Have a Magical Day!

2010 was a trying year for my family, and my parents wanted to kick off 2011 with something wonderful.  We didn’t make any resolutions this year, save one:

Hope. My family has it.

My parents are taking my sister, nephew, and me (hubby has to work!) to Disney next week as a very special celebration of life.   We plan to do lots of dorky family things, like donning mouse ears, having breakfast with Pluto and Mickey, and the embracing the requisite voyage through it’s a small world.

In preparation for this trip, I’ve been boning up on what’s newish in Disney by reading Julie and Mike Neal’s The Complete Walt Disney World 2010, a digital copy of which I scored on netGalley.  We’ve been to Disney a few times, but this is the first time I’m visiting with my 4-year-old nephew.  Disney with a kiddo is a bit different than Disney with my husband or friends, so like a good Girl Scout, I want to be prepared.

Overall, the guide is very thorough and offers tons of information on the rides, the parks, dining, history and fun facts.  It was easy for me to evaluate kiddie rides and shows because the Neals clearly detail everything, including the scare factor, something I need to keep in mind for the little nephew.

Guidebooks date quickly and to combat that, the Neals offer up a What’s New chapter at the start of the book.  I found this feature helpful and necessary.  There were ample photos of resorts and attractions, along with great map references.

The Complete Walt Disney World 2010 holds its own against other guidebooks and it would be a good research tool to have in your arsenal when planning your next trip to Disney World.  It doesn’t cover the other attractions in the area–Universal or Sea World like some other guides do–but it does offer up solid information, color photos, and great maps.

• At 2011.01.21 02:48, Anastasia said:

You’re going to Disney World! 😀 How exciting! I hope you and your family have a wonderful time.

I remember all the fun kiddo rides from when I was younger– I didn’t go on any of them this last time I went because it’s a bit embarrassing to do it without having a kid to tote along. But next time I’m definitely doing the teacups, at LEAST.

Oh! And if you’re going to Magic Kingdom, be sure to check out Toontown! It’s great for kids, plus they’re actually getting rid of it next month to make room for more Fantasyland, so this is the last chance to get in there and see the sights. Mickey and Minnie’s houses were particularly fun, and they also have some kid rides and a “meet the characters” thing. (You’ve probably read about this in your book, now that I think about. Er.)
    Anastasia´s last blog post ..REVIEW- The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by NK Jemisin

• At 2011.01.21 06:41, vivienne said:

My friends are going there tomorrow from England. Sigh. Wish I was going too. I hope you have a fabulous time. When i have gone, I have always used the Unofficial Guide as it lets you know all the secrets and things they would rather you didn’t know. Have fun.

• At 2011.01.21 09:27, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

Disney with a child is extra magical. I hope you and your family have a wonderful trip and come home refreshed!

• At 2011.01.21 11:51, Meg said:

Oooh, how exciting! I’ve visited Disney World three times (twice as a kid, once as a teen) and went to Disney Land last fall. It’s always a wonderful time. I hope you enjoy the heck out of it with your family — you all deserve it and more. 🙂 xoxoxo
          Meg´s last blog post ..Etsy Find Fridays- Writerly inspiration

• At 2011.01.21 14:48, Dishy said:

Happy & safe travels, Nat (and CO.!) Guess your nephew’s still a bit young for Space Mountain, but make sure you take him on the teacups. Those are the ladies FAVORITES (verboten for me). Otherwise, just have FUN – I know you will!! XO
            Dishy´s last blog post ..Sweet and Spicy Mixed Nuts

• At 2011.01.21 15:42, Natalie said:

well, i’m not so good with the roundy-round rides myself…so i’ll leave my sister in charge of that little gem. one interesting tidbit, some (or maybe all?) of the chilean miners will be in disney when we are–there is even a parade in their honor. pretty nifty.

• At 2011.01.21 19:07, Jennifer said:

Disneyworld – I was just there with the boyfriend! It was our first time there (we are from CA and so we frequent Disneyland) and the change was awesome. I loved every minute of it (as I’m sure you will especially with a 4 year old, kids just make Disney more magical!). Anyway, we bought a guidebook, and while I did see this one, we went with a different one (can’t remember the name off the top of my head). It was helpful. Between the book and the advice that resort and park crew members were eager to provide, I think that we truly got the best possible experience for first timers.

Enjoy your trip!

• At 2011.01.21 23:58, Jenners said:

I think that is a FANTASTIC idea!!! Have a wonderful time!
                Jenners´s last blog post ..Review- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

• At 2011.01.24 15:45, Alita said:

This sounds like such a great trip – and immersing yourselves fully in all things Disney I’m sure will make it extra fun. Have a wonderful time!
                  Alita´s last blog post ..Monday Round Up 012411

• At 2011.01.24 20:26, Kathleen said:

Enjoy your trip!
                    Kathleen´s last blog post ..Reality is Broken by Jane McGonigal

• At 2011.01.27 20:20, toothybooks said:

oh how fun!! i hope you have a blast over there with your family!! i always love taking trips with my family. we definitely bring the best and worst out of each other. 😀