Comic Relief

My husband and I both love to read, but our preferred reading material couldn’t be more different.  While I’m snuggled up with a Harry Potter novel, he’s tearing through a true crime story.  Anthony also reads a genre that I could never, even as a kid, enjoy.  He’ll spend hours reading Spider-Man, Batman, and Conan comic books from his childhood.

For an unknown reason, I have an aversion to comic books.  I’ve tried to pinpoint why I dislike a genre that so many love; the only thing I can conjecture is the combination of small writing and action-packed pages leads to sensory overload in my brain.

Every once in a while during my pre-teen years I’d buy a MAD magazine, if only to salivate over the prizes featured on the Olympic Sales page.  This page, usually in full color, promised a bevy of prizes to all the good girls and boys who could peddle some mystery products to their unsuspecting family and neighbors.

The details in the ad were a bit sketchy, and my mom never let me get far enough into my phone call to Olympic Sales to actually glean any information, but boy did I want to win the inflatable raft for two.

As an adult, I did manage to read a graphic novel and found it easier to navigate than a traditional comic.  It’s not my preferred genre, but I’m not opposed to reading graphic novels in the future.

I know my husband isn’t alone with his love of comics, but I wonder just how many book bloggers are or have been comic book readers.  Are you a Spidey fan? Or is Superman more your speed?

• At 2010.07.26 08:34, vivienne said:

Comic books as such don’t interest me, but I do enjoy the odd graphic novel. I have read some fantastic ones this year.
    .-= vivienne´s last blog ..Schools Out For Summer! =-.

• At 2010.07.26 08:40, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

I do enjoy graphic memoirs and as a kid, I loved Archie comic books!!

• At 2010.07.26 10:57, Lex said:

Oh, I am not fond of them! Maybe I just feeling too matured to graphic novels and comic books. I also feel like the said action and thrill on comic books is lessened because of the drawings! I’m just used to descriptions and scenes playing in my head.

There are also such things called Manga or Japanese comics. These are the only comics I read though I don’t like to call it a comic book for it is not colored and certainly my preferred choice. Hmm, maybe I hate the colored graphics too?

• At 2010.07.26 15:40, Kari said:

Wow you just took me back with the Olympia Sales Club! I did actually send in for a sales kit and peddled goods to my neighbors. I don’t think I ever sold enough to get anything good, but I always wanted the gumball fish tank.
          .-= Kari´s last blog ..Where was Betsy-Tacy during my childhood Part I =-.

• At 2010.07.26 17:17, Dishy said:

Am I the only one here w/ a home subscription to MAD Magazine?
            .-= Dishy´s last blog ..Big Foot That You =-.

• At 2010.07.26 17:18, Dishy said:

PS: I too drooled over those crazy Sales Club ads. Never brave enough to try. But the one I realllly loved was for the Sea Monkeys. Be still my heart! What a way to shatter a child.. learning they were just brine shrimp. BASTARDS!
              .-= Dishy´s last blog ..Big Foot That You =-.

• At 2010.07.27 14:10, connie said:

brine shrimp…you’re kidding…no little monkeys that romp in water? LOL

• At 2010.07.26 18:01, Andi said:

I’ve never been a fan of traditional superhero comics, but I do love a good graphic novel that leans toward the literary. Maus, American Born Chinese, and Fables come to mind.
                .-= Andi´s last blog ..More SubHerban Gardening =-.

• At 2010.07.26 20:51, Kathleen said:

I’ve never been a big comic book fan but I did enjoy reading Mad magazine as a youngster. I was probably about 6 or 7 and the cartoons were wildly inappropriate for me but I did enjoy it nonetheless!

• At 2010.07.27 14:11, connie said:

I am entirely too ADD for comic books or graphic novels.Give me a 1000 page book anyday!

• At 2010.07.28 02:22, IntrovertedJen said:

I read Archie when I was little, but I don’t read comics as such now. I’ve read a few graphic novels that have become favorites. Maus I & II by Art Spiegelman about his father’s Holocaust experiences and Persepolis I & II by Marjane Satrapi about growing up in revolutionary Iran.

My husband says he dislikes comics or graphic novels because he physically can’t follow the story. He just can’t tell which box to go to next when they start getting all creative with sizes and placement.
                      .-= IntrovertedJen´s last blog ..Review- Spell Hunter by R J Anderson =-.

• At 2010.08.02 19:44, Jenners said:

I’ve never been a fan of comic books so it was with total trepidation that I read Michael Chabon’s The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, which is all about comic books (but more too). Reading the Chabon book made me actually want to read some comic books. His obvious love for the form and the way he told the history of the comic book industry in the book totally sucked me in. Maybe you could do a husband-wife read-a-long of Chabon’s book! : )
                        .-= Jenners´s last blog ..Review- The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind by William Kamkwamba and Bryan Mealer =-.