Wordless Wednesdays: Beachy Edition

Ant and I spent last Saturday at the boardwalk in our town.  Generally, we avoid the beach and boards in the summer because it’s too crowded, but there’s something about the beach in the winter that draws me.  We had some treats, some fun, and I even managed to snag a prize in the giant crane game.

Not to be confused with 'Jersey Shore'
Where are all the kids?
If Skee Ball was a high school sport, I'd have a varsity jacket.

Want to take a dip?
$5 for three plays. If you snag a silver briefcase, you're a winner.
I snagged a briefcase on my first shot! The Jenks employee presented me with my prize. Not sure how he'd feel about being on my blog, so I protected his anonymity with a festive Mardi Gras mask.
While it wasn't the I-pad or other big-name prize I was fervently hoping for, who could sniff at an MP4 player for $2.00?

• At 2011.03.09 11:15, A Southern Cousin said:

Ahhhh, the sights of home. . . I am with you on the skee ball thing. I rocked it 🙂

• At 2011.03.09 13:07, Natalie said:

Come back home and visit and I promise to take you guys back to the boards! Miss you mucho. xoxxo

• At 2011.03.09 12:09, Ti said:

What treatment did you add to those photos? They look very retro and vintaged out. Love ’em!

I can’t believe you won something!! I am so horrible at those games. I love the Mardi Gras mask.

What treats did you have?? Boardwalk treats are the best.
      Ti´s last blog post ..The Sunday Salon- Poof! Gone!

• At 2011.03.09 13:09, Natalie said:

In the second photo I used an effect found on Picnik.com. All the other photos are straight from my camera–just resized or cropped.

• At 2011.03.09 12:22, vivienne said:

Your boardwalks are like our piers! I will have to take pictures of Brighton Pier to show you!
        vivienne´s last blog post ..The Restorer by Amanda Stevens

• At 2011.03.09 13:06, Natalie said:

Please do post some photos! I’ve never seen a pier but have read about them so many times. Bill Bryson describes them in one of his books, and I had something totally different in my mind.

• At 2011.03.09 12:25, Meg said:

Ooh, looks like so much fun! And congrats on your big win — that’s awesome! I’m not very lucky with most games, though I did tear up on a crane game years ago. With my 5-year-old cousin cheering me on, I got about five stuffed animals out of a machine before losing my lucky streak. She was screaming and shouting in the middle of the restaurant. We still laugh about that! For one shining moment, I was queen of the world. Or, you know . . . the crane machines.
          Meg´s last blog post ..My life in glasses — or lack thereof

• At 2011.03.09 13:05, Natalie said:

Ant and I were totally shocked when the crane claw actually picked up the case. We didn’t dare to even breathe until it dropped into the chute. I’ve never really had much luck with the cranes–my sister is like you, she’s always a big winner with the stuffed animals. We played this game on a whim and were really surprised with a win.

• At 2011.03.09 15:56, Dishy said:

OOOh you ROCKED IT Nat! Great job! The ladies will be UBER impressed.

We don’t have a boardwalk here per se, but Old Orchard Beach (the French Canadian Riviera) is 20 minutes south and the closest thing we have to Wildwood. Tacky, but fun. And in the summer, WAY CROWDED.
            Dishy´s last blog post ..Tangy Carrot-Apple Salad with Cider Vinaigrette

• At 2011.03.10 07:07, Natalie said:

Do you know I didn’t know that Wildwood even had a boardwalk until I was a freshman in high school? My parents didn’t like that scene (big amusement parks, rowdy boardwalks) so Jess and I never went. As kids, my parents always took us to Point Pleasant or Fantasy Island on Long Beach Island. (We went to LBI every summer from the early 80s until I was in college.) I’ll be waiting to visit Old Orchard Beach when I come visit. xoxo

• At 2011.03.10 11:15, Dishy said:

Can’t say I blame your folks! We never went to Wildwood either (too WILD – lol)

My family NEVER went down the shore. EVER! But some of my best friends had homes in Ocean City, so I’d go with them whenever possible. I love Ocean City! So clean and family friendly. Of course, if it’s just John & me — we love AC best. Well, just The Borgata. Ahahhah
                Dishy´s last blog post ..Tangy Carrot-Apple Salad with Cider Vinaigrette

• At 2011.03.09 21:28, Jenners said:

I can’t freaking believe you snagged a suitcase!!???!!! I thought those things were rigged. OF course, I thought there would be something better in it too! (I’m sure it is off-brand, right?)

And I do enjoy the shore … especially when it isn’t so crowded.
              Jenners´s last blog post ..Review- The Great Fitness Experiment by Charlotte Hilton Andersen

• At 2011.03.10 07:05, Natalie said:

Well, I chatted up the Jenks guy and he admitted that there are 27 suitcases in the crane game at any given time and only every THIRD one has a good prize (I-pad, giant flat screen tv, x-box, etc). I may have lucked out getting a suitcase, but my prize was a bit of a bust. Ant and I already have I-pods so I’m giving the player to my nephew.

• At 2011.03.13 07:21, Beth F said:

What fun!!!! Love the shore off season.

• At 2011.03.14 01:47, Jess - A Book Hoarder said:

I can’t believe you won! That is awesome!! I love the pictures, it is crazy to see a place like that so empty.
                  Jess – A Book Hoarder´s last blog post ..Ill Be Watching This Book

• At 2011.03.14 13:30, Stephanie said:

I know that boardwalk (and yes, we are generally one of the masses as the kids LOVE the rides in the summertime)!
                    Stephanie´s last blog post ..The Peach Keeper

• At 2011.03.14 13:30, Stephanie said:

Also love to eat at Bobby’s Burger Palace after a long day on the boardwalk – YUMMY!!
                      Stephanie´s last blog post ..The Peach Keeper