While snowbound last week, I began cobbling together a spreadsheet of the books I want to read in 2011. Yep, I’m officially a nerd with a customized Excel spreadsheet to track my future reads. I have a wall calendar to keep track of reviews and now a spreadsheet to organize the books I plan to read. Can a pocket protector be far off?
After many, many hours of browsing Edelweiss and online bookstores, my list began to take shape…and take on a life of its own. This list may carry over into 2011 and 2012! With so many titles on my list, I’m going to introduce some of the books by genre over the next few weeks here at Book, Line, and Sinker.
On deck today is NONFICTION, one of my favorite genres. I’m a fool for humor or travel essays, memoirs, and autobiographies. While this isn’t the most popular genre on many book blogs, I do feel it deserves recognition and promotion.
From the sources I reviewed, there were no fewer than 1,000 memoir/biography/autobiography/humor essay books on tap for 2011. This list is tailored to my personal taste and interest, but I did make an effort to toss in some titles that might have widespread appeal. Maybe this will be the year you dip your toe into the nonfiction pool.
Here are some nonfiction books* that caught my eye for 2011**:
- 500 Acres and No Place to Hide: More Confessions of a Counterfeit Farm Girl by Susan McCorkindale, 8/2/11, NAL Trade (Penguin)
- You Say Tomato, I Say Shut Up by Annabelle Gurwitch and Jeff Kahn, 2/8/11, Three Rivers Press
- Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Ree Drummond (aka The Pioneer Woman), 2/1/11, William Morrow
- Season to Taste: How I Lost My Sense of Smell and Found My Way by Molly Birnbaum, 6/21/11, Ecco
- Don’t Kill the Birthday Girl: Tales From an Allergic Life by Sandra Beasley, 7/12/11, Crown
- And I Shall Have Some Peace There: Trading in the Fast Lane for My Own Dirt Road by Margaret Roach, 2/23/11, Grand Central Publishing (Hachette)
- It’s All Relative: Two Families, Three Dogs, 34 Holidays, and 50 Boxes of Wine by Wade Rouse, 2/1/11, Crown
- Sideways on a Scooter: Life and Love in India by Miranda Kennedy, 4/26/11, Random House
- Signs of Life: A Memoir by Natalie Taylor, 4/12/11, Broadway
- The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie by Wendy McClure, 4/14/11, Riverhead
And there you have a tiny fraction of the scores of nonfiction memoirs and autobiographies due out in 2011. Did any of them catch your fancy or do you steer clear of nonfiction?
*Cover art is subject to change prior to publication.
** Release date information subject to change.