A Quick Trip to Hogsmeade

I made a whirl-wind road trip down to Florida for the weekend and managed to squeeze in a very abbreviated stop at Universal Studios to see the newest attraction: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.  Hogsmeade was an absolute mob scene despite the fact it was 3 pm on an overcast and threatening Sunday afternoon–I guess there’s no stopping Potter fans.

Kids and adults walked around in full costume–robes, hats, mugs of Butterbeer in hand–roaming the streets and chatting up other fans.  Lines snaked this way and that for entrance to Ollivander’s Wand Shop, Honeydukes, The Three Broomsticks, and all of the rides.

My cousin and I wandered around gaping at fiction brought to life.  Street vendors peddled everything from wands to pillows to school scarves.  I couldn’t take a single photo without capturing scores of other guests and didn’t really get any quality shots.

Despite the crowds, lines, and my own exhaustion, the visit was entertaining.  I wish there would have been a few more shops to visit–maybe The Leaky Cauldron and even Knockturn Alley–but I’d recommend a visit if you’re a fan of the series.

If you’ve visited, what did you think?  Are you planning a visit soon?

• At 2010.11.24 00:09, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

I haven’t been, but I’d love to!

• At 2010.11.24 01:06, Steph said:

So envious that you’ve had the chance to visit this! I’ve been wanting to go ever since I heard it was opening, but alas, I haven’t been able to swing any trips to Florida in the interim. It’s definitely on my wish list of places I must visit… preferably when it’s not swarming with Muggles!
      Steph´s last blog post ..“Luka and the Fire of Life” by Salman Rushdie

• At 2010.11.24 07:42, Iris said:

It is lovely to see some pictures even if you don’t call them quality shots. I really wish to visit Florida now, and to be honest I have never felt like that before.
        Iris´s last blog post ..A House To Let by Charles Dickens- Wilkie Collins- Elizabeth Gaskell and Adelaide Anne Procter

• At 2010.11.24 09:45, rhapsodyinbooks said:

I always hate when strangers get in my shots! :–) Cars too – just when you’ve got the camera set up and ready to go, someone invariably drives by!

• At 2010.11.24 09:53, Erin said:

It’s so weird to see “snow” everywhere, yet everyone is wearing summer clothes! I’ve never really cared to visit the Florida theme parks before, but Hogsmeade is tempting me now.
            Erin´s last blog post ..Thoughts on “Burning Valley” by Phillip Bonosky

• At 2010.11.24 13:11, dw said:

my brother recently went to florida for vacation and stopped by there. i wanted to go there ever since i saw his pictures, although they were similar to yours with strangers popping up in all of the photos.

• At 2010.11.24 14:29, Kathleen said:

This looks like so much fun. Being on the West Coast, I hope they add this attraction to our Universal Studios in So Cal too!
                Kathleen´s last blog post ..Thanksgiving in Hawaii

• At 2010.11.24 15:38, Dishy said:

Oooohhhhhhhh!!!!! Maddie’s friend just returned from FLA and this stop featured prominently. Maddie spent the whole of dinner the other night recounting the 2nd hand version of events. I’d like to see it for the fun of it, of course M & G want to visit for all the *STUFF* Like wands, etc. etc. We saw the new HP movie on Sunday and it was AWESOME!! PS: Happy Turkey Day, babe! I am going to PHILLY THIS WEEKEND _ SOLO _ and could not be more excited. OOOOoOoOOoHHHhH!!! XO
                  Dishy´s last blog post ..And the lucky winner is…

• At 2010.11.24 16:51, vivienne said:

I am so envious!
                    vivienne´s last blog post ..Finding Sky by Joss Stirling

• At 2010.11.24 20:05, Alita said:

So jealous! I would love to visit Hogsmeade someday.
                      Alita´s last blog post ..Monday Round Up 112210

• At 2010.11.25 22:12, Coffee and a Book Chick said:

Wonderful pictures. Can you believe I live two hours away and I still haven’t had a chance to visit? I really must make the time.
                        Coffee and a Book Chick´s last blog post ..Daphne du Mauriers Classics of the Macabre

• At 2010.11.27 01:16, Jess - A Book Hoarder said:

Oh my god I am so jealous!! I want to go so bad but I know that saving money for the trip isn’t my issue, it is finding a way to save enough money for all the cool stuff I am going to want to buy while I’m there!
                          Jess – A Book Hoarder´s last blog post ..Happy Thanksgiving!!

• At 2010.11.29 12:32, Amanda said: