BL&S HQ Gets a Face Lift

I’ve been trawling flea markets, garage sales, and antique shops with greater frequency because I’m redecorating my home office, headquarters of Book, Line, and Sinker.  The room is an 11×11 foot square with hardwood floors, two windows, a double-door closet, and tons of sunlight.

I would like to add a cozy armchair for reading, a bookshelf/wall unit, and new bamboo shades on my windows.  On the wall above my armchair, I’m going to hang enlargements of the macro photos I took of pages from my favorite books.

I used iVilliage’s trusty design-a-room tool and came up with some ideas based on the scale of the space I have.  This will hopefully prevent me from buying furniture that is too large for my space, something I do with alarming frequency.

I filled the my mock-up with some pricey furniture and will use what I can find at tag sales to stand in for the more expensive pieces.   The desk is actually pretty reasonable–a Liatorp from Ikea–and I have matching pieces in my living room.

The mock-up is more formal than my room will be, and I think the wall unit is a bit overpowering for my little room, but the color scheme, furniture shape, and layout are what I’m aiming for.

I’ve got a few other DIY projects going on (taking up an old slate floor in our foyer!) in the rest of the house and am trying to focus a few hours a day on back-to-school prep.  18 days until school starts…hope I can get everything done in time!

Are you working on any home improvements?  Does your workspace need a bit of a face lift?

• At 2010.08.12 08:01, A Southern Cousin said:

Love the office layout. I would love to find a designated reading nook in my own house! Once you get those slate floors up, perhaps you want to come down here and help my DH lay some new wood floors?

• At 2010.08.12 08:20, Chrisbookarama said:

Looks good! I’d love to find some bookcases for my basement. We’re almost done the renos down there.
      .-= Chrisbookarama´s last blog ..Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez audiobook- Review =-.

• At 2010.08.12 08:43, Serena said:

looks nice and I like the wall unit..but I love that desk chair..though would it be comfortable…lol
        .-= Serena´s last blog ..To Conquer Mr Darcy by Abigail Reynolds =-.

• At 2010.08.12 09:07, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

I love the layout of the room, including the wall unit! We don’t do home improvement projects. When things like that need to be done, we move!

• At 2010.08.13 10:40, Dishy said:

Sweet space babe – can’t wait to see real life AFTER pix!
            .-= Dishy´s last blog ..Big Foot That You =-.

• At 2010.08.13 11:00, Ti said:

Are you using the space now? I find that it’s much easier to design a space if you’ve already been using it. I can quickly point out what doesn’t work, what I need that I don’t have, etc. But leave me with an empty room and I get a bit overwhelmed.

I love the design you came up with. I do not think that bookshelf is too large for the space. You need some greenery in there though. Especially with all that natural light.
              .-= Ti´s last blog ..Book Shout-Out- Strangers at the Feast =-.

• At 2010.08.13 14:57, Kerry said:

This is lovely! Please post pictures of the final product. I would reiterate above comments that the shelving is not too large for the space.
                .-= Kerry´s last blog ..Great Photo Friday! =-.

• At 2010.08.13 21:29, Jenners said:

Looks cool! And I want to go play with that program now!
                  .-= Jenners´s last blog ..Dear Mr James Patterson- A Review Of Sorts of 1st To Die =-.

• At 2010.08.14 13:57, Jess - A Book Hoarder said:

Oh man I’m in love! Can I live there?

• At 2010.08.14 15:12, dw said:

i love the wall unit! i wish i had enough space for a wall unit in my room. i can’t wait to see the room once it fully furnished and finish. 🙂

• At 2010.08.15 15:36, Jennifer said:

No big home improvements going on for me YET. I’m moving back into the dorms in a couple weeks and I’m sure when I do I’ll be on the lookout for items to make the space more me. But I love this mock up of your office. Consider me extremely jealous. I hope you’ll share pictures when you find all the pieces you need! I bet it will be absolutely fabulous. I can only hope that my work space at school is even a fraction as wonderful!
                        .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Review- Damsel Under Stress =-.

• At 2010.08.17 13:32, Alita said:

I love the bookcase! I’ve always wanted a bookcase with a ladder, all Beauty and the Beast-like. Sigh.
                          .-= Alita´s last blog ..Monday Round Up 081610 =-.