Catalog Love: Do You Have It?

Pottery Barn, Ballard Designs,  Williams-Sonoma, Crate and Barrel, Land’s End, Hammacher Schlemmer, Frontgate, LL Bean, The Vermont Country Store, The Savannah Country Kitchen.  Those are just a few of the many catalogs that fill my mailbox on monthly basis–and I love them all!

A few catalogs from the past week...

I love flipping through catalogs, cutting out design inspirations, or dog-earring pages featuring new capris or polo shirts.  Just last week, I placed two orders for summer clothes–Land’s End and Old Navy–and got some great deals.  I never seem to have the time to shop and the catalogs (and internet) are a great help.

Pottery Barn is a favorite of mine, but their outrageous prices and delivery surcharges make me want to put a fork in my eye.  Ballard Designs is a similar type of catalog that features better prices and has more reasonable shipping rates.  When I redecorated my living room, several pieces came from Ballard.

A guilty pleasure is the Pottery Barn Teen catalog.  Several of my Christmas gifts last year came straight from the pages of that catalog.  Arrested development maybe?

But my ultimate favorite, the one I wait for each December?  The Neiman Marcus Christmas Book!  If you’ve never leafed through this catalog, please try to get your hands on a copy for 2010 holiday season.  The catalog is a glossy cornucopia of toys and treats priced out of the stratosphere.

Some of the goodies you could buy (if you have the dough)?  The Fantasy Gifts for 2009 included:

Algonquin Round Table Experience ($200,000.00) An exclusive dinner party at the Algonquin with Christopher Buckley, Roz Chast, Delia Ephron, Nora Ephron, and other literarti.

Cupcake Car ($25,000.00) Have a blast in your Cupcake Car (with matching hat)!

Yes, please!

A His and Hers ICON A5 Aircraft and Pilot Lessons ($250,000.00) I mean who doesn’t dream of a flying car and pilot lessons?

And there you have my love of catalogs.  Are there any that you fancy?  Remember, if you’re feeling overrun by catalogs, you can always opt out by visiting Catalog Choice.

• At 2010.05.11 01:33, rhapsodyinbooks said:

I totally love catalogs. I get very happy every year before Christmas when they start coming. I love the cupcake car – wish I could get a pair to put in our driveway! :–)
    .-= rhapsodyinbooks´s last blog ..Review of “The Pure in Heart” by Susan Hill =-.

• At 2010.05.11 06:28, vivienne said:

Cupcake car! I want one. I used to get so many catalogues before the children came along and ate up all my money.
      .-= vivienne´s last blog ..Monday Mailbox – last for a while I promise! =-.

• At 2010.05.11 08:45, Jen-Girls Gone Reading said:

Who doesn’t want a cupcake car?!?!?!
        I love catalogs too…Thanks for making my personal “problem” seem normal, and exciting!

• At 2010.05.11 09:52, Meg said:

Oh, the photo shoots I could have in and around my very own cupcake car — pink, of course!

I love catalogs, too, but I get in trouble with them — mostly because it’s impossible not to want to whip out the credit card and buy everything in them. Not to get all capitalism, society mumbo jumbo and weird, but, for me, looking through catalogs inspires an epic mood of “WANT!” in me (their intent, I’m sure), so I try to avoid spending too much time with them so I don’t start obsessing over things I can’t afford.

Until I hit the lotto or get a multi-million-dollar book deal. Or something. And then? Come over, we’ll have some tea — and you and I will pour through catalogs until the wee hours of the morning, then ORDER everything!!

• At 2010.05.11 10:13, softdrink said:

I’d pay good money to see a picture of Jill driving around in a cupcake car! Or you!
            .-= softdrink´s last blog ..New York Sawed in Half =-.

• At 2010.05.11 10:29, Beth Hoffman said:

Oh my gosh, I want a cupcake car too! And the giant peppermint hat is a must have. LOL!

• At 2010.05.11 11:11, Kerri said:

I wonder what kind of gas mileage you’d get out of the cupcake car?
                .-= Kerri´s last blog ..ARC Review: City of Veils by Zoe Ferraris =-.

• At 2010.05.11 15:28, Kathleen said:

I love catalogs but find them so dangerous to my household budget! The Neiman Marcus Christmas book is a great one!
                  .-= Kathleen´s last blog ..WINNER of Storm Prey and Shadow Prey =-.

• At 2010.05.11 19:50, Jenners said:

Holy Snikeys … those fantasy items are OUT THERE!

And a little game I play with the Pottery Barn category is to guess how much it is … and 9 times out of 10, it is at least $300 more than I would estimate!
                    .-= Jenners´s last blog ..Question of the Week: Acquiring Books =-.

• At 2010.05.11 20:02, Karen @ Planet Books said:

We love catalogs too! I received that Ballard Designs one. Some other regular visitors are Pottery Barn, Williams~Sonoma, Sur la Table, Home Decorators, and Nordstrom. The list of magazine subscriptions is a long one in our home too. Everything from Food & Wine, Everday Food, Travel & Leisure, House Beautiful, Entertainment Weekly and about five or six others.
                      .-= Karen @ Planet Books´s last blog ..30 Days & Counting! =-.

• At 2010.05.12 10:22, Ti said:

I have really cut down on my catalog subscriptions but because of you I had to order the Ballard Design catty. I love Pottery Barn but I’m with you on the cost! I would love to get The Christmas Book but I won’t pay for a catalog. That’s where I draw the line.
                        .-= Ti´s last blog ..Wuthering Heights Wednesday: May 12, 2010 – Week 6 =-.

• At 2010.05.12 11:52, bybee said:

I miss getting catalogs…going to their websites isn’t the same!
                          .-= bybee´s last blog ..Library Loot: I Can See Clearly Now =-.

• At 2010.05.12 18:18, Alita said:

Ahaha I want a cupcake car!

I’ve never been one for catalogues, except for at Christmas. As a kid, my siblings and I would always look forward to the annual Sears Wishlist catalogue, and would then spend hours flipping through with our own wish lists in hand.
                            .-= Alita´s last blog ..Tour Countdown #1: Sarah McLachlan =-.

• At 2010.05.12 21:31, nat @book, line, and sinker said:

lol…i devoted an entire blog post to the sears wishbook. i sister and i poured over it like it was a sacred text. 🙂

• At 2010.05.16 07:43, Beth F said:

LOL! I LOVE the The Neiman Marcus Christmas Book. So much fun to look at the totally outrageous gifts. Too funny.

I love catalogs, even with the Internet, I still like flipping though the pages and dreaming of all the stuff I don’t need and probably don’t really want.
                              .-= Beth F´s last blog ..Digital Discovers; or What’s in the Virtual TBR Pile =-.

• At 2010.05.17 08:45, Dishy said:

I would pay to see someone drive that cupcake car through my old neighborhood.
                                .-= Dishy´s last blog ..Field trip to Augusta. =-.