Sweet Dreams: Do You Have Them?

Though I ‘left the nest’ some 18 years ago, my mom is still fobbing off old possessions on me.  My childhood bedroom was turned into an office about 10 years ago; miraculously, artifacts from my youth are still surfacing.  Every once in a while, my mother pops up with a shopping bag or box of treasures from childhood that I managed to leave behind.

In the most recent box, I found a treasure trove of books from my tween and early teen years.  I squealed with joy and recognition at cover after cover of Sweet Dreams series books.  A touch more esoteric than the ubiquitous (but equally entertaining) Sweet Valley High series, this series was comprised of mainly stand-alone novels without recurring characters.  Please embrace the haute couture of the 1980s:

These books weren’t literary masterpieces by a long stretch, but they were quick reads and pretty educational as I began to navigate the dicey waters of dating!  I don’t remember anything truly R-rated, usually just a few chaste smooches here and there, but enough to pique my interest in playing Spin the Bottle at the next boy-girl party.

After this series, I graduated to some more sophisticated reads, including the entire VC Andrews oeuvre and some of the more scandalous Judy Blume books–Forever, I’m looking directly at you!  But the Sweet Dreams series really takes me back to the age of Trapper Keepers, parachute pants, and Jell-O pudding pops.

• At 2011.01.07 22:03, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

Isn’t it funny how a book’s cover dates it like that? I wonder what we’ll think of today’s covers ten years from now.

• At 2011.01.08 09:15, Lenore said:

Yes! I still have PS I Love You. It was one of my favorites! Haha.
      Lenore´s last blog post ..2010 in Review- Books and Blog Stats!

• At 2011.01.08 15:15, Dishy said:

I also remember P.S. I Love You!!!!! Have no recollection of the plot, but sure do remember the cover. Probably the closest thing to a ‘romance novel’ I’ve ever read! HAH! Thanks for the memories, Nat (& mom)!
        Dishy´s last blog post ..Dinner at the Improv

• At 2011.01.08 16:54, A Southern Cousin said:

Annie Bananie is currently plowing her way through my Trixie Belden series that I saved since childhood. They are tattered paperbacks, some of them missing back covers, some with water stains. However, she seems to be enjoying them, dated illustrations and all.

• At 2011.01.09 16:48, Jess - A Book Hoarder said:

I wish my mom was more like yours in this department. I had a box of my most prized books from my childhood (sadly it didn’t include any Sweet Dreams books) and although I have searched for it more times than I can count, it has been missing for….over a decade? Wow! I just realized it has been that long. I think it is time I give up any hope of finding it.
            Jess – A Book Hoarder´s last blog post ..Giveaway – Waiting for Columbus – Audiobook

• At 2011.01.09 21:28, Jenners said:

Those covers are just classic!!!
              Jenners´s last blog post ..Link Up Your Take A Chance 3 Entries

• At 2011.01.10 00:41, Kathleen said:

Those covers are so 80’s! I think all teenage girls read V.C Andrews. Every one of my friends did!
                Kathleen´s last blog post ..Sometimes you Need to Read a Fairy Tale

• At 2011.01.10 20:52, toothybooks said:

I think sweet dreams were a little bit before my time, although i did devour the sweet valley books from jr. high to sweet valley university. funny! i moved on from sweet valley high to vc andrews too! mainly because my high school english teacher had so many vc andrews book on her shelf and i would borrow them to read.

• At 2011.01.10 23:17, bybee said:

Sweet Dreams and VC Andrews were a little bit after my time.
                    bybee´s last blog post ..Dreaming In Literature- Faulkner in Pajamas

• At 2011.01.12 09:59, Care said:

I missed these – but then, I’m just a teeny bit older than you. I was talking LesMiz and Tale of Two Cities in the 80’s but HS will do that to you. I did read the Judy Blume and VC Andrews stuff…
                      It’s cool that your Mom can still find some treasures to pass along to you.
                      (and thanks for checking on me. I have a ton of half posts and just need to commit. I’ve lost the writing passion but I’ll get it back, I’m sure. I have at least 3 reviews to write!)
                      Care´s last blog post ..A Confession

• At 2011.01.18 21:24, Coffee and a Book Chick said:

Did I really dress like that back then? Ahhh, what about Swatch watches and Tretorn sneakers?
                        Coffee and a Book Chick´s last blog post ..The Passage- by Justin Cronin

• At 2011.01.28 07:56, Sweet Hearts Romance Books said:

I found this blog when googling Sweet Dreams books instead of listing them. 🙂
                          I’m in Australia and have a small website selling many of those classic 80s teen romance books & series, Sweet Dreams included. I have 19 pages of that series, lol. If you just want a bit of a nostalgia kick by checking out covers and/or blurbs, feel free to visit out my site. And there is no obligation to buy any, just having a stick beak look is fine with me. 🙂

Cheers from Australia.