Mailbox Monday

I sporadically play along with Marcia from The Printed Page and share what books came into my possession in the last week or so.  Here’s a peek at a few of the books I’m working on for the next few weeks:

collage created at photovisi.com
  • While in Vermont for a weekend getaway, I picked up a copy of the epic Lonesome Dove for a whopping $1.06 at a thrift shop.  My parents have been raving about it for 100 years, and I saw a terrific mini-review written by an employee at The Northshire Bookstore.
  • My sister bought me a copy of Olive Kitteridge for my birthday.
  • At a used bookstore in Brattleboro, VT, I nabbed a copy of Men and Dogs by Katie Crouch.  I read Girls in Trucks and decided to give this one a whirl.
  • I received two surprise books for review from Penguin–The Book of Peach by Penelope J. Stokes and The Jewel of St. Petersburg by Kate Furnivall.
  • I couldn’t resist a copy of Mortuary Confidential by Todd Hara and Ken McKenzie while browsing at Mystery on Main in Brattleboro.   (not pictured in collage)

• At 2010.07.19 02:31, Cathy said:

Happy reading! You’ve got a lovely stack of books there!
    .-= Cathy´s last blog ..Mailbox Monday- Just What the Shelf Doctor Ordered =-.

• At 2010.07.19 07:21, Kaye said:

OOH, I am so jealous of The Jewel of St Petersburg. I love Kate’s books and The Russian Concubine and The Girl from Junchow were just fabulous reads!!! My mailbox is here Have a wonderful week and happy reading!

• At 2010.07.19 07:41, Mary (Bookfan) said:

The Book of Peach was my WOW post last week. Hope it’s a good read!
        .-= Mary (Bookfan)´s last blog ..In My Mailbox-Mailbox Monday – July 18-19 =-.

• At 2010.07.19 09:38, bermudaonion said:

I love your collage! My mom was raving about Lonesome Dove the last time I saw her, so I’ll be watching for your review.

• At 2010.07.19 11:18, Alayne said:

Thrift books are the best. 🙂 Congrats! Happy reading. My mailbox is at The Crowded Leaf.

• At 2010.07.19 12:07, Beth(bookaholicmom) said:

The Book of Peach is going on my wish list. It looks like a book I would like. Great finds at the thrift store and used book store! Our used book store never has anything too recent. Enjoy!
              .-= Beth(bookaholicmom)´s last blog ..Mailbox Monday July 19 =-.

• At 2010.07.19 12:20, Laurel-Rain Snow said:

Ooh, these all look delectable. I loved Men and Dogs.

Here’s my MM:

• At 2010.07.19 14:30, vivienne said:

Some fabulous books there. I love the thrift shop find. I love looking around charity shops for books.
                  .-= vivienne´s last blog ..Where did that week go =-.

• At 2010.07.19 14:45, Andi said:

I’m especially keen to get my hands on copies of Lonesome Dove and Olive Kitteridge. Enjoy!
                    .-= Andi´s last blog ..Outspoken Interview- Lucy Knisley- author of French Milk =-.

• At 2010.07.19 18:13, Alita said:

You’ve picked up so many great books over the last little while. I love the cover for The Jewel of St. Petersburg.
                      .-= Alita´s last blog ..Monday Round Up 071910 =-.

• At 2010.07.19 19:09, Jenners said:

That collage is cool. And you’ll love Lonesome Dove I think! I was “forced” to read it ages ago and fell in love. It is one of the books I recommend all the time … and it doesn’t matter if you like Westerns or not. And I so want to read the mortuary book!
                        .-= Jenners´s last blog ..SM5S- Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro =-.

• At 2010.07.19 20:12, kim v said:

I’m looking forward to reading Men and Dogs too. Hope you enjoy it and all your books!

• At 2010.07.19 21:12, Lisa (Book Blab) said:

The Jewel of St. Petersburg is one I would LOVE to read! Great Mailbox today! Happy reading!

• At 2010.07.20 00:48, g said:

ick! that olive kitteridge is a miserable character surrounded by even more miserable characters. good luck. i didn’t make it all the way through the whining. (is that too negative? i never see negative comments here about books. axe this if you want to.)

• At 2010.07.20 09:52, Donna said:

I see at least three in you pile that I’m going to check out – and I especially like the look of The Jewel of St. Petersburg. Enjoy your books!
                              .-= Donna´s last blog ..Tuesday Teasers =-.

• At 2010.07.20 10:26, Serena said:

Nice stack of books…happy reading.
                                .-= Serena´s last blog ..Winners! =-.

• At 2010.07.20 23:32, Damyanti said:

Sounds such a fab idea, this Mailbox thing…I think I will do a weekly post on what books I read and which came into my possession!

Thanks for the inspiration!!

• At 2010.07.21 02:12, Michelle @ The True Book Addict said:

Great mailbox! I’ve been wanting to read The Jewel of St. Petersburg.
                                    .-= Michelle @ The True Book Addict´s last blog ..Mailbox Monday-Its Mondaywhat are you reading =-.

• At 2010.07.21 06:07, Marg said:

Another person who is excited about Jewel of St Petersburg. I have enjoyed all the other books I have read from Kate Furnivall.
                                      .-= Marg´s last blog ..Teaser Tuesday- The Passage by Justin Cronin =-.

• At 2010.07.21 15:12, nat @book, line, and sinker said:

it’s so funny–until i received this book i’d never even heard of kate furnivall! now i’m super excited to get to this one. 🙂

• At 2010.07.27 17:50, Kathleen said:

Enjoy all the books. Looks like you have some good ones to look forward to. I think I have Lonesome Dove on my bookshelf somewhere. I’ve been meaning to read it for the longest time.