The Importance of Being Earnest

The only reason I came home from Florida last week (instead of stretching my trip out for a few more days) was because a friend and I had tickets to see Brian Bedford perform in Oscar Wilde’s The Importance of Being Earnest on Broadway.

I’ve been teaching this play to my 12th grade students for over ten years and never tire of Wilde’s wit and satire but had never seen the play performed.  Around Christmastime, two of my seniors brought the show to my attention–they came running to tell me how they were in the city and saw (and took photos of) the marquee–and from there, a fellow English teacher and I made plans to attend.

We had great seats for last Saturday’s matinee show and were surprised that the theater wasn’t more crowded.  The theater, which has been around since 1918, was beautifully refurbished in 2000 and has a wonderful ambiance.  The entire cast was wonderful, and Bedford was hilarious as Lady Bracknell.

As BEA and the Book Blogger Convention draw near, many fellow bloggers and book lovers will be in the city and might have an extra day before or after the expo to take in a show.  I would heartily recommend The Importance of Being Earnest and tickets can most likely be procured at a discount through the TKTS booth in Times Square (Broadway and 47th).

Have you taken in many Broadway shows?  Which ones stand out in your mind?

• At 2011.05.02 21:32, Mary (Bookfan) said:

This will really date me but I saw Jesus Christ Superstar and Fiddler On The Roof on Broadway back in the 70s. Both were amazing productions. I saw ‘Earnest’ while in college – the drama dept. presented it and did a great job.
    Mary (Bookfan)´s last blog post ..Mailbox Monday –

• At 2011.05.02 21:34, Julie @ Read Handed said:

Love this play! So funny!

• At 2011.05.03 13:31, SpilledInkGuy said:

Sounds like fun!
        And I have that hat (the purple one).
        🙂
        SpilledInkGuy´s last blog post ..Weekly Photo Challenge- One

• At 2011.05.03 14:43, Renee said:

Oh, I envy you!! I would LOVE to see this production!

I’ve only seen two of the actors in a YouTube “production” of Jersey Shore done in the style of Oscar Wilde – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW9_SM5i2M4 (totally hilarious).

I saw an off Broadway production of La Boheme directed by Baz Luhrman and that was really, really good. Otherwise I’ve been to the Stratford Festival more than any other place to watch productions and I recommend catching a show there if you can. 😀
          Renee´s last blog post ..Sick Day

• At 2011.05.03 16:33, Dishy said:

I love seeing live theater and this looks like a show I’d really enjoy. Brit lit + costume = 😀
            Dishy´s last blog post ..The Daily Dish has… WON !!!!!!

• At 2011.05.04 23:10, Belle Wong said:

I’m very fond of Wilde. I also love plays! I saw The Importance of Being Earnest at the Stratford festival one year here in Ontario, and loved it.

• At 2011.05.05 07:14, Beth F said:

I haven’t seen TIBE in New York, but I’ve seen the production a couple of times over the years. It’s one of my favorites. It’s also an easy play to read.
                Beth F´s last blog post ..Thursday Tea- While I Live by John Marsden Review

• At 2011.05.06 17:01, Amy said:

I’ve been considering seeing this production. I love this play and am thrilled to know this is a production worth attending. Glad you enjoyed it!