and the Number 1 Reason I’m reading less lately…

I used to spend 95% of my evening wind-down time reading.  And then I started downloading game Apps onto my iPhone.  Things spiraled quickly out of control from there.  Now it’s not unusual for me to be up into the wee hours of the night attempting to clear new levels on a bevy of addictive games that I cannot put down.

In addition to compulsively trying to clear all levels on Angry Birds, I’m playing 19 simultaneous games of  online Scrabble (Words With Friends–care to play a round with me???  My name is Peppermint Natty!) .   I’m also trying my hand at building housing developments in a game imaginatively titled Build-a-lot.

The bloom is off Diner Dash, HS Hero, Frosting, Ragdoll Blaster, Coin Dozer, Doodle Jump, and a few other games I played to death.  I’m wasting precious read (and SLEEP) time playing these mindless games.  I can hear my brain cells offing themselves by the hundreds.  My husband wakes from sound sleep to see my manic face bathed in the glow of my iPhone and hisses for me to go to bed.

There must be a 12-step program for my OCD gaming habit!  Or maybe there’s an App for that!

• At 2010.07.29 11:43, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

You are so funny! I have Words with Friends on my phone too. I’ve found Carcassonne to be addictive as well.

• At 2010.07.29 11:57, bibliolatrist said:

I. HEAR. YOU.

I’m so ADD at this point, I read for five minutes and have to take a break.

(PS – plants vs. zombies is AWESOMEEE)
      .-= bibliolatrist´s last blog ..Victory is mine =-.

• At 2010.07.30 11:15, dw said:

I concur!! I love plants vs. zombies!

it’s good to know I wasn’t the only one obsessing over these games. 🙂

• At 2010.07.29 12:04, Natalie @ Coffee and a Book Chick said:

Oh my, this is too funny — that picture is from Angry Birds, right? I am so happy that I’m not the only one out there that has been trying to balance reading with these Apps. I am obsessed and they are controlling my life!!
        .-= Natalie @ Coffee and a Book Chick´s last blog ..People of the Book- by Geraldine Brooks =-.

• At 2010.07.29 13:18, Serena said:

I have a new Facebook addiction to Family Feud. I feel your pain!
          .-= Serena´s last blog ..Final Week of the Paco’s Story Readalong =-.

• At 2010.07.29 13:28, Alita said:

Hehe… this is why I’ve limited myself to two game apps right now – I would totally become addicted if I had more! But don’t worry, I’ve found other ways to waste time, which I just blogged about the other day 😉
            .-= Alita´s last blog ..Do You Youtube =-.

• At 2010.07.29 14:29, Kathleen said:

Sounds like a good thing that I don’t have these apps or I would be up until all hours of the night too!

• At 2010.07.29 14:49, sammy25 said:

OMG iphone apps are the devil’s work! P.S. Have you seen this????

Thoughts about her accepting Angie Jolie as Kay Scarpetta in the movie version of her books?

.-= sammy25´s last blog ..Like a Lamb Led to Slaughter =-.

• At 2010.07.29 15:59, Andi said:

I did this for a bit after I got my iPod Touch. My personal favorites are Skeeball, Super Collapse, and Zombie Farm. Zombie Farm is ridiculous. When my son was just born and still keeping me up on and off all night, I would wake up in the wee hours, harvest a load of breadfruit and a Rube Zombie, and go back to sleep. Ohhh, the addiction!
                  .-= Andi´s last blog ..More SubHerban Gardening =-.

• At 2010.07.29 19:55, Dishy said:

Friends from Philly were visiting a couple weekends ago and somehow we got to talking about iphone apps. Long story short: I don’t have any. But my one friend has a TON. We spent some time scrolling through several of her recipe ones, which were indeed very cool – but me? Still no apps.
                    .-= Dishy´s last blog ..Big Foot That You =-.

• At 2010.07.29 23:43, nat @book, line, and sinker said:

if you haven’t started with game apps, please listen to my cautionary tale and avoid them! xooxo

• At 2010.07.31 03:21, IntrovertedJen said:

I used to play a lot of these games on my computer, then I discovered blogging! We’re on opposite paths! They are definitely addicting.
                      .-= IntrovertedJen´s last blog ..Friday Flashback Review- Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland =-.

• At 2010.07.31 18:56, Beth F said:

I’m afraid to read this too closely because I love playing games
                        .-= Beth F´s last blog ..Weekend Cooking- Grilled Pizza =-.

• At 2010.07.31 22:06, bybee said:

I’m playing Blackjack and Scrabble online.
                          .-= bybee´s last blog ..The First DNF Is The Deepest =-.

• At 2010.08.01 01:54, Lisa said:

I used to yell at my kids to get off the video games all of the time. And then I discovered Tetris and I totally understood how addictive they can become. I did the late night thing, too. One day, after I took the kids to school, I played for four hours–didn’t even realize I was doing it. Had to go cold turkey after that!
                            .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Thrity Thursdays or The Space Between Us Readalong =-.

• At 2010.08.01 03:44, Lex said:

Oh you make me laugh very much Natalie! I love Diner Dash! I love anything kitchen, restaurant, fast food related games. Good thing I don’t have an iPhone yet or I’ll be dead + the already bad sleeping habits.
                              .-= Lex´s last blog ..Mortified =-.

• At 2010.08.02 00:51, Jess - A Book Hoarder said:

Oh man, I finally got to a place where I wasn’t obsessing over my games and now I am just trying not to download more. I a bit ashamed of some of my favorites…Cowabunga (what can be more fun then bouncing cows?), Trace, Papi Jump and of course you have to have Blocks Classic (it’s a classic duh, it’s there in the name). I swear they sound stupid but I could not get enough. Sorry if I am just feeding your addiction, who needs sleep anyway?
                                .-= Jess – A Book Hoarder´s last blog ..My LibraryThe Other One =-.

• At 2010.08.02 10:40, Donna said:

Well, hey, I have a gaming computer! No apps for my phone though and I know it’s a good idea if I don’t download any! That way lies trouble ;=)

• At 2010.08.02 19:45, Jenners said:

Oh yes … Angry Birds. Don’t even get me started. I’ve been stuck on the same freaking level for weeks now. Weeks!!!! My husband finished them all and is going back to get 3 stars in each.

Have you ever tried The Moron Test? It is addictively fun.
                                    .-= Jenners´s last blog ..Review- The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind by William Kamkwamba and Bryan Mealer =-.

• At 2010.08.02 21:37, Jennifer said:

I’m having the same problem with my iPad. And I had the same problem with my iPad (only for me, it was all about Bejeweled!). Best of luck kicking your addiction and returning to the world of reading, but until then, enjoy your new found fun.
                                      .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Review- The Year of the Flood =-.