Weekend Cooking: Pepper Steak

I spent the entire day in the kitchen preparing meals for the month (again!) and wanted to share a particularly easy and yummy recipe with you as part of Beth Fish Reads Weekend Cooking Challenge.  A few weeks back, a spiral-bound cookbook caught my eye at a tag sale, and I snapped it (and two others) up for $1.00.

Before Paula Deen was a household name, my mom and I happened upon her restaurant while in Savannah in 2001.  Our Yankee palates were smitten after sampling Paula’s biscuits with honey butter, hoecakes, fried chicken, and peach cobbler.

The cookbook was published in 1998 and features a recipe for Pepper Steak.  I intended to photograph the cooking process but had a crock-pot of chili on the counter, onions and peppers sauteing for another dish, and chicken browning for enchiladas in another pan.  My hands were full!

My husband and I enjoyed lunch-time bowls of the Pepper Steak over rice, and I managed a belated shot before I shunted the leftovers off to the freezer for another night’s meal.

Paula Deen’s Pepper Steak (adapted by me)

Serves 4

• 1 1/2 pounds round steak, pounded thinly
  • Sprinkle of paprika (I omitted this)
  • 2 tablespoons of butter (I used 1 tablespoon)
  • Garlic salt to taste (I omitted this, too.)
  • 10.5 oz. can beef broth
  • 1 large onion
  • 1 large bell pepper (I used 2)
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce

Pound round steak and cut into 1/4-inch strips; sprinkle with paprika.  Brown meat in butter; add garlic salt and beef broth.  Cover; simmer for 30 minutes.  Cut onion and pepper into strips.  Add to meat and simmer for 5 minutes.  Mix cornstarch with water and soy sauce, then add to meat mixture.  Simmer until sauce thickens slightly.  Serve over rice.

We really did enjoy this and it’s easy enough that I can make it without much trouble.  Feel free to add in the ingredients I omitted.  Enjoy!

• At 2010.11.07 18:56, Beth F said:

Oh my — that sounds soooooo good. Yummm.
    Beth F´s last blog post ..Weekend Cooking- Review- Flour by Joanne Chang and Bonus

• At 2010.11.07 19:02, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

It’s been years since I’ve been to Paula Deen’s restaurant – it’s so good, but I’m sure it’s not that good for you. Your pepper steak looks wonderful!

• At 2010.11.07 21:18, Dishy said:

MMmmmmm! This week is going to be devoted to salt free stock — this’ll make a perfect addition with some faux soy sauce. Thanks Nat, it looks yummy!
        Dishy´s last blog post ..Many thanks

• At 2010.11.08 00:35, dw said:

mmm that looks delicious and it sounds like something i could put together without burning down the house. i’ll have to give this one a try some day.

• At 2010.11.08 00:55, Steph said:

When we were in Savannah for our honeymoon we considered eating at Paula D’s restaurant, but wound up eating at another Southern style joint instead (Mrs Wilke’s Boarding House)… We thought we’d beat the line that way, but that place was also packed! I guess that’s what happens when you offer people all you can eat buttermilk biscuits… 😉

Kudos to you for continuing your month-long meal planning! Right now I’ve got chicken stew, frittata, and enchiladas that will likely get us through this week! Fingers crossed!
            Steph´s last blog post ..Mother-daughter fashion show!

• At 2010.11.08 05:24, nat @ book, line, and sinker said:

Steph,

In subsequent trips to Savannah, we’ve branched out and have eaten at places beyond Lady and Sons, which has become a huge tourist destination. There is so much good food in that city!

PS. Have you made it out to Martha’s on the Plantation yet???

• At 2010.11.08 09:55, vivienne said:

This does sound lovely. It is making me rather hungry.
                vivienne´s last blog post ..The Small Hand by Susan Hill

• At 2010.11.15 17:05, Kathleen said:

Sounds and looks yummy! I love Paula Deens!
                  Kathleen´s last blog post ..Thanks for the Books