(Books) Coming to a Theater Near You!

While most book-to-movie interpretations fall flat for me, there are several feature films slated for 2011 and 2012 that have caught my interest.  Some of them have been talked up around the blogs and on the internet, while I didn’t even know others had movies in the works.

Mark your calendars, readers!  Here’s just a sampling of the books that will come to the big screen over the next 18 months:

2011

March 2011: Jane Eyre

April 2011: Water for Elephants

June 2011: One for the Money (A Stephanie Plum Adventure)

July 2011: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II

August 2011: The Help

November 2011: Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part I

December 2011: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

2012

March 2012: The Hunger Games

November 2012: Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part II

December 2012: Life of Pi and The Hobbitt

So, how about it?  Do you see any titles that you’d like to see?  I’m going to check out The Hunger Games, The Help, One for the Money, and the Harry Potters.

• At 2011.03.03 06:10, vivienne said:

Water For Elephants, Breaking Dawn and The Hunger Games are my must see movies for this year. The Hunger Games especially!

PS I am all set up on NetGalley now and it is all thanks to you and your terrific post the other day!
    vivienne´s last blog post ..LIfe As We Know It! Move Over Nigella!

• At 2011.03.04 12:37, Natalie said:

so happy to hear you joined up with netGalley! blogging is like teaching to me–i love to share things that i learn from others. as for the movies, i’ll be there with bells on at ‘the hunger games’!! have a great weekend.

• At 2011.03.03 08:20, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

I go to the movies with a friend fairly often. We’re both readers so I’m sure we’ll see some of these. We’re looking forward to Water for Elephants. Another movie that’s from a book we plan to see is The Lincoln Lawyer.

• At 2011.03.03 11:30, Jody said:

Meh I’ll be the first to admit that I’m heading to the Twilight ones as well as Harry Potter. I may have to read the other ones first as I’ve made it a rule in our homeschooling house that there will be no watching made-from-book movies until the book is read first. Gotta follow it!
        Jody´s last blog post ..Una manzana empanada

• At 2011.03.04 12:38, Natalie said:

jody,
          we won’t hold twilight against you. i’m pretty sure my sister will drag me along with her to see the wolf boy. personally, i’m partial to mr. sparkle (aka edward). 🙂 and i’m with you–no watching until we read!

• At 2011.03.03 11:55, Jane Steen said:

Jane Eyre, of course – I reread the book in the summer. And I was named after it, so doomed from birth to love 19th century fiction.

And I will be there for the local midnight premier of HP 8, at which I will once again be one of the very few over-25s present. My 17yo daughter will still be subject to curfew, which means I’ll have to drive her there and probably a friend or two.

I will be forced to go see the Twilight movies with my 19yo daughter, who does not drive. I spent the whole of the last movie obsessing over Edward’s makeup and Jacob’s nose.

The Help, The Hobbit and The Hunger Games are good candidates for reserving through our excellent local library.

I suppose this means I actually need to read The Help first.
          Jane Steen´s last blog post ..Book Covers- An Inexpert Writes

• At 2011.03.03 16:06, Liz (Roving Reader) said:

I CANNOT wait for Jane Eyre… I really love the casting of Michael Fassbender as Mr. Rochester! Water for Elephants was a great book and I hope the film adaption does it justice.
            Liz (Roving Reader)´s last blog post ..Top Ten Tuesday- Favorite Love Stories

• At 2011.03.03 16:53, Kathleen said:

So many good ones are coming out. I need to get some of these read quickly so I can go and see the movie!
              Kathleen´s last blog post ..Commentary- Devotion by Dani Shapiro

• At 2011.03.03 16:57, Coffee and a Book Chick said:

I can’t even pick the one out of all of these that I’m the most excited about – they are all ones that I’m giggling with glee that they’ll be made into film! The Hunger Games – yay! The Girl With the Drago Tattoo – yay! (But it better be as good as the Swedish version!) Jane Eyre – yay! Water for Elephants – yay! (But Reese Witherspoon as Marlena? Hmmm) 🙂
                Coffee and a Book Chick´s last blog post ..Caribou Island- by David Vann

• At 2011.03.03 19:57, livelaughloveliquor said:

looking forward to Jane eyrie, and if the American movie of girl w/ a dragon tat is 1/2 as good as the swedish one, i’m there!!
                  livelaughloveliquor´s last blog post ..Victoria- it’s No Secret

• At 2011.03.03 20:33, Dishy said:

HARRY POTTER HARRY POTTER HARRY POTTER!!!!!!!!!

sorry, just a bit excited.

Thanks for the heads-up Nat. We’ve watched several adaptations recently: Persuasion (watched that after I read Meg’s short story – CONGRATS!!! BTW to Meg), A Room with a View, The Road. Technically John watched The Road solo (after I looked up the first time to find people chained in a basement, I went upstairs)
                    Dishy´s last blog post ..French Onion Soup

• At 2011.03.03 20:53, Jenners said:

Embarassingly enough, I’m really excited about the Twlight movies. (And the Water For Elephants movie .. for the same reason I’m excited about the Twilight movies. You figure it out! HAHA!)

I think The Help will make a really good movie. And I’m very very curious how they will handle The Hunger Games!
                      Jenners´s last blog post ..This Post Brought To You by Warpcore SF

• At 2011.03.04 12:40, Natalie said:

hmmm…i am trying to figure out why you might be so inclined to go to twilight and h2o for elephants…could it be a certain BARELY LEGAL english boy?!?!! lol. okay, i’ll fess up: i did rip out his vanity fair photo shoot (in the hamptons) and have some pictures hiding in my desk drawer. mwa hahahah.

• At 2011.03.03 23:15, rhapsodyinbooks said:

I’m looking forward to all of them EXCEPT for the Twilight movies, the Elephants movie, and Harry Potter. I guess Jenners and I won’t be going to the theater together…
                        rhapsodyinbooks´s last blog post ..Review of “The Devil’s Star” by Jo Nesbo

• At 2011.03.04 12:41, Natalie said:

what? no sparkly vampires for you? such a kill joy, my friend! ha!

• At 2011.03.05 16:19, Christy said:

I am definitely going to the theaters for the new Jane Eyre movie. I’ve seen several bad adaptations and one good TV miniseries adaptation (with Toby Stephens and Ruth Wilson). The trailers for this version look good.

I’ll also go see the Hunger Games movie in theaters if the reviews are generally good. If I catch wind that it’s been botched up though, I’ll wait to rent it.

No thank you to Water for Elephants. I found the book mediocre. Only plus to the movie would be if they did a good job evoking circus life in that time period – the setting was the only thing I kind of liked about the book.
                          Christy´s last blog post ..Book Blogger Hop- March 5th

• At 2011.03.05 22:19, Colleen said:

Mostly I see books I need to read before they are in the theatres! The ones that interest me the most are The Help, Water for Elephants and Life of Pi (that one I have read!)
                            Colleen´s last blog post ..Guest Post- Author of When We Were Strangers – Pamela Schoenewaldt

• At 2011.03.06 21:31, Alita said:

I am so very excited for the new Jane Eyre movie! I’m hoping to see it on opening weekend. My feelings towards the new Harry Potter are more bittersweet – I can’t wait to see the final chapters on screen but sad that the series is coming to an end.
                              Alita´s last blog post ..Monday Round Up 030711

• At 2011.03.07 02:50, Jess - A Book Hoarder said:

1: I can not WAIT to see Water for Elephants!

2: Why would you torture me with Hunger Games when it is a year away? Why you you do that Nat?!?!

3: Thinking about the last Harry Potter just makes me want to cry….and see it….and cry…