My Audio Book Boyfriends

My library has such a paltry selection of audio books that in desperation, I’ve checked out books I wouldn’t normally read.  Jonathan Kellerman and Clive Cussler pen some of these books, and after listening to John Rubinstein and Scott Brick narrate them, I’m smitten.

Meet Scott, one of my audio book boyfriends.

I’m telling you that these two narrators elevate these books–most of which are just run-of-the-mill thrillers–to new levels and leave me salivating for more.  As far back as I can remember, I loved being read to and suppose that this is just an extension of that.

But Scott Brick! His commanding voice brings on the vapors.  I find myself making excuses to run errands just to spend a few more minutes listening to him.  I take the long way home from work, and weekly rides back and forth to my sister’s house (180 miles round trip) are made impossibly short when listening to him.

Right now, I have a Clive Cussler novel on my nightstand that I can’t get into because Scott’s not reading it to me.  The man has ruined me for Cussler novels.  Scott, I love your voice!  Sing me to sleep!  Record the message on my answering machine!

I never spent much time considering audio books until a few years ago; today I can’t drive without one.  I lay in a surplus because the thought of being trapped in the car without something to listen to is intolerable.  I’ve blogged about audio books in the past and there was a recent spate of audio book posts around the blogs, but this is more of a tribute to the heroes of audio books–the narrators.

Lucky for me Scott Brick has narrated over 400 audio books so I won’t be running out of his material any time soon!

• At 2010.08.17 07:49, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

Scott Brick is a wonderful reader. You need to check out Simon Vance and Steven Weber too!

• At 2010.08.17 10:07, Allison @ AudiobookCommunity.com said:

What a great post! I love Scott Brick too, and I agree with Kathy–Simon Vance and Steven Weber are fantastic (especially Simon…*swoon*)

If you haven’t already, you should check out audiobookcommunity.com. We launched it back in June, and we already have a bunch of members talking about their favorite narrators, audiobooks, and so on (and, yes, Simon Vance and Scott Brick have been known to make an appearance there every now and again).

Hope to see you there, and happy listening!
      Allison (of audiobookcommunity.com)
      PS- I love your blog name!

• At 2010.08.17 13:09, Ti said:

My word!! I clicked over to his site and in turn listened to a sample. His voice is like buttah! No wonder you get the vapors listening to him.

I guess I pick all the wrong audiobooks because the ones that I listen to are such a turn-off. Nasally voices, mouth breathers… not Scott!
        .-= Ti´s last blog ..Review- Strangers at the Feast =-.

• At 2010.08.17 15:09, Natalie said:

lol! he has quite a voice, right? there are some audio books that i absolutely can’t stomach–i hate to say it, but the harry potter audio books just don’t work for me because of the narrator. 🙁

• At 2010.08.17 17:05, Kathleen said:

I’ve never had much success with audio books but I’ve heard and you certainly have reinforced for me that the narrator is the key. I’ll keep this guy’s name on my list so I can check when I do try another audio books. He might have to be my boyfriend too!

• At 2010.12.21 12:42, lilith326 said:

The Joe Pitt series by Charlie Houston, narrated by Scott Brick has to be one of the best series that Scott has narrated. It is a tale of a modern day vampyre detective along the lines of Phillip Marlowe and Sam Spade, which is not your typical Romance with Fangs story line. The story is extremely well written and you can tell that Scott enjoys narrating this type of story, but be forewarned it is a bit violent and there are curse words, but nothing I couldn’t handle. I have to say it is my FAVORITE!

• At 2010.08.17 19:32, dw said:

i just started listening to audiobooks a few weeks ago so i’m a total newbie when it comes to narrators. i’m actually still on my first audiobook because i have to keep hitting the repeat track button since my mind has a tendency to wander when i’m driving and i’ll miss something important. how do you pay attention to the road and listen to the audiobook at the same time?

thanks for recommending some narrators though. i’ll have to keep my eye out for those guys. 🙂

• At 2010.08.17 19:37, Jenners said:

I have to ask you: Does he look likes he sounds???

Sounds like you have a voice crush!
              .-= Jenners´s last blog ..Review- The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier &amp Clay by Michael Chabon =-.

• At 2010.08.17 22:02, S. Krishna said:

This post is so funny! I’m just now starting to really listen to audiobooks and I’m loving the experience.
              .-= S. Krishna´s last blog ..Book Review- The Unexpected Son – Shobhan Bantwal =-.

• At 2010.08.20 09:04, Dishy said:

On the way back from HOTlanta we listened to a third of The Private Patient by P.D. James. I got so hooked, I checked the (non-audio) book out from the library as soon as we got home. I love audio books for road trips, but they’re so few & far between for us, I have a hard time listening when we get home. And I can’t do iPods, so it’s the real deal for me! PS: Private Patient is an AWESOME BOOK. Just sayin..
                .-= Dishy´s last blog ..Big Foot That You =-.

• At 2010.08.20 15:48, Kerry said:

I’ve just started to get into audiobooks and I’m loving them so far. Does your library have access to digital audiobooks? I discovered the link for mine, and while the selection is still limited, there are more there than at the branch. They can be put on an iPod or burned to disc (depending how your car sound system works).

I tried to listen to the audio version of Catcher in the Rye recently, and didn’t make it more than 5 minutes in because the narrator was awful. The audio version of the Swan Thieves, however, was SPECTACULAR, and I loved the voices – all 4 of them!
                  .-= Kerry´s last blog ..Recommended Blog Reading =-.

• At 2010.08.24 10:46, A Southern Cousin said:

When my kids were younger, I would check out audio books (Cam Janson, Henry and Mudge, etc.) from the library for them to listen to on long drives. I have never really done it for myself. Well, I was curious, so this week I checked out Blink by Malcolm Gladwell on audio. I have it on in my car and enjoy listening to it as I sit in the carpool line for 20 minutes daily.

• At 2010.12.18 15:26, Scott Brick said:

Wow, who knew I had virtual girlfriends…? And I actually know John Rubinstein, he’s a wonderful guy, we run into each other at the studio all the time, we even appeared in a movie together, but who knew we shared a girlfriend? Well, suffice it to say that I’m honored, and touched, and still laughing. Thanks everyone, for all the kind words. And thanks, Natalie, for keeping my stuff on your iNightstand, I really appreciate you listening.

Best,

Scott Brick

• At 2010.12.18 15:27, Stacy Massey said:

Ladies…

Scott Brick is not only gorgeous, but his voice IS like “buttah”… as someone quoted above. You see I know this personally as Scott is my “other” brother. To tell you a little about the man… he is kind, considerate, a great hand in the kitchen and adores our children. If you don’t already get his emails, for goodness sake sign up. Read his blog, buy his books and pray that his beautiful voice continues to touch lives for generations.

Scott’s #1 Fan,

His “Other” Sister

• At 2010.12.19 23:53, kosmo @ The Soap Boxers said:

I’d suggest DeMille’s The Lion’s Game. 25 hours of Brick – and it’s a good book, too.
                          kosmo @ The Soap Boxers´s last blog post ..The Leak