Love is in the Air!

This year marks 19 years with Anthony as my Valentine but life wasn’t always so idyllic.  In 1991, my best friend and I made a pact to wear all black to school on Valentine’s Day, then went to see the quintessential romance flick The Silence of the Lambs at the local movie theater, followed by a visit to the diner to drown our sorrows in a plate heaped with cheese fries.

What I’m trying to say is that I’ve been on both sides of the Valentine’s Day fence and whether you’re celebrating or not, I’ve got some links to make your Monday a bit brighter (or darker).

FOOD AND DESSERTS

Why don’t you whip up some cheesecake pops or a Red Velvet cake for your sweetie?  Bakerella has those and scads of other adorable dessert ideas for you!

Mini Cherry Cutie Pies photo cred to Bakerella

The Smitten Kitchen is offering up a recipe for white and dark hearted brownies that look scrumptious!

White and Dark Hearted Brownies photo cred The Smitten Kitchen

If you’re in New York City, skip on down to Jacques Torres Chocolates–my fave!–and pick up some artisan chocolates.  I bought my mother and sister their own boxes for Mother’s Day last year and they were quite the hit!

An assortment from Jacques Torres Chocolates

Trying to steer clear of goodies?  Try this protein rich heart-shaped hard boiled egg by Anna The Red’s Bento Factory–it’s too cute for words!

Photo cred Anna The Red's Bento Factory

Don’t feel like cooking and the idea of going to a restaurant on Valentine’s Day strikes fear into your heart?  Why don’t you just order out for a heart-shaped pizza from Papa John’s?

Photo cred Papa John's Pizza

CRAFTS

Martha Stewart is my go-to girl for crafts and clever things and this quick and easy Heart Bookmark would be perfect for your favorite bookworm!

Heart Bookmark photo cred MarthaStewart.com

Martha also provides a quick way to get that lovin’ feeling!  All you need is a button-down shirt, some red and pink felt, and a pair of scissors to make these whimsical button decorations.

Photo cred MarthaStewart.com

A sweet and festive decoration using pages from old books, Dottie Angel’s craft is easy and can be displayed year-round.

Photo cred Dottie Angel

BOOKS, MUSIC, MOVIES

Looking for a romantic read?  Goodreads has an entire list devoted to The Best Romance Novels of the Twentieth Century.

Getting over a bad breakup?  How about The Top 100 Breakup Songs of All Time as compiled by Em and Lo.  At the top of the (alphabetical) list? 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover by Simon and Garfunkel.

The Fifty Greatest and Ten Worst Romance movies as voted by users on IMDb.  With WALL*E coming in at number 10, I’m not sure how much stock to put into this list…

FUN STUFF

How compatible are you and your mate based solely on your names?  This very scientific Love Calculator will let you know!  Ant and I come in at 75% compatible, in case you were wondering.

Be Mine! Cutie Pie! Hug Me!  Sweetheart Candies have been around for over a century but how much do you really know about them?

Do other nations celebrate Valentine’s Day?  Wiki tells all!

Wishing all of my friends and visitors a Happy Valentine’s Day!  Do you have any special plans or are you keeping it low key?

XOXO

• At 2011.02.12 22:43, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

What a fun post! We plan to go out with friends tomorrow night to celebrate Valentine’s Day. I don’t want to face the crowds on Monday. By the way, our nephew always calls Valentine’s Day “Singles Awareness Day.”

• At 2011.02.12 22:48, Natalie said:

Lol, your nephew has quite the sense of humor! Ant and I always do a low key Valentine’s Day because we don’t like the crowds. We spent today in Philadelphia and had a nice meal and enjoyable day. Monday will probably be a meal we cook together and a movie. 🙂

• At 2011.02.12 23:36, Jenners said:

What a fun post! I love the brownies … and the chocolates of course.
      Jenners´s last blog post ..List- My Top 10 iPhone Apps

• […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Xe Sands, nat @booklineNsinker. nat @booklineNsinker said: Love is in the air, and Valentine's Day is around the corner! Stop by for some crafts and sweets links! http://tinyurl.com/47dkzbf […]

• At 2011.02.13 10:25, Literate Housewife said:

Love, love, love this post! Those. Heart shaped bookmarks are so adorable!
          Literate Housewife´s last blog post ..This Pixel Chick &amp The Sundae Spectacular

• At 2011.02.13 10:28, Chrisbookarama said:

I love the book hearts! I must try that.
            Chrisbookarama´s last blog post ..Lazy Sunday Thoughts- Shiny Happy People

• At 2011.02.13 11:59, Dishy said:

Super ideas, Nat and such gorgeous pix. PS: for those short on funds, check out my list of Creative, thoughtful & CHEAP ideas for Valentine’s Day!
              Dishy´s last blog post ..Fore River Sanctuary Samosas with Mango Dipping Sauce

• At 2011.02.13 15:48, livelaughloveliquor said:

Love those heart shaped eggs. So sweet!

No big plans here. We celebrated Saturday by going to downtown Princeton, lunch and shopping. Just a few hours away from the kids is such a gift! It was nice to eat food with out someone sticking their dirty, chubby fingers in it!

Hope you have a wonderful Valentines!

xoxoxo
                livelaughloveliquor´s last blog post ..Shave and a Hair Cut- 2 Bits…

• At 2011.02.13 16:20, The Brain Lair said:

I love this post! I especially want to try the book pages as hearts! We have some books at school we weeded and I can do this in my office. Thanks!
                  The Brain Lair´s last blog post ..The Sunday Salon – Guest Post – Deborah Reber

• At 2011.02.13 16:56, rhapsodyinbooks said:

Very wonderfully creative post, as usual! :–) Must make heart brownies! Well, probably will end up with triangles or squares. Must FIND heart brownies!
                    rhapsodyinbooks´s last blog post ..Sunday Salon – Interview with Award-Winning Author Jacqueline Woodson

• At 2011.02.13 21:43, Jess - A Book Hoarder said:

I am totally anti-Valentine’s Day. I fall into the “stupid Hallmark holiday” camp and every year my husband gets all worried asking if I’m “just saying it but it’s really woman’s speak for you want to be surprised with roses.” His words, not mine. But I truly just want to pretend it doesn’t exist.

BUT I had to comment on how cute the egg is, as well as the heart book pages (although it makes me a bit squeamish to think about cutting up the books for it).

• At 2011.02.14 02:04, g said:

happy heart day natty! xxooxx

• At 2011.02.14 08:59, Dishy said:

I second G – Happy Valentine’s Day, Nat!! Hope you have a fun day!
                          Dishy´s last blog post ..Fore River Sanctuary Samosas with Mango Dipping Sauce

• At 2011.02.14 11:45, Care said:

Celebrate all the love! romantic and otherwise. Happy Valentine’s Day! (and Wall E *IS* a great love story)
                            Care´s last blog post ..Keys- Joyce and Guinness

• At 2011.02.14 13:47, Alita said:

Those mini cherry pies are way too cute. Hubby’s in class tonight, so I’m going for cheesecake and jazz tunes with a friend. Should be lovely 🙂

Have a wonderful Valentine’s Day with your sweetheart!
                              Alita´s last blog post ..Monday Round Up 021411

• At 2011.02.14 14:46, Meg said:

Super cute post! I’m stricken with a terrible cold today (ack), but am hoping I’ll still get to see my sweetie for a little bit tonight — and I have a few Valentine cupcakes left from the weekend!
                                Meg´s last blog post ..Those you hold safe in your heart

• At 2011.02.15 00:02, Bookfool, aka Nancy said:

Happy Valentine’s Day! Those little cherry pies are so cute and they seem to be causing a bit of a craving. Hmm.

My hubby and I are only 45% compatible, according to the love calculator. Amazingly, we’ve survived almost 28 years together, in spite of our awkwardly incompatible names (and possibly some other incompatibilities — I guess we put up with each other well enough). 🙂
                                  Bookfool, aka Nancy´s last blog post ..My Valentines Card to You

• At 2011.02.15 01:32, Kathleen said:

I love the heart-shaped pizza! I should have brought that home for my sweetie tonight instead of the Japanese food!
                                    Kathleen´s last blog post ..A Look Ahead

• At 2011.02.15 09:51, Beth F said:

I need to know how to make heart eggs!!! What a great post.
                                      Beth F´s last blog post ..Todays Read- Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich

• At 2011.02.15 13:37, Ti said:

I love that you and your friend hit Silence of the Lambs on V day. Classic rebellion if I ever saw it.

I had a touch of food poisoning on Valentine’s Day so we didn’t do a darn thing and I am still not able to keep food down too well. Plus, I got distracted with our new little friend.
                                        Ti´s last blog post ..Introducing…Chloe!

• At 2011.02.16 16:56, kay @ Infiniteshelf said:

What yummy pictures! I love, love, love the heart-shaped egg!
                                          And congrats on 19 years! That’s amazing 🙂 We had our 8th one this year… time goes by so fast!
                                          kay @ Infiniteshelf´s last blog post ..Comic – Reading everywhere

• At 2011.02.16 20:40, Natalie said:

Thanks! The egg is too cute, isn’t it? I don’t even like hard boiled eggs but might have to make these for the cute factor! 19 years went by in a flash–I met him as an 18-year-old freshman in college and it was my lucky day!