Bag Lady

About six weeks ago, I found myself wishing that a designer would mate a cute handbag with a functional camera bag, relieving me of  sherpa duty.  If a horse and donkey can get together and make a mule, surely someone out there could make a camera bag/purse hybrid.

I scoured the internet for this dream bag, deciding it would be the ultimate birthday gift for me.  There were a few options out there, the offerings at Shutter Sisters, being strong contenders.  Then I stumbled upon a more casual, homegrown line over at Etsy.  A patient and saintly woman living in Arkansas owns Gypsy Rose Handbags and designs original handbags to hold SLR cameras, lenses, and everyday essentials.

Literally scores of options and styles...here's a sampling. photo borrowed from snugglens.blogspot.com

After finding Judy’s shop, I immediately dashed off an email, replete with a hand-drawn representation of what I wanted.  Judy worked with me to design the bag of my dreams, helping me to pick fabrics and an appropriate style.  The wait was less than what she told me, despite my addition of a few custom features.

The bag arrived today and I tore into it without delay.  Yes, I know my birthday is still 19 days away, but let’s not get hung up on technicalities.

Behold!  My new camera bag/purse (CURSE???):

But wait!  There’s more!  It holds my camera with a lens, an extra lens, my charger, and extra battery, my wallet, my coupon folder, my eye glasses, my pencil case, my makeup bag, an umbrella, and my i-Phone, all with room to spare!  I have two pockets on the outside under the front flap, four on the inside, plus a zipper compartment, a comfy strap, a reinforced bag body,  snap closures, little metal feet so the bag doesn’t rest on the ground, and the list goes on!

These bags are called Snugglens and you can read all about them on Judy’s website.  I’m so happy with my bag and that I don’t have to carry two bags–or worse, just toss my camera into my purse and hope for the best.  Are you guilty of that little transgression too???

*For the record, I’m endorsing this product because I think it’s great and am not getting any kickbacks or discounts.

• At 2010.06.22 02:38, Lex said:

It looks so efficient! I love everything about it. it look pretty simple and common with the flowers but if you investigate, it’s got so much to offer!
    .-= Lex´s last blog ..Pretty Tape =-.

• At 2010.06.25 10:26, Natalie said:

i’m frothing to use it…but my hubby is making me wait for my birthday. 🙂

• At 2010.06.22 05:55, vivienne said:

What a fabulous bag. It is very nifty and I am very impressed.
      .-= vivienne´s last blog ..Monday Mail and Library Loot =-.

• At 2010.06.22 07:38, Serena said:

I have this same problem! Wow, that bag is gorgeous. I love the fabrics you chose and everything fits with nice cushioning…Now I want one!

Happy Birthday!
        .-= Serena´s last blog ..The Wrong Miracle by Liz Gallagher =-.

• At 2010.06.25 10:27, Natalie said:

there’s also a pocket for my kindle! i’m just a bit excited about this bag!

• At 2010.06.22 07:57, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

I wish I’d had a bag like that at BEA!! I lugged around my purse and camera separately.

• At 2010.06.22 09:35, Meg said:

Amazing — I’m in love! You’re right: there’s a serious need for cute, functional and sturdy bags for us photographers out there. Think I’ll look into these bags… especially for my mom, who has the biggest Canon DSLR you’ve ever seen. (Well, that I’ve ever seen. It gives me a backache just looking at it. Talk about heavy!)

• At 2010.06.22 10:44, Ti said:

If I am on an excursion, then I carry a backpack which holds all of my essentials including my SLR. I love these crafty sites that design bags like this,. I got the neatest Kindle case/bag form a site like that.

Enjoy your bag it’s gorgeous!
              .-= Ti´s last blog ..The Sunday Salon: Beach Day! =-.

• At 2010.06.22 11:30, dw said:

aww. that’s super cute and you could pretty much custom make it. i think i’m going to start handing these out as birthday/christmas gifts. everyone needs a functional camera/purse. thanks for bringing this to my attention 🙂
                .-= dw´s last blog ..Review: Wrong =-.

