I’m Just Wild About Harry…

Since seeing Daniel Radcliffe on Broadway last month, I’ve been on a bit of a Harry Potter kick.  My summer vacation from school is waning, and I’m wrapping it up with a Potter marathon.  What could be better than that?

It’s been a while since I reread any of the series, and I fell off the movie wagon after The Order of the Phoenix.  I know, I know.  To remedy that, I purchased the movies I’d missed and plan to watch them as soon as I finish off the books.  After that, I’ll scoot out and finally see the last movie in the theater.

Rereading the books brings back fond memories.  I remember hearing about this series during a graduate class I was taking back in 1998.  One of our assignments in this Literacy in Education class was to keep a reading response journal with a 4th grade student in our professor’s class. (She taught 4th grade by day, college classes by night.)  My student, Marissa, was discussing this ‘new book about a boy who lived under the stairs who turned out to be a wizard’.   I didn’t really think much of it but as the semester progressed, her journal entries became longer as she told me more and more about this Harry Potter.

Finally, I broke down and bought a copy just so I would have more to discuss with her in our weekly journal conversations.  I’ve never been so thankful for a book recommendation in my life!  Marissa, who today must be about 23, was responsible for sharing this magical world with me.

Are you a Harry Potter hold out?  If so, why?  If you’re a HP lover like me, can you remember how you heard about this series?

• At 2011.08.03 08:48, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

We all love Harry Potter. I think I first heard about it from my sister, but I’m not really sure. Daniel Radcliffe looks so young in that photo.

• At 2011.08.03 11:44, Jac @ For Love And Books said:

I didn’t start reading Harry Potter until right before the first movie came out – I think I was about 20, and my friends all wanted to go to opening night of the movie – so I thought I should read the book. I pretty quickly read the rest that were out and have been hooked ever since!

• At 2011.08.03 15:32, Sandy said:

HUGE fans in my house. My daughter and I have read the series several times. Both of my kids and I listened to the whole series on audio over a period of a year (the most fabulous audios ever made). And we have seen all the movies in the theater and own all the movies. And we have a Harry Potter Scene It game. And of course, here in Orlando, we have the Harry Potter theme park at Universal. We are insane.

• At 2011.08.03 16:24, toothybooks said:

i’ve been telling myself all summer to read the harry potter series and i still haven’t done it yet. shame on me! i think this post just inspired me to start rereading the series though. i’m going to pick up book one as soon as i click submit on this comment. i read the first four books of the series and then i fell off the band wagon and never finished the series. =[ i think i stopped watching after harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban (which happens to be my favorite book out of the four hp books i’ve read). Ok no more stalling, I’m rereading book one now…

• At 2011.08.03 23:35, stacybuckeye said:

I was working at a bookstore when they came out so I ‘had’ to read the first one. Liked it, but didn’t fall into obsession until book 3. Still need to see parts 1 & 2 of the last book. I am soooo looking forward to it.

• At 2011.08.04 12:56, Stephanie said:

I don’t remember how I discovered Harry, but I was hooked from page one!!

• At 2011.08.04 14:35, Meg said:

Aww, yay! Enjoyed hearing your HP story — and yes, everyone has one. I was a total Harry hold-out until the summer when Deathly Hallows was released, and then I hurried to get (and read) the six books prior to that one. My sister and dad have been huge fans since the series’ U.S. release, and Kate grew up reading the books. I don’t know why I waited so long to get on the bandwagon . . . I’m in epic love with Rowling’s works and had a Big Ugly Cry when we saw the final film a few weeks ago.

Harry Potter is actually the only series I’ve seriously considered rereading . . . next to Megan McCafferty’s Jessica Darling books, that is. I don’t know if it would be the same, starting over with HP, but we know so much (everything?) now, it would be very interesting.

• At 2011.08.05 08:58, Christy said:

Love your story about how you ended up reading HP! My mom is a school librarian so the first one was around the house as she was reading it for work. I thought it was good but I wasn’t hooked. Then the summer of 2003, when Order of the Phoenix came out, I lived in an above-store apartment with my sisters and two other girls. One of them had books one through five and I stayed up too late several nights reading them.

• At 2011.08.05 10:33, Care said:

Few sentences are more wistfully sad than “My summer vacation from school is waning”…

and what a lovely story about your 4th grader and her book recommendation.

I have finally put HP on my tbr.

• At 2011.08.05 20:37, Dishy said:

I’d heard of the books a while before reading them at the recommendation of a dear friend. She and I shared/share a love of many things, so when she lent me the first book, I knew it’d be good. And boy, was it. I sped through the rest, as they were published, and then moved onto the movies. Maddie is now a voracious fan, and Georgia as well. John has only seen the movies. We keep encouraging him to read the series, but there’s so little time in his day for reading. Strike that, there’s so little time for HP when he’s reading Norm Abrams.

• At 2011.08.06 13:28, Kathleen said:

I am definitely a HP fan! My son, who is now 17, brought the books to my attention. We read most of them together and have seen every movie. We were sad to see the last movie, just a week ago. We were reminiscing about how we had waited in line for two hours on the day that the first movie came out in theaters. My son has been rereading the books over the last several weeks and I plan to do the same, one of these days!

• At 2011.08.09 00:32, Jess - A Book Hoarder said:

I love this story! That is a great way to have been introduced to the Harry and a great idea from your professor. I was going into high school when HP was released and I remember hearing about it for almost a year before I picked up the book. I remember being a page or two in thinking “I don’t know what all the fuss is about” and that was my last thought before obsession hit.

• At 2011.08.10 18:15, Alita said:

I love your Harry Potter story! To be introduced to it by someone nearly the same age as Harry is amazing. Me, on the other hand, I didn’t start reading until I think the first 4 books were out. After hearing about all the hype and hoopla, my roommate at collage convinced me to read the first book, and guess what? I wasn’t hooked. It wasn’t until the following year that I tried it again during a bout of strep throat, and devoured the first 4 books in two weeks. I reread the whole series last year and it was wonderful, if a bit emotionally overwhelming.