Can You Hear Me Now?

Skee ball.  Kittens and puppies.  Edward Cullen.  Vermont.  County fairs.  The NY Yankees.  The ocean.  Road trips.  Books.  Organizing my house.  My husband.  Reading.  Derek Jeter.  School.  In no particular order, these are some things that make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Brussel sprouts.  Bella Swan.  The Boston Red Sox.  Warm milk.  LEAVING COMMENTS ON SOME BLOGGER BLOGS. Telemarketers.  Tailgaters.  Scrappy Doo.  In no particular order, these are some things that turn my blood to ice and my heart to stone.

I’m going to have bumper stickers–or better yet, BOOKMARKS–printed up that say, “Friends don’t let friends struggle when attempting to leave blog comments.”  A bit wordy, but it gets my point across.

It could be that I’m just a doofus and am unable to navigate the most basic of blogging landscapes, but could some one please tell me why some Blogger blogs make commenting impossible?

Imagine this: I stumble across your blog, read your post, and would love to add my 2 cents.  I pen a lengthy (and at times, rambling) comment but when I go to submit it, I’m thwarted by BLOGGER. One of two things typically happens: a. My comment is deleted by blogger and I hear sinister laughter emanating from my laptop speakers, or b. My comment is eaten up because I don’t have an appropriate account.

To prevent this, I began taking steps to make life easier and keep my blood pressure in check.  Whenever I type out a comment on Blogger, I copy it and then try to post it.  This way, if I have trouble, I can just paste it back in and try again.

The major issue I face as a self-hosted, non Blogger blogger is the comment options.  If a Blogger blog doesn’t have NAME/URL enabled, I have to log into my Google account and leave a comment from Natalie with no track back, thus ensuring you have no idea who I am.

Or, in pictures, this is what I’m trying to say:

This is a dark and painful sight for me as it leaves me no options after typing my comment. Yes, I could use Google, but it kind of stinks. Note, this post has ZERO comments--maybe it's because NAME/URL isn't enabled. Lol.

On the other hand, here is a Blogger blogger who is a friend to all, discriminator of none!

This is all happiness and sunshine for me.

So dearest Blogger friends, if you could take a moment and make sure that your NAME/URL is enabled you can sleep soundly tonight knowing you have made me insanely happy.  My work here is done.  I’m off to reorganize the linen closet.

• At 2010.09.28 04:24, Iris said:

I’m not selfhosted, but since I have a wordpress blog and OpenID errors are very common, the URL option is one I use often (if available).

I have taken to copying before hitting publish as well, since about 1/3rd of my comments get lost on blogger. I often forget though and it depends on my mood if I feel like writing the whole comment again.
    .-= Iris´s last blog ..The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim =-.

• At 2010.09.28 05:23, vivienne said:

Blogger is being a pain in the butt at the moment. There are so many problems with it and I am ready to throw my computer at the wall. I may have to consider changing my blog to another site.
      .-= vivienne´s last blog ..Monday Mail =-.

• At 2010.09.28 05:26, vivienne said:

I just checked mine and realised I hadn’t changed it. Sorry! Now open to everyone’s comments.
        .-= vivienne´s last blog ..Monday Mail =-.

• At 2010.09.28 06:22, Jackie (Farm Lane Books) said:

LOL! I couldn’t agree with you more. I try to remember to copy my comments before hitting send, but keep forgetting and having them eaten. Very frustrating!!

PS. I thought you might like to know that I read this post in my google reader, clicked through to your blog and then tried to leave a comment by clicking on your image of a comment box!! LOL! So I’d add DO NOT PUT PICTUES OF COMMENT BOXES IN POSTS! It confuses tired bloggers!!
          .-= Jackie (Farm Lane Books)´s last blog ..Corrag – Susan Fletcher =-.

• At 2010.09.28 07:25, Chrisbookarama said:

I am a friend to all. I have all those choices. If your comment doesn’t go through, it’s Bloggers fault not mine. The commenting system on Blogger is the only thing I do not like about it.
            .-= Chrisbookarama´s last blog ..Witchcraft- Tales- Beliefs and Superstition by Clary Croft- Review =-.

• At 2010.09.28 09:02, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

I created a Google account that includes my blog name so that I can comment on blogger blogs. It’s still very difficult to do at times. If I can’t do it after two tries, I quit and move on.

• At 2010.09.28 09:14, Steph said:

Dude, I totally agree. I wound up creating a specific “blogging” Google account like bermudaonion to deal with the “who the heck is this?” issue, but it still sucks because I keep getting random errors on Blogger blogs when trying to post comments that make my comments disappear in a puff of smoke and a howl of anger. About 50% of the time I don’t even try again and just let me comment forever prowl the ether…
                .-= Steph´s last blog ..“Red Hook Road” by Ayelet Waldman =-.

• At 2010.09.28 12:34, softdrink said:

All I can say is I’m glad I moved to WordPress.
                  .-= softdrink´s last blog ..Under This Unbroken Sky =-.

• At 2010.09.28 13:11, Kimberly M. S. said:

Just checked the bloggity blog. Mine’s different than your pics; the option for name/url is located IN the profile drop down menu as opposed to below it as a button. Wonder why they would be different…

Jabbercookie

• At 2010.09.28 13:20, Dishy said:

DOWN WITH BLOGGER! UP WITH WORDPRESSSSSS! (extra esses for deliciousnesssesssss)

xo
                      .-= Dishy´s last blog ..America’s Kitchens and the women who shaped them =-.

• At 2010.09.28 13:23, Alita said:

I’ve started copying my comments before clicking ‘submit’, too, because of all those thought-out comments that just disappeared into nothingness.

Like Kathy and Steph, I created a google account with my book blog info in it. However it’s different than the google account I’m logged into all day for email, so it gets a bit messy when I need to sign out of that one and log into my other one. Comments still tend to disappear in the midst of all that. I’m sad to say that often I just don’t leave comments if Google ID is the only option.
                        .-= Alita´s last blog ..Monday Round Up 092710 =-.

• At 2010.09.28 16:07, Ti said:

This was a pain for me when I switched over to WordPress. I created a separate blogger account that I use just for posting comments on Blogger hosted blogs. In the profile, I list my website so they can contact me if they really want to.
                          .-= Ti´s last blog ..Review- Book Tour &amp Giveaway- Naked in Eden =-.

• At 2010.09.28 16:25, Elisabeth said:

Thank you for making it easier to leave comments!! I am often frustrated by bloggers who make it difficult to comment if you don’t have an account. I have tried to overcome the frustration by decided that if they are going to be difficult they will lose out on the benefit of my “wonderful” comments.

• At 2010.09.28 17:01, Florinda said:

Confession: My blog is on Blogger. I agree with Chris – its built-in comment system is the only thing I really dislike about it. It’s very lacking and really needs to be upgraded. I dropped it a few months ago and installed IntenseDebate, but that has its own issues – some people who could leave me comments with Blogger can’t do it with ID.

If I recall correctly, I think that if you don’t permit anonymous comments in Blogger, that removes the Name/URL option as well, which looks to be the case for the blog you’ve pictured. It may cut down on spam, but it’s definitely annoying.
                              .-= Florinda´s last blog ..Ill be lurking for you! Are you lurking for me =-.

• At 2010.09.28 23:49, nat @book, line, and sinker said:

i guess there’s no easy solution in all this mess. i didn’t realize that opening up the NAME/URL would also open people to additional spam. i just want to leave comments for some of my blogger buddies without totally losing my mind or spending 15 minutes doing it. lol.

• At 2010.09.28 20:37, Jenners said:

I think the main reason people don’t enable that is that it also permits anonymous comments, which then inundates you with spam.

Blogger comments are really nuts. There are all kinds of ways they appear. I’ve noticed that even more since I switched over to self-hosted WordPress. But I kept my Blogger account to make things easier for myself — especially if you read a lot of Blogger blogs.
                                .-= Jenners´s last blog ..A Valley Girl’s Take on Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen =-.

• At 2010.09.28 23:47, nat @book, line, and sinker said:

i totally hear the spam thing–i had over 200 spam comments in 2 days–but my site blocks them for the most part. i just feel bad when i want to leave comments for some bloggers–especially those who have posts with no comments–but am unable to with ease. i do read a ton of blogger blogs–maybe i should just get one and redirect it here. 🙂

• At 2010.09.29 17:00, Alyce said:

I was happy to see that my comment form has that! I am switching to a self-hosted blog in the next month or two (depending on when my husband can help me with it) and then I won’t have to worry about blogger’s problems anymore. Yippee!
                                  .-= Alyce´s last blog ..The Transformation of Bartholomew Fortuno – Review =-.

• At 2010.09.29 22:19, Lisa said:

Wow–I’m not sure now that I have that. I think so but then I never leave comments on my blog. Must go check now!
                                    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..31 Hours =-.

• At 2010.09.30 08:35, Kim V said:

I never realized before that blocking anonymous posters also blocks non blogger bloggers. I have now changed mine to accept Name/url.

• At 2010.09.30 11:03, Jody said:

Oh yup! Most of the blogs I read are WP only because I can’t stand leaving a comment on Blogger. I’ve also taken to the copy/paste thing. I know so many bloggers who have switched to WP because blogger has way less options.
                                        .-= Jody´s last blog ..Have I ever told you about my mom =-.

• At 2010.10.01 10:18, Care said:

I hear ya. I also am annoyed by the ones that have 3 step process to add a comment. First you hit submit, then they want to know WHO you are and THEN they want you to add the captcha and THen…. maybe it will allow the comment. So if I can’t write the comment/whoIam/captcha in ONE step, I usually mosey on down the blogger path. Unless they’ve commented at my site and I really like them. So, yea, I usually just vent a bit and submit/type-submit/type-submit and cross my fingers.
                                          HAllujah for WP!
                                          When I first started book blogging, I was very sad that so there were 2 camps, so to speak, and I always thought blogspotbloggers didn’t like me because they never came and commented at my blog. Of course, all this self-hosting trend has made it difficult to be Only-WP but I love how easy it is to check comments, see responses (my FAVORITE thing about WP) and have spam blocked.
                                          oh, since I’m gripping, on a roll here… I also can’t stand that when you click on a blogger comment to go visit that blog, you get the blogger profile interface first. Pls eliminate these useless steps!
                                          I’ll shut up now. 🙂
                                          .-= Care´s last blog ..Room =-.

• At 2010.10.01 10:18, Care said:

I meant griping. oh well.
                                            .-= Care´s last blog ..Room =-.

• At 2010.10.02 21:16, Lahni said:

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!
                                              .-= Lahni´s last blog ..The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton =-.

• At 2010.10.02 23:43, Holly said:

I changed mine awhile ago, now that I moderate comments. I don’t love this option because it allows anonymous comments and I hate anonymous comments! I abhor word verification too, but having it on has eliminated my spam comments.

My biggest pet peeve? People who don’t have their email available. Inevitably, the person who comments AND asks a question hasn’t made their email available so I can’t reply to the question. Bugs me to no end!
                                                .-= Holly´s last blog ..My Name is Mary SutterReview =-.

• At 2010.10.03 06:37, Marg said:

The recent change to Blogger particularly in relation to catching spam should mean that it is less necessary to be ultra conservative in the settings to prevent spamming, but there are a lot of Blogger blogger’s out there who haven’t got that message yet. It doesn’t catch 100% of comments, but I would say it is at about 95%.

As a blogger user, even I get annoyed with the comments (generally embedded forms) that seem to take three attempts to go through. I know some people don’t like the popup forms but I would rather have a one stop comment than three steps.
                                                  .-= Marg´s last blog ..TSS- September Reading Reflections =-.

• At 2010.10.05 16:50, Valerie said:

The blogger comment format (3x step) that Care mentions is really, really, really annoying.

There’s also the one that shows an X in a box (an error) for word verification — showing no word at all — so I just type in something random and then it says I’m wrong and the second time around it shows an actual word verification.

And, at yet others, I leave a comment, then if I want to be sure it got through I have to scroll down through all the other comments to make sure it got accepted. Often times it will say there’s an error and ask me to resubmit my google name/account. Sometimes I forget to check to do this, and the poor blog post doesn’t get a comment from me!

BTW, if you are on wordpress, the email is part of the entry, so you as the admin get the address (privately) and are able to respond 🙂

I’m going to volunteer during the read-athon this weekend as a cheerleader, and I know that going through all these steps to leave comments, means fewer comments overall will get left on blogs because it’s all so time-consuming 🙁 .
                                                    .-= Valerie´s last blog ..October Occurrences =-.

• At 2010.10.08 01:51, Michelle @ The True Book Addict said:

You won’t run into this problem on my blog. I recently installed intense debate! Hope you will stop by sometime!
                                                      .-= Michelle @ The True Book Addict´s last blog ..CAT THURSDAY HALLOWEEN =-.