Are You Nutty for Netflix?

Remember the old television commerical that asked, “Are you cuckoo for Coco Puffs?”  I would have answered in the affirmative if my mom would have bought that sugary cereal instead of stocking our pantry with such wholesome choices as Corn Flakes, Raisin Bran, and Rice Krispies–none of which featured sugar as a key ingredient.

So, I can’t say I’m cuckoo for Coco Puffs, but as of last Monday I can shout from the rooftops that I’m nutty for Netflix!  My husband and I got so tired of waiting whole months on the waiting list for movies and television shows at our library that I broke down and shelled out the $8.99 a month to join the online movie service.

I’ll be honest that there was some trepidation on my part, no doubt stemming from my youthful folly with the music mafia companies of Columbia Music Club and BMG.  You do remember those clubs, don’t you?  Surely I wasn’t the only fool who believed the 99-cents-for-20-cds hype, right?  Imagine my chagrin at a $35 shipping and handling charge after I received my initial delivery.

For now, Anthony and I are still in the honeymoon stage with Netflix.  We watched Precious last night and he has watched a host of movies online.  I managed to sneak in Lost in Austen one night when I should have been blogging.  Our queue is chock full of films that we look forward to watching and the Play Online option is also convenient!

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to scour the internet for a books-by-mail club to join.  I have hazy recollections of my mom belonging to such a thing back in the 70s.

• At 2010.03.24 10:38, bermudaonion (Kathy) said:

We tried Netflix for a little while, but always felt like we HAD to watch the movie the day it came, so we dropped it.

• At 2010.03.24 15:29, nat @book, line, and sinker said:

kathy,
      i’m not so worried about that because we can watch movies online at any time which we both love to do. also, we can watch a bunch of tv shows and history channel specials! yay.

• At 2010.03.24 14:34, softdrink said:

I only stayed with Netflix for a month or two…we just don’t watch that many movies.

But on the subject of sugary cereals…my mom always bought Cheerios. But when I visited my grandma, she’d take me to the grocery store and let me pick out whatever cereal I wanted. I was always torn between Froot Loops and Lucky Charms. The marshmallows usually won.
      .-= softdrink´s last blog ..Don’t barf and drive =-.

• At 2010.03.24 16:04, Kay said:

We have been members of Netflix for several years now. We’ve watched many, many British crime shows in their entirety through Netflix. And a lot of other stuff too. We like it a lot, but we adjust how many we have at any one time based on the season of the year. More in summer, with nothing on TV, less in winter when our regular shows are on. We like it a lot. I do understand though that it is not for everyone’s taste. It’s a lot different than Columbia House or those Book of the Month clubs though. And I do remember them! 🙂
        .-= Kay´s last blog ..Bookish Nostalgia #4 – Phyllis Whitney’s YA Mysteries =-.

• At 2010.03.24 18:26, Jess - A Book Hoarder said:

I would love to say I love Netflix but I was actually disappointed. We recently purchased a blu-ray player that has Netflix streaming and I was so excited to get my membership and have all kinds of movies at my fingertips but the selection they have available to watch online or stream was not even close to what I was expecting.

My husband was more disappointed than I was and would have canceled if it wasn’t for me. I can still appreciate the dvds appearing in my mailbox…plus they stream The Tudors so it wasn’t all bad once I got over my initial disappointment.

I’m glad you guys can enjoy it.

P.S. My mom always had wheat chex so I would add sugar(which somehow I got away with because my mom did it too) and not use milk so when I got to the bottom of the cereal I would have a pile of delicious sugar…yick!

• At 2010.03.28 11:41, Natalie said:

jess,
            lol…my sister and i made our own frosted flakes (corn flakes + 1 cup of sugar)! it would have been healthier for us (and our teeth) if our mom would have just broken down and bought the frosted flakes. i still remember the grainy, undissolved sugar at the bottom of my bowl. heheh.

as for netflix, the reason i really love it is the streaming stuff online. i could barely be bothered with the dvds by mail–that’s more of my husband’s thing.

• At 2010.03.24 18:48, Ti said:

I have to tell you, my main reason for joining Netflix is that my family has good intentions of having a family movie night, but the movie often gets pushed to the side to make room for other events. I cannot tell you how many times I had to pay a late fee with Blockbuster. Netflix is so much better.

PLUS, my daughter likes cheesy Barbie movies which I HATE buying but I’ll rent em, and keep them for a month and then send them back.

The other plus is their customer service. Awesome. Never send a movie back right after a three day weekend. For some reason, the movies always get lost when I do that, but each time (happened twice), they immediately noted it on my account and sent the next item in my queue. No questions asked.
            .-= Ti´s last blog ..Review & Book Tour: If You Follow Me =-.

• At 2010.03.24 19:43, Trisha said:

I am two months in to my beautiful relationship with Netflix. I adore it. I have discovered British Science Fiction Television, and I am currently wallowing in it through Netflix. I too was worried at first due to – how similar are we? – Columbia House!
              .-= Trisha´s last blog ..Beautiful Blogger =-.

