Return to Sender: My Love of Snail Mail

Recently, my sister and I caught an episode of Wheel of Fortune on television.  I’m more of a Jeopardy! girl myself, but my sister loves ‘the letters’ game so I settled in.  One of the puzzles fell under the category Event and had tons of tiles.

By the time the player figured out the puzzle, it looked roughly like this:

Please forgive my ignorance, but when exactly did ‘receiving a hand-written letter’ become an Event?  An event, to me, is something a bit more significant than finding a letter in my mailbox.

Don’t misconstrue my position on letters, though.  I love to write and receive letters and cards and try to send them to friends and family regularly.  Admittedly, I don’t receive as many letters as I used to but usually get a card or two a week.  I just wouldn’t compare getting a letter to getting a promotion or a Silver Anniversary.

Email is convenient, cheap, and speedy, but I really love the ritual of writing letters.  I’m a bit of a stationery hound too, so that adds to my enjoyment.

As a kid, I was a freak for pen pals.  I’d buy teen magazines not for the articles but for the pen pal blurbs in the back.  I’d pick a few ads that sounded promising, dash off introductory letters to potential friends, and then await replies.  I developed a few long-term pen pal relationships (a year or more) through the magazines, including one girl from Grand Junction, CO.

So, am I old-school with my love of mailing and receiving letters?  Are your days of posting letters or cards to friends and family over?   Is receiving a letter by mail an event worthy of its own puzzle on Wheel of Fortune?

• At 2010.04.26 06:47, Lex Cut said:

An event is a happening of special importance. So I think, writing a handwritten letter is an event. It’s as special as any event with celebrations.
    .-= Lex Cut´s last blog ..Mesmerizing =-.

• At 2010.04.26 08:02, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

I don’t receive many hand written letters these days, but then I don’t send many either. To be honest, I generally just call old friends on the phone. So, for me, getting a hand-written letter is an event.

• At 2010.04.26 11:10, Kerri said:

I’d agree – perhaps an event is stretching it – but I typically do a bit of a dance around my house when I get a hand written letter or note – now that is an event!
        .-= Kerri´s last blog ..Review: The Weed that Strings the Hangman’s Bag by Alan Bradley =-.

• At 2010.04.26 11:29, nat @book, line, and sinker said:

no, i agree, getting a letter is exciting–i also do the happy dance, but thought it’s a sad reflection on our society when receiving a hand-written letter is puzzle-worthy! lol 🙂

• At 2010.04.26 13:30, Kathleen said:

It is sad that receiving a hand written letter is considered an “event” but it does seem to be a rarity these days. I still enjoy writing and receiving a hand written card or note. No matter how much email I send and receive it is still a thrill to get something by post. Maybe I am showing my age?
          .-= Kathleen´s last blog ..A Reading Week in Review =-.

• At 2010.04.26 14:29, Meg said:

I’m still all about the snail mail, too! My grandmother and I regularly write to each other — long, rambly letters about what’s happening in our lives — despite the fact that we see each other about once a week and live only fifteen minutes apart. There’s a special magic to a handwritten letter, and I hardly think it’s an “event”! Though increasingly rare, I guess. Hmm.

• At 2010.04.26 19:46, Jenners said:

One of my “goals” for 2010 was to write a handwritten letter to people in my life. So far I’ve actually written two. I have yet to receive one back. I would say it qualifies as a “rare” event in my life. But you have to give to receive I guess. When my grandmother was alive, I got letters from her … that was her preferred mode of conversation.
              .-= Jenners´s last blog ..Show Me 5 Saturday: "Julie & Julia" by Julie Powell =-.

• At 2010.04.27 04:03, Connie said:

seems as though lots of people keep in touch via email, facebook…it feels like an event when something besides junk mail and bills come in the mailbox 🙂 I love letters and cards….sending and receiving.
                .-= Connie´s last blog ..Well I thought it was Wordless Wednesday!!! =-.

• At 2010.04.27 10:58, Dishy said:

I love getting letters too. Please write to me soon Natalie darling.

Your pen pal addiction made me laugh. I was the same exact way. Coolest story. An old pen pal just looked me up via FB. Haven’t written since we were kids, now we’re friends again. And the funniest thing. She’s a roller girl!

xoxoxo
                  .-= Dishy´s last blog ..Oh, Bag Balm! =-.

• At 2010.04.27 12:39, Kari said:

I’ve read a lot about this on blogs lately; everyone seems to have been inspired about handwritten letters around the same time, and I include myself in that (I just haven’t blogged about it!). My mom has sent me handwritten letters for years, and I just decided to write back—usually I just call her. I’m trying to get it started, but it’s not as fun if you have to remind your friends to write you back!
                    .-= Kari´s last blog ..It’s a Party, I’ll read about the world if I want to! =-.

• At 2010.04.27 14:26, Kristen said:

I love handwritten letters although I have been spectacularly bad about writing them myself lately. I too had scads of pen-pals while growing up (still write to one woman who I “met” in Japan but who ultimately married a Welshman and now lives in Wales). I check Facebook every now and again for my very first pen pal ever too but no luck with that.
                      .-= Kristen´s last blog ..Review: A Rather Lovely Inheritance by C.A. Belmond =-.

• At 2010.04.27 16:16, Lahni said:

You’ve said that you don’t watch Wheel Of Fortune that often and I think this is where the problem is! The events puzzles can range from the mundane like “Walking the dog” or quite major like “preparing a five course meal.” That being said, it is pretty exciting to get a hand-written letter in the mail!
                        .-= Lahni´s last blog ..DNF: She-Rain by Michael Cogdill =-.

• At 2010.04.28 19:26, Care said:

I love love love to get ‘fun’ mail! and the way most people trudge to their mailboxes or don’t at all knowing that all they get is bills = is SO sad. My neighbors all laugh at me because I always run to the box when I see the mail truck. But that’s because I often get good stuff! I send a lot, too. LOVE cards, stationery, paper, silly letters… love. YES = an event.

• At 2010.04.29 15:13, Alita said:

I can’t even remember the last time I sent or received a hand-written letter, and that saddens me. Oh wait, I sent one to my sister last year when she was studying overseas. Hm. I now have the urge to write letters to everyone I know! At this point, I would most definitely consider receiving one a special event, worthy of it’s own puzzle 🙂
                            .-= Alita´s last blog ..The Secret Shopper’s Revenge by Kate Harrison (final thoughts) =-.

• At 2010.04.30 10:07, sammy25 said:

I literally had this exact conversation about letters last night with a good friend. I don’t know if I would necessarily consider getting a letter an event, but we are a generation that has lost the beauty of writing letters and enjoying snail mail (compared to past generations). I guess one could make the argument that since we don’t send or receive letters like they did in the past it could be a bit of an event. You open your mailbox there is a letter. A letter someone has taken the time to sit down and write, address and stamp, go to the post office and let it work it’s way though the postal system until it gets your fingers…this could be considered an event. Anyhoo! I love writing cards and letters (I’m single-handedly keep Hallmark in business). p.s. Jeopardy rocks my socks
                              .-= sammy25´s last blog ..Love It! =-.