A Book for all Seasons (and bookshelves)
Recently, a group of friends (readers and non-readers) and I were having conversation about books, and I asked they thought that there is a single book with such universal appeal that it would be found on the bookshelves in more than 75% of homes with readers across the country (or world). This question sparked a lively and humorous debate, and we came up with several potential titles.
We argued about including genres–cookbooks, reference books, religious books–and in the end decided that we’d permit religious and reference books, but the real goal was to name a specific book that transcends genres and could be found in greater than 7 out of 10 homes where books are owned.
I agreed to survey the biggest population of book lovers that I know–book bloggers–and ask them weigh in on our titles and offer up their own suggestions. This is probably the least scientific survey of all time, but I thought it would be fun to see your answers.
Do you have any of the following books on your shelves?
- DICTIONARY (This answer was our number 1 choice but received criticism because it’s technically a reference book.)
- BIBLE/TORAH/KORAN/ET AL
- THE DA VINCI CODE (It has mass appeal and even my non-reader friends had copies.)
- HARRY POTTER (any book in the series)
- TWILIGHT (any book in the series)
- DR. SEUSS book (any title) Green Eggs and Ham is on my bookshelf!
If you had to name the top two or three books you could find on book bloggers’ shelves, what would they be?