Beyond Book Blogs: Favorite Websites

I sometimes get so wrapped up in the scores of book blogs on my reader that it’s easy to forget there’s anything else to do on the internet.  But then all of my favorite non-book blog blogs and sites come flooding back into my brain and I get that warm, happy feeling.

For your reading pleasure, I’ve decided to share some fun non-book blogs and sites that I frequent.  I’d also love to hear about your favorites that I may be missing–perish the thought!  It’s almost the weekend and I know you’re looking for a way to kill time.  Maybe you can even sneak a peek during lunch break–hey, it’s Friday and your boss is probably reading this post too!

In no particular order, here are a few of my favorite haunts–with links and descriptions.  I tried to include photos to make it more visually appealing but things didn’t go according to plan.

cake wrecks

A tribute to bakery and cake disasters through images.  Fun and funny!

post secret

Updated each Sunday, Post Secret is a bit of a voyeuristic, guilty pleasure.  People anonymously submit secrets on one side of post card and the curator of the project, Frank, uploads them for all to see.

not martha

Megan, not Martha, lives in Seattle and posts great links and creates even  better stuff.  A basket woven from bacon, mini-gingerbread houses that perch on the rim of your coffee cup, and more.  I love her site and am not alone–it was voted one of the Coolest Websites by Time in 2006.

whatever

A blog written by a mommy from the Midwest (I don’t really read mommy blogs but this one is so much more) who has an unbelievable eye for color and even better historic home.  She bakes, takes great photos, crafts, has 5 kids and a dog, and has a kitchen that I covet.  The only caveat for me is that she’s very religious and sometimes uses her blog and sidebar to talk about it.  I overlook this and instead drool over her 7-layer rainbow cake.  (Search for it–it’s great!)

etsy

I can’t resist trolling the pages and pages of handmade and vintage stuff on etsy–and I even buy stuff too!  My blogging buddy Meg (of Write Meg! fame) has her own shop selling handmade scarves.   It’s cold outside and you should buy one to keep warm.

design*sponge

A great site with creative ideas and home makeovers.  I love to get inspiration here for projects that I never seem to have the time to tackle.

old houses.com

I could while away an entire afternoon with dreams of relocating to my Second Empire manse in Iowa or Nebraska.  If you love historic homes, go here now.  Find old homes by price, location, or style!

smitten kitchen

Deb is a New Yorker with a tiny kitchen but has a huge repertoire of recipes.  Join her as she cooks up one delicious dish after another–photos and recipes included.  To date, I’ve actually made two of her recipes.  Yum!

bakerella

I’m drawn to foodie blogs, what can I say?  I love to drool over desserts, meals, and obscene food photography!  Come see the sweet treats and inspiration.

Okay, it’s your turn.  Tell me about your favorite non-bookish sites.  If you include more than 2 links in your comment it may not post immediately but I’ll approve it.  Have at it!

• At 2010.01.15 10:56, Meg said:

What a fun post, Nat! I’m off to visit, um, all of these — and I think I know just the seven-layer rainbow cake you’re mentioning! It’s infamously awesome! Thanks so much for the shout-out, too — my eyes bugged out of my head, haha. I’ve been on Etsy most of the morning. As usual. 🙂
    .-= Meg´s last blog ..Etsy find Fridays: Tie it with a bow =-.

• At 2010.01.15 11:00, Meg said:

P.S. Those mini-gingerbread houses featured on not martha are just about the coolest thing I have ever seen. I’ve been sitting here starting at them for several minutes. I think I’m in love!
      .-= Meg´s last blog ..Etsy find Fridays: Tie it with a bow =-.

• At 2010.01.15 12:41, Lydia Hirt said:

Thanks for sharing, Nat. I’ve since rewritten my grocery list after having visited your suggested food sites. The tiny kitchen written about in smitten kitten is still larger than my NYC kitchen “nook” – but you successfully made me motivated to try to cook this weekend instead of just read!
        .-= Lydia Hirt´s last blog ..Author/Celebrity =-.

• At 2010.01.15 13:54, vivienne said:

More blogs for me to frequent. I love foodie and craft ones as they keep me so busy.
          .-= vivienne´s last blog ..Young Adult Friday Finds =-.

• At 2010.01.15 14:50, Lenore said:

Cake Wrecks is so much fun!
            .-= Lenore´s last blog ..Book Reviews and Guest Post: Dream Girl and Dream Life by Lauren Mechling =-.

• At 2010.01.15 15:01, Kathy R (Bermudaonion) said:

I love Cake Wrecks – it never fails to make me laugh.
              .-= Kathy R (Bermudaonion)´s last blog ..Current Giveaways! =-.

