even I can follow!

A food photographer based in Los Angeles, Matt is in his element when it comes to food.  His blog, Matt Bites, is a photographic marvel; the food staging alone is enough to keep me coming back each day.  His witty content and gorgeous photos elevate his website into the upper echelon of the foodie blogs.

While many of the recipes are classics, their unique presentation, reworked ingredient lists, and accompanying sauces lend pizzaz to tried and true goodies.  The format of this book–bright, landscape pages with brilliant photos–lends itself to inspiration; even the most bumbling of chefs, myself included, will be motivated to get into the kitchen.

Cocktails on a stick? Yes, please!  Does it get more fun than this?

This book would be such a terrific hostess or bridal shower gift and all the courses are covered.  The recipes are great for parties and they definitely have potential with kids.  The novelty of eating food from a stick might be enough to sway the pickiest eaters into trying their veggies!

Published in May by Quirk Books, On a Stick is my new go-to cookbook for fun food with a great presentation.  I’ll be kissing my traditional Halloween cupcakes goodbye in favor of popcorn balls on a stick for this year’s party.

Quirk Books has such fun offerings, too (Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children, anyone?).  I’m looking forward to reviewing their upcoming release, Cookiepedia (September 6th); the mere thought of baking cookies has me counting the days until Christmas!

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Candace over at Beth Fish Reads.

• At 2011.08.21 22:35, Jac said:

I so want this book!!! Everything tastes better when on a stick!

• At 2011.08.21 23:08, Joy Weese Moll said:

What a fun concept for a cookbook!

• At 2011.08.22 06:40, Beth F said:

Oh yes — I’ve been looking forward to Cookiepedia too! I love the idea of a cocktail on a stick. This one looks beautiful and sounds like a lot of fun too.

• At 2011.08.22 09:09, rhapsodyinbooks said:

I love that idea – I so hate getting all messy from touching stuff that’s handed around at parties!

• At 2011.08.22 09:34, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

Oh my gosh, that looks fabulous!

• At 2011.08.22 17:00, Margot said:

Your photos of his photos are great. I love a cookbook with great pictures. This looks different enough to give it a try. I’m very curious about the cocktail on a stick.

• At 2011.08.22 19:16, Belle Wong said:

This looks like a fun cookbook. That first picture of the opened cookbook looks like cheesecake on a stick – mmmmm!

• At 2011.08.22 20:25, Natalie said:

it is cheesecake on a stick. i mean, how can you go wrong with that?! i’m going to test drive some of the recipes soon and promise to post lots of photos.

• At 2011.08.24 13:17, Dishy said:

Oh this book is *so* up your alley. I mean, on your skewer! wah-wah-waaahh

The author just photographed Sodium Girl’s soon-to-be-published cookbook, too, I believe. She did a post about his studio. It looked AMAZING.

PS: jam is forthcoming. I promise. xo