• At 2010.06.22 15:00, Kerri said:

I saw her bags on Etsy a while back and thought they looked Fab. The green colour is such a good choice with the fabric. Happy early birthday.
                  .-= Kerri´s last blog ..Review: Bud, Sweat and Tees by Alan Shipnuck =-.

• At 2010.06.22 18:31, Kathleen said:

Wow, these are awesome. I love the different designs too. Glad you found something fashionable AND functional!

• At 2010.06.22 22:30, Connie said:

I needed this post two weeks ago LOL. I am awaiting a very pricey, Epiphanie handbag/camera bag. Still excited though! I really like the design of these. Have you seen the custom camera straps that have a pocket for the lens? They are so pretty I want one 🙂 (they are on etsy too)
                      .-= Connie´s last blog ..Calling all Winners! =-.

• At 2010.06.23 05:55, Emily said:

and here it’s a useful piece of fashion advise, your bag looks really cool
                        Functional things are often too ugly
                        .-= Emily´s last blog ..Secret Society Girl (Secret Society Girl 1)by Diana Peterfreund =-.

• At 2010.06.23 19:23, Jenners said:

Wow … your search for the perfect purse has been answered!! I thought it was a myth there was a perfect purse but you’ve seen to have found yours.
                          .-= Jenners´s last blog ..Question of the Week: Recommending Books, Part 1 =-.

• At 2010.06.23 21:01, Lisa said:

That is fantastic and so cool that you got work on a custom design that works exactly the way you want it to. I’m going to have to look into one of those.
                            .-= Lisa´s last blog .."The Poisonwood Bible" =-.

• At 2010.06.24 14:38, Jess - A Book Hoarder said:

What a wonderful bag Nat! I just have a tiny camera I keep in my purse at all times. My husband even wanted to buy me an awesome $1500 camera last year but I said not because I knew I would never lug another bag around when I wanted to use it.

You have just given me a reason to spend too much money on a camera and I love you for that. I also LOVE the green fabric on the inside of your bag.
                              .-= Jess – A Book Hoarder´s last blog ..Oh Little Blog How I Have Missed You!! =-.

• At 2010.06.25 10:38, Dishy said:

WOWWW – FABULOUS BAG!!

Love it Nat! But can’t help but wonder.. does carting all that stuff around give you serious shoulder ache?? I bring the least amt possible. Always. Otherwise, I’m crippled.
                                .-= Dishy´s last blog ..Dress Quest 2010 =-.

• At 2010.06.25 11:11, Natalie said:

i’m telling you, i’m part sherpa. my dad is of russian descent, so i’m made of hearty stock! lol. my bag weighs 5 to 8 pounds…and my sister’s does too! it’s pathetic. we’re going to be hunched up before we’re 40.

• At 2010.06.25 23:29, Rambleicious said:

That bag is a thing of beauty – I wish I had camera equipment I needed to carry so I could justify buying one! 😀

The inside is the perfect colour for NOT losing lens caps too!
                                  .-= Rambleicious´s last blog ..Remind you of anyone’s face? =-.

• At 2010.06.26 06:06, bybee said:

Ooooh, excellent bag! She’s a genius!
                                    .-= bybee´s last blog ..I Believe I Can Fly… =-.

• At 2010.06.26 15:13, Jennifer said:

Wow. Definitely going to be checking these out and hopefully getting one for myself!
                                      .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Review- Enchanted- Inc =-.

• At 2010.07.01 07:05, Beth F said:

OMG! Thanks you. I will likely just ask for Natalie’s bag and then pick out my colors.I am in love with my camera but the whole carrying two bags thing is getting old and it’s *always* when I leave my camera at home that I miss the best photo ops.
                                        .-= Beth F´s last blog ..Review- All Mortal Flesh by Julia Spencer-Fleming =-.