• At 2010.01.15 17:40, Ti said:

The Pioneer Woman is pretty well known now because of her cookbook but I love her blog too.

Also, Passive Aggressive Notes is pretty entertaining.
                .-= Ti´s last blog ..Friday Finds: Impatient with Desire =-.

• At 2010.01.17 12:10, nat @book, line, and sinker said:

oh, how could i forget passive aggressive notes!?!? lol, that site cracks me up!

i was into the pioneer woman a few years ago but kinda fell out of it…but not before making her apple pie, which was yummy.

• At 2010.01.15 19:49, Lisa said:

I love Cake Wrecks!
                  .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Friday Favorite – The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh =-.

• At 2010.01.15 21:23, Jess - A Book Hoarder said:

These are great sites. I love PostSecret and used to visit it religiously but all the other sites are new to me. I don’t know which was my favorite. I think I spent the most time on not martha and whatever…oh and design sponge…and smitten kitten. Awww hell they are all amazing.

But I have to say I was peeing my pants when I was reading cake wrecks. The baby shower cakes are AMAZING!!! I have decided that when I get knocked up and have a baby shower I SO want sperm on my cake!! But only because I assume I will not be using the sperm donor cake. That one was my favorite.

These were fantastic, thanks for sharing.
                    .-= Jess – A Book Hoarder´s last blog ..2010 100+ Reading Challenge =-.

• At 2010.01.15 22:16, Stephanie said:

Great post! I’ve never heard of Whatever, but have added the blog to my blogroll. Thanks!
                      .-= Stephanie´s last blog ..The Deception of the Emerald Ring =-.

• At 2010.01.16 01:34, Kerri said:

Love Etsy!!
                        .-= Kerri´s last blog ..A Toonie: Run for your Life and Worst Case by James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge =-.

• At 2010.01.16 16:03, veronica said:

These are some great sites. I love “cake wrecks”, and being from Seattle I’m going to have to check out “not martha.” Since you’re into foodie blogs, you might want to check out thepioneerwoman.com. She has a great cooking section. And in a confession I may regret, whenever I need something (read: someone) to laugh at I turn to peopleofwalmart.com. A little crude, yes, but good for a laugh.
                          .-= veronica´s last blog ..It’s Tuesday, where are you? =-.

• At 2010.01.16 17:53, Hayden Tompkins said:

I was gonna SAY…a mommy blog? But it looks pretty sweet. 🙂

P.S. You know I am all about the Post Secret.
                            .-= Hayden Tompkins´s last blog ..Sex and Submission =-.

• At 2010.01.18 16:11, Connie said:

thanks for a few new links!
                              .-= Connie´s last blog ..Change of Perspective =-.

• At 2010.01.18 22:09, Jenners said:

Cake Wrecks is funny, isn’t it? I cannot go by a bakery case without looking for something for it. Some day!!!

And Post-Secret is such a fun voyeuristic experience. I got a few of the books to read … I love the artwork that people send it.
                                .-= Jenners´s last blog ..A Review (Of Sorts) of Lamb by Christopher Moore =-.

• At 2010.01.20 14:43, Holley said:

Sleep Talkin’ Man
                                  A woman sets up a voice activated recorder next to her husband and blogs the results. Badgertastic!

Lovely Listing
                                  Photos from real estate listings. Sound dull? It’s not!

• At 2010.01.20 15:13, Kari said:

Oh I love design sponge! I also like whipup.net.

I get through my day with:
                                    thesuperficial.com
                                    gawker.com
                                    gothamist.com
                                    randomnyc.tumblr.com
                                    stfumarrieds.tumblr.com

• At 2010.01.21 00:03, Dishy said:

What? No crazy Maine-uhs getting your vote anymore?

Sheesh..

• At 2010.01.22 18:19, Kristen said:

For mommy blogs, I find The Redneck Mommy hilarious. I have tried recipes off of 1family. freindly.food and have been impressed. And my friend Britt Arnhild has a lovely blog that is soothing, just when I need something like that.
                                      .-= Kristen´s last blog ..Short takes =-.

• At 2010.01.25 09:25, Sarah @ Mum In Bloom said:

If you love to laugh and read great writing visit http://cleanerplateclub.wordpress.com/

My favourite Foodie site which also happens to be hilarious is

BTW This is my first time visiting your site – love it!
                                        .-= Sarah @ Mum In Bloom´s last blog ..Martha Mondays: Maple Granola =-.

• At 2010.01.28 20:37, g said:

how about this one nat? thought you could relate: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling