A Colorful Getaway

We just returned from a long weekend in Vermont and scrolling through my photos, I noticed a theme: colors.  Here are a few of my favorites:

I was frothy for the orange one but the $95 price tag cured me.

I’m such a sucker for all things vintage.  I collect mid-century typewriters, rotary phones, and school-themed goodies (globes, lockers, wall maps, crayon boxes, and more).  While I loved these phones I found at an antique emporium in Bennington, Vermont, the prices were more than I was willing to spend.  (I later found the orange phone on eBay for $40.)

I've never eaten a beet in my life but wanted to buy ALL of these guys!

We spent Saturday morning feasting our way through the Brattleboro Farmers Market and the produce and baked goods weren’t only gorgeous but were also delicious.  (And we should know, as we sampled most all of the baked goodies available!)  We hit the Dorset Farmers Market on Sunday after a bracing dip in the Dorset Quarry.

A medley of mocs at the recently renovated Vermont Country Store--the store looks GREAT!

When I was a kid, it was an annual summer tradition to buy a pair of Minnetonka moccasins (Thunderbird style, as pictured above) at the end of our summer vacations to Long Beach Island, NJ.  I would agonize for days over the color choices (white, red, navy) and would wear them all school-year long.

Found this fine Irish lad in a cafe in Brattleboro.

And lastly, I’m real sucker for Irish accents and lads with Irish coloring.  This friendly guy was so cute that I had to get photo…and my hubby didn’t mind at all.

• At 2011.07.14 16:51, Ti said:

That guy was sweet to allow you to take his pic. Cute too!

• At 2011.07.14 18:25, Natalie said:

lol…that guy actually IS my hubby. 🙂

• At 2011.07.14 18:30, Kathleen said:

Sounds and looks like you had a fabulous getaway! Those vintage phones are priceless. I had a yellow princess style phone when I was a teenager. I’d love to have one of those again.

• At 2011.07.14 18:41, Natalie said:

ant bought me a vintage pink princess phone for christmas two years ago–i LOVE it except that the ringer is insanely loud! i have it on my nightstand and when it rings, i jump.

• At 2011.07.14 23:22, Lisa said:

Love those phones!

• At 2011.07.15 08:02, vivienne said:

I love this post! It had me wishing I could jump on a plane and visit. I used to have shoes like that too when I was a kid. Love the vintage phones.

• At 2011.07.15 12:32, Jody said:

Ooo, I love the phones. May have to scour locally to find me one of those as I loathe the cordless techno-beasts I currently have.

Oh, and the dream boat’s pretty cute too ;).

• At 2011.07.15 14:52, Dishy said:

Tell Ant he’s looking mighty fine as always.. Ggrrrrrrowwwl! LOL

Love the pics; we were wondering if you were following in our footsteps! Glad to see you had such fun on your bday weekend! We didn’t go to the general store, only Mother’s Myrick’s and Northshire. Oh, and Famous Footwear, TWICE, but that doesn’t quite count, does it?

XO

• At 2011.07.20 11:57, Natalie said:

ha! down, dishy! down, girl! 🙂 i swear he’s better looking now than when we first met 19 years ago. too bad i now look like 10 miles of bad road. mwa ha ha. we did hit up mother’s for mini-lemon lulus and the northshire for a bagful of books. too bad you missed the country store–they just completed a big reno and it looks great. xo

• At 2011.07.15 17:27, Amy said:

What a great weekend! I love the photo of the multi-colored phones…and wasn’t that Irish guy so nice to let you take his pic? Your hubby, too!

Oh wow, I remember lovin’ the moccasins…they were popular when I was in grade school and college!

• At 2011.07.15 17:45, A Southern Cousin said:

Snark, snark, snark!

• At 2011.07.19 14:51, kay said:

I love all the colors, but I have to say, the first picture is by far my favorite! All the old phones, it makes me a little nostalgic.

• At 2011.07.25 17:02, Meg said:

Those phones are definitely awesome and I love your colorful photos! Is it weird that I was totally obsessed with moccasins as a kid? I got my first pair from Kmart when I was in fifth grade — and darn if I didn’t think I was cool. They were black with multicolored stitching, and I’m pretty sure they were designed for old and sophisticated ladies. Imagine a 10-year-old rocking those babies, though. Classy.

• At 2011.08.05 12:25, avisannschild said:

Love these pics, but I’m totally shocked at the price of that phone! Who knew such things would be “worth something some day”!