• At 2010.03.24 19:53, Jenners said:

Seriously. .. I just read in the latest issue of Real Simple that there is a Netflix for books ..I’m going to write about it in an upcoming post once I have a chance to check it out. Here is the site: http://www.bookswim.com
                .-= Jenners´s last blog ..Question of the Week: Fantasizing About Book Characters =-.

• At 2010.03.25 09:15, Hayden Tompkins said:

My muffin’s family LURVES them some Netflix. And we considered it but have been holding out. Is it really as awesome as it seems??

• At 2010.03.28 11:37, Natalie said:

hayden,
                    i love netflix not for the movies that come in the mail but for the movies i can watch on my laptop. seriously, it’s well worth the $8.99 a month–ant and i sometimes watch two different movies or documentaries in different rooms simultaneously! there’s no rule about how many movies/shows you can watch online. last night i watched ‘september issue’ (a documentary on vogue and anna wintour) while ant was watching ‘deliver us from evil’ (a documentary on sexual abuse cover up in church).

so, in a nutshell, netflix is great and…you can cancel anytime. ahahah.

• At 2010.03.25 10:41, sammy25 said:

Hey gurl hey! I’m so glad we are now Netflix friends!!!!!!!!! Last month I did the 2 week trial and I’ve been hooked on it since….I can’t stop and my queu is overfilled. I’m going through a documentary phase at the moment…Totally check out The Garden…it is about an Urban Garden in L.A. I think you would appreciate it! P.S. I’ve missed you….ppss Have a splendid day!
                    .-= sammy25´s last blog ..And on Wednesdays We Wear Pink! =-.

• At 2010.03.28 11:39, Natalie said:

sammy,

i’ve been such a terrible blogger and blog friend…but there are extenuating circumstances, i swear! i’m so happy you’re also a fan of the ‘flix–great, isn’t it? the online watching makes me really happy. i’ll swing by soon. hope all is well in erie.
                      xox

• At 2010.03.28 20:49, Jennifer said:

I’m definitely still in love with my Netflix account. Although it can be quite habit forming and for the months when I don’t have the time to watch a ton of movies I can feel a little ripped off. But all in all, I feel like it’s pretty worthwhile.

• At 2010.03.29 16:56, Care said:

I have been a Netflixer for many years and LOVE IT. SO convenient – and customer service is excellent. I try to give myself a limit that if I don’t watch a movie after 6 weeks, I send it back and get something new. I’ve only just started watching the online ones and the hub keeps telling me it will be no big deal to hook up the viewing to the big screen but have yet to do it.
                        I have about 300 movies in my queue – it’s ridiculous. 🙂 and I haven’t even started getting into TV series collections. And since I don’t have HBO, Netflix is the only way to get those easily, imo (I could be wrong abt that but it works for me)
                        .-= Care´s last blog ..Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont =-.

• At 2010.03.29 23:02, Christy said:

I’ve been a Netflix user for over three years. They do have good customer service. When I first started out I had the compulsion to watch the movie right away so that I could return it and get a new one and really get the most bang out my buck. But I’m more relaxed about it now and I still think I’m getting my money’s worth. I like all the selection of foreign films and tv shows.
                          .-= Christy´s last blog ..Skinwalker by Faith Hunter =-.

• At 2010.03.31 14:09, Dishy said:

Too funny. We re-joined netflix 3 days ago!
                            .-= Dishy´s last blog ..C’mon baby light my fire. =-.

• At 2010.03.31 23:15, Ali said:

We resisted Netflix for years because we could get so many videos from our library for free. But, my sister got us a year of Netflix for Christmas and we’ve been loving it!
                              .-= Ali´s last blog ..Savor, Mindful Eating, Mindful Life–Thich Nhat Hanh and Lillian Cheung =-.

• At 2010.04.03 17:44, Whitney said:

I’ve been a Netflix member for several years and love it. We can get so many obscure/classic/foreign films that we can’t where I live. It’s the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Thanks for visiting my blog, yours is lovely!
                                .-= Whitney´s last blog ..Book Blogger Hop =-.

• At 2010.04.07 23:42, Kathleen said:

I’ve been a Netflix member for years. I’m sure I must have been one of the first they signed up. I am definitely nutty for Netflix too!
                                  .-= Kathleen´s last blog ..I’m Going on Tour with John Sandford =-.

• At 2010.04.08 12:03, Unapologetically Mundane said:

Kam and I have been Netflixing for probably a year now, but the same thing happened to us that happens to everyone else–the dreaded keeping-the-same-movie-for-months. We have Synecdoche New York, and we’re totally interested in seeing it, but we also have a DVR to keep up with and law school papers and nice dinners . . . and it always ends up last on our list.

I have one friend who’s had The Diving Bell and the Butterfly for over a year! And it’s a great movie that she should’ve watched within days!

Don’t let it happen to you.
                                    .-= Unapologetically Mundane´s last blog ..5 Ways My Kindle Surprised Me =-.

• At 2010.04.08 17:02, Natalie said:

I’m telling you, this online viewing is highly addictive! I’m not into watching the dvds that come in the mail but am in love with the live stream tv shows and movies.