Greetings and Salutations: Armchair BEA

Yep, that’s me!  I’ve been blogging in some capacity since 2007, focusing on books since 2009.  By day I work in a private high school and at night I’m a blogger, reader, and grand champion Skee-ball player.  My husband and I have been together since our salad days in college–1992–and enjoy taking road trips, eating out, and generally getting into harmless mischief wherever we go.

yours truly, as rendered by my sister-in-law

Like you guys, I’m a big fan of books and prefer YA, non-fiction (usually memoirs or travel essays), and contemporary fiction.  I read the classics with my students at school during the year, so I tend to favor lighter fare in my free time–that means no Russian lit challenges for me!

I’m participating in Armchair BEA because, for the second year running, our overnight school trip coincides with the expo.  Instead of rubbing shoulders with my favorite bloggers, publishers, and authors, I’ll be attempting to stay out of the line of fire as my students engage in outdoor team building exercises.  (Exactly how paintball fits this description is beyond me.)

But enough about me!  Tell me a bit about you.  Are you a first-time visitor to Book, Line, and Sinker or an old friend?  Where are you from and what’s one of your favorite AND least favorite books of all time?

• At 2011.05.23 08:26, Chrisbookarama said:

So glad you signed up! I love that drawing of you. I’m an old friendly visitor of your blog. *waves* My fave book is Jane Eyre and my least favorite is probably The Wings of the Dove by Henry James because he’s an evil run-on sentence maker.
    Chrisbookarama´s last blog post ..Welcome to my Chair!

• At 2011.05.23 08:43, booksNyarn said:

This is my first time at your blog and at Armchair BEA! I love that rendering too – and a Skee-ball champion? Excellent!

I’d have to say my favorite book of all-time is Pearl S. Buck’s The Good Earth. I love her stories. I cannot even think of my least favorite though…
      booksNyarn´s last blog post ..Armchair BEA- Who Am I

• At 2011.05.23 09:06, Mary (Bookfan) said:

Fun drawing 🙂 I have too many favorites to name one but least favorite (made me throw the book against the wall when I read it to the last page even though I wanted to quit 10% in): Oh Play That Thing by Roddy Doyle. I’d loved every book of his to that point but this one just disappointed me for so many reasons.
        Whew, hadn’t thought about that book in years, lol.

• At 2011.05.24 01:09, Michelle @ The True Book Addict said:

LONG time follower here! Glad you’re joining in this week. I’ll be stopping by again!
          Michelle @ The True Book Addict´s last blog post ..MAILBOX MONDAY

• At 2011.05.24 01:12, Amy @ My Friend Amy said:

Such a cute post! I’m so glad you’re participating in Armchair BEA with us!
            Amy @ My Friend Amy´s last blog post ..Fun Book Stuff

• At 2011.05.24 21:48, Erin said:

Why hello 🙂 A favorite and least favorite book, huh? From the past year, I really loved The Bee-Loud Glade by Steve Himmer and I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. I really disliked A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick and Rose in a Storm by Jon Katz. Happy Armchair BEA!
              Erin´s last blog post ..Armchair BEA- My 2011 Favorite and Giveaway

• At 2011.05.25 08:33, Dishy said:

Long-time blogging bud in the house! I’m from PHILLY (as you know) but now I am ‘from away’ – I mean, a Maine-uh. My favorite book is probably Le Grand Meaulnes – I can’t really name a least favorite, but I’d have to say I am PRETTY DARN PICKY. Hope you are having fun!
                Dishy´s last blog post ..Homemade Chocolate Shell Topping for Ice Cream

• At 2011.05.27 20:23, Natalie said:

you are one of my oldest blogging friends and i can’t imagine my life (and recipe box) without you. xo

• At 2011.05.25 20:52, Jenners said:

I am in LOVE with the little drawing of you!! Adorable!!!!! And paintball sounds like so much fun!
                  Jenners´s last blog post ..Blogger Caught Under Dome Missing In Action Since Thursday

• At 2011.05.27 20:20, Natalie said:

paintball was SO much fun! i had the ref sneak me into the field before the little savages arrived and he secreted me into a great hideout. i was a SUPER SNIPER and took out scores of the darlings. the only problem was i couldn’t play with my glasses on so i accidentally hit a few kids in the FACE. (they were wearing masks, relax.) hahahah. the ref told me if i ever leave education i might have a future as a sharp shooter.

• At 2011.05.29 00:16, Esme said:

Too funny.

• At 2011.05.25 20:58, Renee said:

Love the drawing!!

I suppose I could say old friend, though I’ve been terribly sporadic about reading blogs or posting anything on my own. I always like the reviews here too – honest without tearing anyone down. It’s nice to read well thought out criticism and praise.

I’ve just finished the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. MArtin and they were SO. GOOD. I just hope the rest of the series comes out a little faster (if possible, good writing takes time…). So they are my current favourite book. Moby Dick was my least favourite to read, but it has been an excellent doorstop and flattener of things that need flattening. 😀

• At 2011.05.27 20:17, Natalie said:

of course you’re an old friend…and i know all about sporadic blogging. ha. moby dick is a nightmare, isn’t it? never thought of using it for anything but a weapon (if a robber comes into my room, i’ll simply read him a page or two and either confuse him or put him to sleep. if that fails, i’ll throw it at him.)

• At 2011.05.31 12:33, Care said:

LOVE your lil pic! SO CUTE.
                      Care´s last blog post ..tHoL Part 1

• At 2011.05.31 12:35, Care said:

oops, didn’t read the instructions… (typical huh?!)
                        I am not a first time visitor. I am from the Midwest but now live SouthCoast Massachusetts. My latest favorite book is The History of Love and my least favorite? Can I say that I have attempted and abandoned Anna Karenina? oh no wait! Pillars of the Earth. Yes, let’s go with that horrible thing.
                        Care´s last blog post ..tHoL Part 1

• At 2011.05.31 21:09, Natalie said:

my cousin recommended pillars to me a while back and i did buy it but haven’t started it. now you’ve got me scared…lol. i love how one person can LOVE a book and another can be so passionate about how bad it is. that’s the book world for ya! 🙂
                          ps. it’s great to see those slices of pie festooning my comments again!