Decorating With Books

I eat, sleep, and dream books so it’s only fitting that I write a book blog.  I derive so much pleasure, comfort, and entertainment from books that I started using them as decorative accents to ‘cozy up’ my home.  Books play a large role in my professional and personal life and it’s nice that my home reflects my (and my husband’s) taste.

Now don’t go thinking that I’m all artistic about it–no, no, I just pile up coffee table books on shelves, tables, and benches, and call it a day.

I love when people come over to visit and pull books off the tables and shelves to flip through them.  Nothing makes me happier than sharing books.  Well, Cherry Garcia ice cream comes in a close second.

Hmmm…there seems to be a pattern here.  Pile of books, over-sized object perched on top.  Perhaps I should consult some design websites for inspiration.

There I go again stacking things on my book piles.  Is there a 12-step program for people like me?

Hello, my name is Natalie and I’m addicted to decorating with books (and over-sized objects)…

Enjoy the weekend, gang!  See you back here on Monday morning.

• At 2010.04.16 03:34, bybee said:

Sigh. Brilliant. Genius. I love your stacks and the objects on top as well.
    .-= bybee´s last blog ..National Poetry Month: Casey At The Bat =-.

• At 2010.04.16 05:32, vivienne said:

Your stacks look just like the ones in the design mags. It is official, you have style!
      .-= vivienne´s last blog ..Wuthering Wednesday =-.

• At 2010.04.16 07:51, Beth F said:

There are no horizontal surfaces in this house that do not contain stacks of books. But my stacks are dustier than yours.
        .-= Beth F´s last blog ..Review: The Postmistress by Sarah Blake =-.

• At 2010.04.16 08:38, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

Books make beautiful decorations!

• At 2010.04.16 09:32, Ti said:

I’m actually thinking about framing some of my Persephone books. I love them that much.

So in a word or two or three, I get it 😉
            .-= Ti´s last blog ..Wuthering Heights Wednesday: April 14, 2010 – Week 2 =-.

• At 2010.04.16 11:48, nat @book, line, and sinker said:

that’s great idea. i took some pictures of pages of my favorite books using my macro lens and want to blow them up and frame. i’ll let you know how it goes and i hope you frame up your books!

• At 2010.04.16 10:29, Kerri said:

Decorating with books never goes out of style – but let’s talk for a minute about those red door pulls I see in the last picture – how fabulous.
              .-= Kerri´s last blog ..Review: The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson =-.

• At 2010.04.16 11:45, nat @book, line, and sinker said:

i lurve those pulls–they go with my beachy decor (we live a stone throw’s from the beach!). the wall unit is actually 3 separate pieces that we put together and then i changed the knobs. they are faux coral and i bought them at anthropologie! 🙂 i love that store…so much inspiration.

• At 2010.04.16 10:38, Steph said:

Due to our lack of sufficient bookshelves, I have also decorated our apartment with stacks of books! But ours are just on the floor, and not nearly as thoughtful and artful as yours! 😉
                .-= Steph´s last blog ..“Wise Children” by Angela Carter =-.

• At 2010.04.16 10:44, Dishy said:

My book stacks just have dust on top. They’re pretty big piles of dust. That counts too, right?
                  .-= Dishy´s last blog ..Oh, Bag Balm! =-.

• At 2010.04.16 16:32, Alyce said:

That is just too funny! They are absolutely beautiful stacks though. 🙂
                  .-= Alyce´s last blog ..What about Self-Published Books? =-.

• At 2010.04.17 03:06, Michelle @ The True Book Addict said:

I do the same thing! I think it looks great…what better decorative accessory than books! 🙂
                    .-= Michelle @ The True Book Addict´s last blog ..Cat Thursday =-.

• At 2010.04.18 11:07, Karen @ Planet Books said:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cabinet in the last pic and all the items on the shelves! I’m especially taken with the red knobs on the doors. You are quite the decorator!
                      .-= Karen @ Planet Books´s last blog ..A Bookish Double Date (triple if you count Garth Stein!) =-.

• At 2010.04.18 11:13, Lisa said:

It looks great! The only reason I keep so many coffee table books is for display purposes. I also use a lot of old books because we have a lot of antiques.
                        .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Mama Shepp’s Family Recommends… =-.

• At 2010.04.19 19:00, Michelle said: