Monday Mailbox: Books and Birthday Goodies

I didn’t get much in the way of books this week save a purchased copy of Smokin’ Seventeen by Janet Evanovich (I interviewed her!!) and a copy of Last Night at Chateau Marmont by Lauren Weisberger courtesy of Atria Books

but I did receive some early birthday gifts.  Since getting a digital SLR camera for my birthday in 2009, I’ve been toting it around in my purse, a less than ideal mode of transportation.  I discovered several companies out there filling the camera/purse niche and ultimately went with Kelly Moore Bags.  I selected two different bags–one for every day (personal belongings, Kindle, and camera) and one for travel (personal belongings, camera, Kindle, and laptop).

Kelly Moore B-Hobo

The everyday bag–B-Hobo in gray–arrived on Thursday afternoon, and I immediately filled it with my stuff.  I carry a full-size wallet, makeup bag, tiny umbrella, pencil case, iPhone, sunglasses (in a hard-shell case), gum, and Kindle.  It accommodated everything PLUS my camera(Canon Rebel with an 18-55mm lens) and spare battery.

The bag came nicely packaged, has a great shape and style, and looks well-made.  Do I wish the bag was real leather? Yes, I feel the price justifies it.  Am I happy with the product?  Well, I love the look and the bag’s ability to hold all my stuff but am reserving final judgment for a few months to see how well the bag holds up.

The other bag, a Libby in orange, is for traveling so I can carry one bag as opposed to three (camera, purse, laptop).  I think this bag will be too large and heavy (when filled) for everyday use but will be great when I’m on the go.

Do you carry a camera in your purse?  If so, do you just toss it in there like I formerly did?

• At 2011.06.27 01:24, Jess - A Book Hoarder said:

My camera is in my bag at all times and I’m sure it needs more care than it receives. I actually got paint on the case today when I took it out to take pictures of the family painting my parent’s house…oops!

I can’t believe you fit all that stuff in that adorable B-Hobo bag! If it holds up I totally want one.
    Jess – A Book Hoarder´s last blog post ..Mailbox Monday

• At 2011.06.27 02:11, Mystica said:

Both bags are gorgeous!
      Mystica´s last blog post ..Mailbox Monday 27th June

• At 2011.06.27 07:01, Mary (Bookfan) said:

Well Happy (early) Birthday! I really like the first bag because I prefer on handle. They both look great, though, and very functional. Enjoy!
        Mary (Bookfan)´s last blog post ..Mailbox Monday – June 27

• At 2011.06.27 09:18, Steph said:

Ooooh, your new bags are so pretty! Definitely great choices for pre-birthday celebrations! 😉
          Steph´s last blog post ..“Heads You Lose” by Lisa Lutz & David Hayward

• At 2011.06.27 10:28, Amy said:

Happy pre-birthday 🙂 Very lovely bags. I just throw my camera in my purse but I just have a little one. I have a little mini pocket for it in my purse that keeps it moderately protected 🙂
            Amy´s last blog post ..Review: Handmade Love by Julie Enszer

• At 2011.06.27 11:29, Ann said:

I can’t remember the last Janet Evanovich book I read, but I don’t think it was this one. Thanks for the reminder.
              Ann

• At 2011.06.27 13:56, Jody said:

The bags are super pretty! I’m such a cheapo I do thrift store buys just so buyer’s remorse doesn’t kick in after I try and stuff all my crap in it ;). I don’t carry my camera in it because it’s a giant DSLR that wouldn’t fit anyway.
                Jody´s last blog post ..On my nightstand, counter, coffee table and library box

• At 2011.06.27 21:15, Natalie said:

jody, that’s what these purses are designed to hold–DSLRs and giant lenses–that’s why i ordered them. 🙂

• At 2011.06.27 16:18, avisannschild said:

Happy early birthday! I also just toss my camera in my purse, but mine is small (and does have a small case too). Love the orange bag — but then I’m a big fan of orange!
                  avisannschild´s last blog post ..Mailbox Monday (June 27) + Blogger Meet-Up

• At 2011.06.27 17:26, Kathleen said:

Love your new bags. I just toss my camera in a small carrying case into my purse but I like the idea of buying something larger that would also accommodate my Kindle. I’m sensing a future shopping expedition on my part!
                    Kathleen´s last blog post ..Thanks for not forgetting me!

• At 2011.06.27 19:20, Alita said:

I love the grey bag! I have a small camera, but yeah I just toss it, in its case, in my purse. If I had a more expensive camera I would definitely use it as an excuse to get a fancy bag like one of these.

Happy early birthday!
                      Alita´s last blog post ..Weekly Round Up (06.26.11)

• At 2011.06.27 21:56, Jenners said:

Happy Birthday!! Love your handbags … though I go for as small as possible. And I do toss a camera in my bag … but it is a cheap little point and shoot.
                        Jenners´s last blog post ..Mini Reviews: The Bucolic Plague, Gods In Alabama and Ten Degrees of Reckoning

• At 2011.06.28 11:39, Anna said:

I don’t carry a purse (gasp!…but I have an LL Bean messenger bag that goes with me to work) but I do love the first bag. Happy birthday!
                          Anna´s last blog post ..Review: Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

• At 2011.06.28 15:11, Meg said:

Oh, girl — I feel you on the camera bag issue. I do throw my (heavy) Canon Rebel T1i into my regular (also pretty heavy) purse when I’m on the go, but I’m constantly getting lectured about how I’m going to scratch/damage/otherwise destroy my camera by touting it around without padding. I’ve been in the market for a cute bag that I could function as both a purse and camera bag and not kill my shoulder, but haven’t found one yet… will check these out! Definitely let us know how you like it a few months down the road!
                            Meg´s last blog post ..Book review: ‘The Joke’s On Me’ by Laurie Boris

• At 2011.06.28 19:14, Constance Reader said:

Cute! Love the orange one, especially!

• At 2011.06.29 11:51, kay said:

Oh, those bags look great! I love to have huge handbags I can throw everything in. I don’t throw my camera in it though, I’m too afraid to damage it in some way, but I do need enough space to carry books (plural!), wallet, brush, a little makeup, etc.
                                kay´s last blog post ..Wordless Wednesday : While in Paris – Walking the Gardens of Versailles (around the Trianon)

• At 2011.06.29 13:24, Virginia said:

Natalie, I heart your orange bag! I’m in bag deficit after over-stuffing my favorite with too many heavy items. The poor old handle just gave way and after the third repair failed I sent it to handbag heaven. My darling little Lumix camera is semi-protected in my current bag, where it stays all the time as it’s so light. I’d feel a better custodian of it if I had a camera case for it … next time I’m filling time at an airport, perhaps.
                                  Virginia´s last blog post ..Number 1 tip for nonfiction storytelling

• At 2011.07.07 11:01, Care said:

Happy Birthday? Happy Belated Birthday? or did I already tell you Good Wishes for this most auspicious occasion? (whatever… celebrate!)

• At 2011.07.09 20:02, Colleen said:

I LOVE bags so the purchase of my DSLR has just been a excuse to get yet another bag! Thanks for pointing me towards Kelly Moore – these are so stylish. Emera also has bags that protect a DSLR camera but could double as a handbag. I purchased a more functional bag for my trip to Thailand by Crumpler which was great for being out all day in the heat but its not particularly stylish.

Happy Birthday!

• At 2011.07.12 11:52, Connie said:

Hey! Hope your b-day was wonderful! I bought a ridiculously expensive leather purse/camera bag designed by a photographer and it is in my closet b/c it is bulky (with everything in it) it is awkward to get stuff out and it is hard to find a place to stow it. Too bad you can’t do a test drive for a few weeks before you buy 🙂 Hope your cute bags work out for you!