Opening Day 2011

While my husband is a Mets fan, I’m a pinstripes girl through and through.  I love listening to Yankees games on the radio, have gone to a few spring training games in Tampa, and get to regular season games in the Bronx.  Sadly, I won’t be in the stands Thursday as The New York Yankees take on the Detroit Tigers in their 2011 home opener.

photo cred: NAM, 2010

As consolation, I started reading Ian O’Connor’s The Captain: The Journey of Derek Jeter (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, May 16, 2011). Based on the information in O’Connor’s book thus far and dearth of bad press, Derek Jeter seems to be a driven and focused athlete.  He’s a role model who gives back to the community through his Jeter’s Leaders program.  Oh, and let me not forget his sparkling blue eyes and disarming grin!

The Captain: The Journey of Derek Jeter by Ian O'Connor

I love going to games so much that I even agreed to chaperone an after-hours school trip to a Yankees game.  Our private high school makes outings like this easy, and I was delighted to join a group on a sunny Sunday in the Bronx.  Some of the kiddos had never been to a baseball game and were really excited.

First-timers decked out in their finest! photo cred: NAM, 2010

We had a great time and even made it on to the Jumbotron screen, a feat trumped only by the fact that I was quick enough to snap a photo of our 2 seconds of fame at Yankees Stadium.

photo cred. NAM, 2010

My students and I had a great time at the game despite the fact that Jeter was sidelined with a head cold.  We ate peanuts and Crackerjacks, sang songs, and danced along with the ground crew toYMCA. Does it get anymore American than that?

Yankees Stadium, Bronx, NY photo cred. NAM, 2010

My review of The Captain by Ian O’Connor will be online in May but until then, tell me:  Do you cheer for any specific sports teams?

Let’s go Yankees!

• At 2011.03.30 21:50, Mary (Bookfan) said:

I LOVE baseball 🙂 I’m in Milwaukee so my boys are the Brewers. We used to have season tickets but our ticket $$ started going to colleges and wedding funds, lol. The silver lining: we can watch all the games on tv and/or listen to Bob Uecker call the game on the radio. It feels almost like Christmas Eve today 😀
    Mary (Bookfan)´s last blog post ..Mailbox Monday – March 28

• At 2011.03.31 05:59, vivienne said:

I love how all Americans are so into their sports. I suppose over here we are the same with football, only not so many women show an interest. In America, it just sounds like a national institution and I am quite envious!
      vivienne´s last blog post ..Life As We Know It! My Best Friend Weight Watchers

• At 2011.03.31 08:57, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

I don’t really keep up with Major League Baseball, but I will be rooting for the Phillies this year in memory of my Dad. He was a Phillies fan for over 60 years.

• At 2011.03.31 15:56, Dishy said:

I’m with Kathy — PHILLIES ALL THE WAY BABYYYYY!!!

And let’s not forget the EAGLES, FLYERS, 76s AND PHILLY ROLLER GIRLS!

PS: Portland Sea Dogs, the Red Claws,Portland Pirates and Maine Roller Derby. All excellent too.

Jeter lover.
          Dishy´s last blog post ..Chocolate Stout Cake

• At 2011.03.31 15:46, livelaughloveliquor said:

We are rangers (hockey) fans Nat, but I never realized how beautiful the new Yankee stadium is! And CHEERS on your 2 seconds of fame – how cool!
          livelaughloveliquor´s last blog post ..Arrested Development

• At 2011.03.31 19:55, Jenners said:

Not really much of a sports fan but if I was I would cheer for the Philly teams.
            Jenners´s last blog post ..Review- The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde

• At 2011.03.31 22:14, softdrink said:

Unfortunately, I’m not much into baseball. But for football, I love the Packers (I even have a cheesehead) and for basketball, I hate the Lakers. We will always cheer for whoever is playing against the Lakers. That might change if and when Kobe ever retires, but as long as he’s playing, I’m booing.

• At 2011.03.31 23:12, Jess - A Book Hoarder said:

I grew up with the Giants and you know what kind of happiness that brings now!!! My brother was given 4 pre-season tickets from a coworker and I couldn’t go because I had to work *tear* and I’m still to new to call in for a fake sick day. Oh well, there will be more to come.

Also…I LOVE the Jumbotron pic!
                Jess – A Book Hoarder´s last blog post ..Mailbox Monday

• At 2011.04.01 20:20, Gwen said:

And they won yesterday!

I am both a Mets fan and a Yankees fan. (watching the Mets/Marlins right now) I would probably be attacked for not picking sides if I lived in New York, but here in Cali, it just makes me look like a traitor. I can live with that.
                  Gwen´s last blog post ..Dreadfully Ever After by Steve Hockensmith

• At 2011.04.04 16:07, Kathleen said:

I’ve been a San Francisco Bay Area resident my entire life so I root for the SF Giants. Last year was a very exciting year for all of us die hard fans who had been waiting forever for the guys to finally win something!
                    Kathleen´s last blog post ..Review- Separate Kingdoms by Valerie Laken

• At 2011.04.07 20:26, toothybooks said:

How fun!! I’ve been to plenty of sport events and have never managed to make it onto the big screen. You probably already know I’m a huge Texans fan even though they’re terrible and there might not be an upcoming NFL season due to a lock out. (which makes me want to cry). I love the Houston Rockets too, although their current season is on life support right now… they need to win the three remaining basketball games and hope the Memphis Grizzles lose their three remaining basketball games. If I had to choose a baseball team though, then I guess it would be the Houston Astros, who are currently at 0-5. I have no idea what’s in our water, but it’s definitely not steroids. Houston sports team are just plan terrible, but I love them anyways and I root my little heart out for them.