Davy Jones’ Locker

Remember this flea market find?  I purchased this locker as additional storage space for my phone-booth sized kitchen.  For the last 10 years, we’ve been using our microwave as a pantry–less than ideal!

I can’t tell you the number of times we almost incinerated bags of bread (and Cheetos!) while attempting to set the timer on the microwave.  The microwave-pantry was a conflagration waiting to happen.  But with space at a premium in our doll-house sized kitchen, it was challenging to find a piece of furniture that would fit the space.

While in Vermont this July, I spotted the locker and decided to repurpose it as our new pantry.  I love school-themed decor (I collect globes and our entryway walls are decorated with a chalkboard and a pull-down world map –must be the educator in me!) and knew the locker would be a fun addition.

One coat of snappy red spray paint later and it’s sassy and fun!  My cookbook storage dilemma has also been solved.  No longer are my cookbooks relegated to the bookcase in the den, 30 paces from the kitchen.  Instead, I’ve housed them in the top two lockers and use the bottom three for pantry items.

Taking photos at night with a flash--a bad idea.

I’m really happy with the end result and will continue to hunt for unique flea market finds with which to decorate Chez Book, Line, and Sinker.  Next up: finish my office redecorating project!

• At 2010.10.04 23:28, rhapsodyinbooks said:

Once again, evidence of how incredibly industrious and clever you are! Amazing!!!
    .-= rhapsodyinbooks´s last blog ..October 4- 1957 – The USSR Launches Sputnik =-.

• At 2010.10.05 00:24, MarthaE said:

Good job – this looks great and is a fun way to store your “catches” (books). 🙂
      .-= MarthaE´s last blog ..Its Monday! What are you Reading October 4- 2010 =-.

• At 2010.10.05 01:41, Jess - A Book Hoarder said:

Yay the awesome locker is back. Okay, so I suppose the red is a step up from the puck yellow it was before (I still think I liked that color too). Is it bad to admit that even though this post comes with awesome pics of your adorable locker, the thing that made an impression on me was that you have a pull-down world map? I’m jealous!!

• At 2010.10.05 06:56, vivienne said:

Am I being daft, but what is the connection to Davy Jones? Is that the style of locker?

It looks awesome though and I am impressed at its change of use!
          .-= vivienne´s last blog ..Really Random Tuesday =-.

• At 2010.10.05 22:43, nat @book, line, and sinker said:

v-
            ‘davy jones’ locker’ is an expression that is sometimes used to indicate the bottom of the ocean and/or drowned sailors. according to Wiki, davy jones is a nickname for the devil. it doesn’t refer to that cutie pie singer from the monkees. 🙂

• At 2010.10.05 07:16, Sammy said:

I adore this and I adore you!!!!!!!!!! Hope you are well and the kiddies are treating you wonderfully 🙂 Have a great day!
            .-= Sammy´s last blog ..Heeellloooooo =-.

• At 2010.10.05 08:09, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

I love it! I could use something like that in my kitchen to store my cookbooks – currently they’re upstairs in our office.

• At 2010.10.05 09:18, Meg said:

Oooh, so awesome! Red was an excellent choice — so funky and fun.
                .-= Meg´s last blog ..Book review- ‘Hummingbirds’ by Joshua Gaylord =-.

• At 2010.10.05 13:20, Jabbercookie said:

what a great idea for your cook books!! mine are wedged between our liquor bottles, ’cause liquor bottles are the only books ends i have available right now LOL. =)
                  .-= Jabbercookie´s last blog ..An introduction to hoop dancing =-.

• At 2010.10.05 16:56, Belle said:

Wonderful storage idea! I love how you transformed that dull gray locker into something so cheerful.

• At 2010.10.05 19:01, Care said:

awesome. the globe is nice touch

• At 2010.10.05 19:43, Jenners said:

I love it! I love the bold color you picked. And I love that you have a whole school theme going on!
                        .-= Jenners´s last blog ..Up On The Roof =-.

• At 2010.10.06 10:33, Coffee and a Book Chick said:

Ha! I love this — I wish I could be this creative!
                          .-= Coffee and a Book Chick´s last blog ..Teaser Tuesday =-.

• At 2010.10.06 14:16, Jody said:

Awesome find! I would love a couple of those for my kids’ rooms, or the doorway for shoes.
                            .-= Jody´s last blog ..Dear LG- =-.

• At 2010.10.06 20:51, Yvette said:

Love, love, LOVE this idea! Brilliant, and such a great use of color.

• At 2010.10.07 13:45, Liz said:

What a great idea! It looks different as night and day after a coat of snazzy red paint and I love the school theme!

• At 2010.10.08 11:00, Steph said:

Love the apple red you chose for the locker! It looks great and has clearly made your life much easier as well! Job well done!
                                  .-= Steph´s last blog ..“Dead Until Dark” by Charlaine Harris =-.

• At 2010.10.08 16:47, dw said:

what a difference a little bit of paint makes! it looks great.

• At 2010.10.08 21:16, bybee said:

That red reminds me of hot piping delicious tomato soup. Great execution!
                                      .-= bybee´s last blog ..Guest Post- Sht My Mom Reads =-.

• At 2010.10.08 23:06, Lisa said:

That is a great addition! I’d love to find one of these–I’d buy it even if I wasn’t sure where I’d put it.
                                        .-= Lisa´s last blog ..An Interview with Naseem Rakha- author of The Crying Tree =-.

• At 2010.10.20 12:07, Kari said:

Hahaha oh my gosh! I thought my grandma was the only person who ever used her microwave for storage! I had forgotten about that, and you just gave me a good chuckle.
                                          Kari´s last blog post ..Where was Betsy-Tacy during my childhood Part 2