A Sweet Trip

My husband spirited me away for a bit of R&R this week; we couldn’t go far, but we did have a great time!

We’d never been to Hershey, PA even though it’s only about 150 miles from our house.  There’s plenty to see (and eat) in Hershey; we skipped the amusement park and headed right for Chocolate World.  We enjoyed an informative trolley tour of Hershey, watched a simulation of the chocolate-making process, and attended a chocolate tasting.

We also visited Lancaster, PA, home to The Pottery Barn Outlet, where I spent a blissed-out 2 hours filling our car with treasures.  We also spent some time in downtown Lancaster visiting antique shops and a really cool salvage/art warehouse called BUiLDiNG CHARACTER.  I collect globes and old cameras and picked up one of each.  I was a happy girl!

We had an unbelievable breakfast at The Hershey Pantry.  Anthony ordered baked oatmeal with fruit–sublime, and I don’t even like oatmeal!  Take a look…

I’m sure many of you are gearing up for BEA next week.  Sadly, even though I live a stone’s throw away, I won’t be there.  Instead, I’ll be chaperoning a school trip to Niagara Falls.  Wish me luck (and patience).  Have a great weekend and if you’re attending, enjoy NYC and the convention!

• At 2010.05.21 09:53, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

Anything that involves chocolate tasting sounds fun to me! In the long run, chaperoning that school trip will be much more rewarding. When my son was in the 8th grade and it was so much fun!

• At 2010.05.21 10:22, Lisa Munley said:

That’s something I’ve always wanted to do yet even in our many trips to Pennsylvania over the years (hub is from Scranton) we’ve never been. Sounds so fun!

Oh! I collect old cameras too! My collection isn’t huge but I just love the ones I have. In fact I’m looking at a little Brownie from the 50s sitting on my book shelf right now.
      .-= Lisa Munley´s last blog ..Kris Radish, author of Hearts on a String, on tour July/August 2010 =-.

• At 2010.05.21 10:56, Natalie said:

I picked up a Polaroid J33 with the case and all original paperwork. It’s so cute and looks great on the bookcase. 🙂

• At 2010.05.21 10:32, Steph said:

I just love that picture you took! What a happy, happy place!
        .-= Steph´s last blog ..Mushroom & Pea Risotto with Pan-Seared Halibut =-.

• At 2010.05.21 21:17, rhapsodyinbooks said:

Great pictures! I have always wanted to go to Hershey – I went when I was maybe 8, and would love to see it again, but would you believe I can’t talk anyone in my family into going with me? What is wrong with those people?!!!!!!!
          .-= rhapsodyinbooks´s last blog ..Review of “The City and The City” by China Mieville =-.

• At 2010.05.21 21:23, Jenners said:

We’re planning a trip to Hershey later in the summer when we can play in the water park. How can you not love a place that smells like chocolate!
            .-= Jenners´s last blog ..Review: "Waiting for Columbus" by Thomas Trofimuk =-.

• At 2010.05.21 22:04, Sharla said:

Great post! The dessert looks absolutely delicious. Loved Lancaster last time I was there. I didn’t make it out to Hershey though, so now I’m seeing what I missed. Mmmmm….
            .-= Sharla´s last blog ..An Awesome Book — An Awesome Review =-.

• At 2010.05.22 08:49, Natalie said:

lol…that is actually breakfast–it’s oatmeal! it was so delish i can’t even tell you. i didn’t bother with my omelet because i was too busy sneaking bites of hubby’s oatmeal!

• At 2010.05.22 03:45, Lex Cut said:

Oh my! That sounds really sweet and fun! If only I live closer to Hersheys.
              .-= Lex Cut´s last blog .. =-.

• At 2010.05.22 07:31, vivienne said:

Wow – what a great day out you had! I love visiting places like that. Good luck with Niagara next week.
                .-= vivienne´s last blog ..Friday Finds =-.

• At 2010.05.22 20:26, Kathleen said:

Looks like you had a lot of fun. It would be hard for me to not love a place called Chocolate World.

• At 2010.05.23 03:33, bybee said:

I went to Hershey, PA last summer…it was really fun!
                    .-= bybee´s last blog ..Challenge Check =-.

• At 2010.05.23 17:16, Stephanie said:

We went to Hershey last spring for the first time and really enjoyed it. I had the BEST garlic fries and steak at The Hershey Grill (which is located at The Hershey Lodge) but never heard of The Hershey Pantry. I’ll have to check it out the next time we are there!
                      .-= Stephanie´s last blog ..Sunday Salon 05.23.10 =-.

• At 2010.05.24 09:05, Care said:

Have fun at Niagara!
                        .-= Care´s last blog ..Stacks of Books =-.

• At 2010.05.24 09:25, BUiLDiNG CHARACTER said:

Thank you for the kind words! Come back and see us soon!!

• At 2010.05.24 11:13, dw said:

Looks like you had a great time there. That last picture looks so delicious! I’m going to raid the pantry now to see if I can find something sweet to eat.

Enjoy your trip to Niagara Falls!
                            .-= dw´s last blog ..Tooth and Mail (1) =-.

• At 2010.05.24 11:18, Meg said:

Holy crap, that breakfast looks amazing! In fact, I’m a little upset that I just visited your blog because I was starving before, and… honestly? All this deliciousness has done nothing for my mood!

We’ll miss you in New York and at BBC! Hope you have a fabulous time at Niagara Falls, though. Love it there and hope to get back soon!
                              .-= Meg´s last blog ..Where I am =-.

• At 2010.05.24 23:57, Lisa said:

Sounds like a great trip! I went to Hershey when I was a teenager but the only thing I can remember about it is the smell.
                                .-= Lisa´s last blog .."Letter To My Daugher" by George Bishop =-.

• At 2010.05.25 14:53, g said:

i LOVE my g!!!! i always wanted a g!! how did you know, natty??

• At 2010.05.27 18:31, Alita said:

I had oatmeal this morning and let me tell you, it looked nothing like that one! Must remember to put whipped cream on my oatmeal from now on.
                                    .-= Alita´s last blog ..Tour Countdown #3: Sara Bareilles =-.

• At 2010.05.30 13:18, Beth F said:

I have been to Hershey, but not the park — and I live only about 100 miles away. Everyone always has a blast there.
                                      .-= Beth F´s last blog ..BEA 2010: Editor’s Buzz =-.

• At 2010.05.30 17:12, Unapologetically Mundane said:

Best entry in your book blog so far!
                                        .-= Unapologetically Mundane´s last blog ..Clearly, I’m Destined for a Long Career in Erotica-Writing =-.