Coming Soon To a Theater Near You

I love lists.  Ask anyone who knows me and they’ll attest to my obsession with making lists.  Grocery lists, books to read lists, places to travel to lists, chores for my husband, and on, and on!  I thought an auspicious start to 2010 here at Book, Line, and Sinker would be a list.

Adapting books to movies is never an easy thing for screenwriters and directors to do.  Condensing a book into a movie while meeting the expectations of the fans is a Herculean task but that doesn’t stops Hollywood from trying.  Below are a few of the many book-to-movies coming our way in 2010.

This list comes to your courtesy of Tate Reviews on Amazon.com and I vetted the titles below for release-date accuracy.  Anything you’re interested in seeing?  I don’t know about you, but I’m all over Beezus and Ramona!

• Dear John by Nicholas Sparks 2/5
  • Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll 3/5
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney (live action) 4/2
  • Sex and the City 2 (based on Candace Bushnell’s novel) 5/28
  • Eclipse: The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer 6/30
  • Beezus and Ramona by Beverly Cleary 8/13
  • Eat, Pray, Love… by Elizabeth Gilbert 2010, maybe August?
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling 2010, maybe November
  • Gulliver’s Travels by Jonathan Swift 12/22

• At 2010.01.03 16:31, Chrisbookarama said:

I didn’t know there is going to be a Ramona movie. I’m excited about that one now!
    .-= Chrisbookarama´s last blog ..Non-Book Challenge: 100 Mile Fitness Challenge =-.

• At 2010.01.03 16:44, vivienne said:

Is Eclipse really being released that early. They don’t normally come out to Christmas time over here, though I am sure America and England released it on the same date this year. I do hope your right, I can’t wait!
      .-= vivienne´s last blog ..Sunday Salon – the first of the year. =-.

• At 2010.01.03 20:28, Anastasia said:

I really want to see Alice in Wonderland, mostly because of the awesome ridiculousness that is Tim Burton. And Gulliver’s Travels looks interesting, though I’ll honestly probably forget it’s coming out and then only remember about it once it’s on DVD. Er.

I actually want to see The Lovely Bones! I haven’t read the book (nor do I have an interest in reading it), but the movie looks good, if a bit intense and scary. (I’m a wimp.) And of course I’m looking forward to The Lightning Thief, since that was one of my favorite books last year. And Rapunzel is coming out next year– the Disney version, yes? I’m excited about that, too. 😀
        .-= Anastasia´s last blog ..APFOL: December 27-January 2 =-.

• At 2010.01.03 23:47, Ti said:

My actor son auditioned for Wimpy Kid but alas…he was not wimpy enough. We’ll still see it though!
          .-= Ti´s last blog ..The Sunday Salon: Life. Rushing. At. Me. =-.

• At 2010.01.04 01:37, Hayden Tompkins said:

I think I might be the only person who despises “Alice in Wonderland” and the only reason I will see that movie is because Tim Burton is such a badass and artistic genius.

(And, no, it doesn’t help to view the story as a political allegory.)

On the less grumpy side, I freaking LOVE that so many children’s movies are being made into movies. Aside from the hideous “Chronicles of Narnia” series, I think many directors do a fantastic job with their source material.
            .-= Hayden Tompkins´s last blog ..How to Rock 2010! =-.

• At 2010.01.04 11:42, Meg said:

Holy crap — there’s going to be a Ramona movie?! How did I not know about this? I was obsessed with Cleary’s novels as a kid and will definitely be seeing that!

Lots of other great ones, too, including “Eclipse” (swoon) and the latest “Harry Potter” installment. Can’t wait!
              .-= Meg´s last blog ..Book review: ‘The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate’ by Jacqueline Kelly =-.

• At 2010.01.04 15:34, Alita said:

I like this list! Oh so excited for Alice in Wonderland and Harry Potter.
                .-= Alita´s last blog ..Monday Round Up (01.04.10) =-.

• At 2010.01.04 21:24, Jenners said:

Seems like a lot of kids or tween books. I saw that Julia Roberts is the lead in “Eat Pray Love” … not quite what I imagined when I read it.
                  .-= Jenners´s last blog ..Review: Gemma by Meg Tilly =-.

• At 2010.01.05 09:48, Jess - A Book Hoarder said:

How did I not know that Eat, Pray, Love was going to be a movie?!? I have no idea how I missed that and now I am so excited. Julia Roberts and James Franco, I am so there! If only James Franco had a bigger part than David.

I also can’t wait to see The Lovely Bones. I read the book my Freshman year of college and fell in love with it.
                    .-= Jess – A Book Hoarder´s last blog ..Sweet Loot! =-.

• At 2010.01.05 11:44, alterity said:

But the author of the novel (played by Julia) was only able to do what she did because she had loads of cash. What about if you don’t? Are you expected to sell the house and leave your kids on the street as you head off to the tropics in search of a fling?
                      .-= alterity´s last blog ..Prita Mulyasari vs. Hunter S. Thompson =-.

• At 2010.01.05 13:32, Serena (Savvy Verse & Wit) said:

I also had no idea there would be a ramona movie!
                        .-= Serena (Savvy Verse & Wit)´s last blog ..Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy: The Last Man in the World by Abigail Reynolds =-.

• At 2010.01.05 15:07, Kari said:

Beezus and Ramona???? This is the first I am hearing of this! I just got pumped.

• At 2010.01.07 09:37, Care said:

I can’t say I’m over the top about any… sad. 🙁
                            .-= Care´s last blog ..The Hobbit =-.

• At 2010.01.14 01:02, Sandra said:

I loved Gulliver’s Travels when I read it years ago. I think that would make for a really fun film-I’d watch that. And it might get people reading the book too.
                              .-= Sandra´s last blog ..A-Z Wednesdays =-.