Weekend Cooking/Eating: ChikaLicious

Last Saturday, my sister and I skipped off to the city for a gastronomic adventure.  Our first stop was Eataly, the 50,000 square foot Italian food emporium, and we followed that up with a trip downtown to a dessert bar.

A friend of mine, Katie Ett of Donuts 4 Dinner fame, has been trying to get me into the city for months to visit ChikaLicious, a dessert bar that opened in 2003 and is headed up by pastry chef Chika Tillman and her husband and sommelier, Don.  With seating for about 20, my sister and I scored prime seats at the counter–we were literally ringside as Chika and her sous chef worked their magic.

For $14 each, we were treated to an amuse, dessert, and a plate of petit fours. First up was an amuse of coconut panna cotta and mint sorbet.  The mint flavor was so intense, and while I was a bit leery of the the coconut/mint pairing, my worries were for naught.

Next, our desserts were served.  I ordered Fromage Blanc Island ‘Cheese Cake’ and it was served on a bed of ice and did indeed look like an island of cheese cake. The texture was a bit different from typical cheese cake and the fromage blanc was so delish I wanted to drink it with a straw!

My sister ordered the Warm Chocolate Tart with Pink Peppercorn Ice Cream and Red Wine Sauce.  She enjoyed it so much that I never even got a taste!

Our petit fours were served last and featured some distinct flavors–ginger, coconut, and basil.  The ginger shortbread was flaky, the toasted coconut marshmallow squares were airy, and the basil chocolate truffle was intense–my favorite of all the things we sampled.

I also ordered a sparkling cocktail–something I don’t typically do–because the idea of a fruit juice ice cube with a berry suspended inside was too much for me to pass up.

ChikaLicious was a hit and I’d gladly go back again soon. (Katie, I’m talking to you!)

CHIKALCIOUS DESSERT BAR

203 E. 10th (btw 1st & 2nd)

Thur-Sun., 3pm-10:45pm

(The menu indicated they would be closing for a few days sometime at the end of May/beginning of June, so call before you go.  Expect a wait, especially after dinner hours.)

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Candace over at Beth Fish Reads.

• At 2011.05.28 16:04, Barbara said:

Ooh sounds yummy. I’m especially giving the eyeball to that last picture. Such a shame that I can’t just touch the picture and have yummy goodness fall out into my hands. That would be a pretty dangerous thing.
    Barbara´s last blog post ..Me Running

• At 2011.05.28 16:30, Steph said:

This place sounds amazing! I know where I’ll be getting my sugar fix the next time I’m in NYC!

• At 2011.05.28 17:19, Gnoe (@Graasland) said:

Oooooooh, can I come too next time??? Wow!
        Gnoe (@Graasland)´s last blog post ..Rhubarb-Coconut Tarts for Dessert CSA vegetables week 20- 2011

• At 2011.05.28 17:48, Mary (Bookfan) said:

I agree with Steph – amazing!! Thanks for telling us (and showing) about it.

• At 2011.05.28 21:44, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

What beautiful presentation – they almost look too pretty to eat.
            bermudaonion (Kathy)´s last blog post ..Kid Konnection- This Totally Bites!

• At 2011.05.29 00:14, Esme said:

This place looks amazing-I am thinking this is in NYC. I love cheesecake with fromage blanc.

• At 2011.05.29 08:38, TheBookGirl said:

A meal of desserts, now that’s my kind of place!

I am intrigued by the coconut-mint pairing; like you, I wouldn’t think that would work, but apparently it did 🙂
                TheBookGirl´s last blog post ..Weekend Cooking 5- A holiday to honor- eat and read

• At 2011.05.29 12:42, Nan said:

What a fun time!!
                  Nan´s last blog post ..Farm and Garden Report – May 27

• At 2011.05.29 13:03, Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said:

This would definitely be worth a trip to the city for me! Looks fantastic. I have to get to Eataly one of these days.

• At 2011.05.29 16:05, Beth F said:

Another great place to put on my list of places to try in 2012. Sounds like a great adventure. Oh, and I’m all for sparkling cocktail somethings.
                      Beth F´s last blog post ..Weekend Cooking- Bottle Shock

• At 2011.05.29 18:14, Unapologetically Mundane said:

So jealous! And so impressed with your adventurousness! I still need to figure out what’s going on at work and get back to you about the 6th or 7th, if those dates are still open for you, but now that you’ve been to ChikaLicious, we’ll have to try something REALLY crazy. Like Momofuku Milk Bar!
                        Unapologetically Mundane´s last blog post ..I Have a New Camera! And Apparently I’m Now a Nikon Person

• At 2011.05.29 19:55, Colleen said:

This is the first I have heard of Chikalicious – I definitely need to get there! I ate at Eataly for the first time Friday night – the pizza was wonderful!
                          Colleen´s last blog post ..Review- Faith by Jennifer Haigh

• At 2011.05.30 14:01, Alita said:

All those treats look amazingly delicious! What a fun afternoon out.
                            Alita´s last blog post ..13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson final thoughts

• At 2011.05.30 21:53, Jessica said:

Everything looks incredible…can’t imagine how they actually taste! As if there weren’t already enough reasons to visit NYC…
                              Jessica´s last blog post ..Get Out Your TBR List- Big Books at BEA 2011

• At 2011.05.31 09:32, Dishy said:

This looks SO GOOD , Nat!! My only issue? How tiny are those portions?! I’d want like a plate full and then some.
                                Dishy´s last blog post ..Mrs Dash Salt-Free Seasonings

• At 2011.05.31 10:57, Meg said:

Nat, why must I visit your blog at lunchtime?! (Okay, that’s totally a personal problem — but still.) Sounds like an awesome place and you can’t beat such creative desserts!

I’ll cop to being totally boring in my restaurant selections this past weekend in NYC… Spence and I hit mostly diners as we consumed dinner/lunch at odd hours and generally wandered around the city like the overheated, excited tourists that we were. We did pop into a cool Irish pub near the site of the World Trade Center, though — a happy accident! (And I only got chicken fingers and a Diet Coke, but still. We were there.)
                                  Meg´s last blog post ..Book Blogger Convention- year two

• At 2011.05.31 11:48, Heather said:

i’ve only heard of a dessert cafe on a tv show. wow, great concept. Must tell my sister about your post. Thanks.
                                    Heather´s last blog post ..Needlework Tuesday – The Challenge Deepens

• At 2011.05.31 23:59, Nancy said:

Sounds very fun and interesting taste sensations. I have been to a death by chocolate that was all you could eat chocolate deserts, fun but sometimes too much chocolate isn’t a good thing lol

• At 2011.06.02 18:40, toothybooks said:

i think i just heard my stomach growl from looking at all those pictures. if i’m ever in ny, i’m definitely hitting up that spot. their dessert looks amazing!!
                                      toothybooks´s last blog post ..Review- The Help

• At 2011.06.05 23:16, Jess - A Book Hoarder said:

Oh my goodness I am so jealous! I am a dessert freak. I have lost count of how many things I own that say “Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.” I am a true believer in the healing powers of a delicious dessert and I have now added to my life goals to visit ChikaLicious!
                                        Jess – A Book Hoarder´s last blog post ..Some Things That Make Me Happy!!