It’s 2010…let’s try again.

As the year winds to a close, I’ve been thinking not about all the great books I’ve read but about the one that got away

In my life as a reader, I’ve only broken up with three books: House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and Stone Cold by Robert B. Parker.  I’ve pretty much eradicated Stone Cold from my memory–it was an audio-book adventure gone horribly awry, and House of Leaves is an effort in futility for me, but abandoning The Book Thief  is something that keeps me awake nights.

thief

With each glowing review I read, my resolve to finish this book strengthens.  The NY Times called it ‘brilliant’ and ‘life changing’, so what’s wrong with me!?!

You can’t imagine how desperately I tried to get into the book.  In a single weekend, I picked it up 15 times only to cast it down minutes later.  I renewed it from the library twice hoping to finally make it past page 40 and fall in love with it.  My efforts were fruitless…until today!

Today I hatched a plan, a resolution or personal challenge if you will.  I am going to buy The Book Thief for my Kindle and read it before the end of 2010.  No pressure, no crazy deadline, just 365 days to read a book that 99.9% of the book blogging population seems to love.  Now that’s my kind of challenge!  Maybe I’ll even use Photoshop and make a button for my blog.  Ha!

Do you have a book that you’re going to revisit in 2010?  Maybe we can start a support group or you can be my sponsor.  I’ll call you when I find my focus and attention waning.

Health, happiness, and lots of good reads to everyone in 2010.  Cheers!

• At 2009.12.30 00:21, Steph said:

2010 will be my year to read Great Expectations/Charles Dickens! I will finally conquer the beast…
    .-= Steph´s last blog ..And we’re off to the North Pole! =-.

• At 2009.12.30 00:26, Rebecca said:

I bought and tried to read The Book Thief this year, too. And I tried over and over. Yet there it sits, unread. I finally moved it back to the bookshelf from my bedside table, reluctantly succumbing to the fact it was not going to be read anytime soon. But, like you, everyone seems to love it, so why can’t I get into it? I resolve to read it at some point. It just may not be tomorrow.
      .-= Rebecca´s last blog ..New Year Read-a-thon!! =-.

• At 2009.12.30 04:31, Hayden Tompkins said:

Maybe I could FINALLY get past the 3rd chapter of The Lord of The Rings without bashing my eyes in or falling asleep.

People just love that book and I am completely mystified as to why.

On my list of books to read asap this year, TulkU and The Glass Castle.
        .-= Hayden Tompkins´s last blog ..Best of 2009 =-.

• At 2009.12.30 05:02, bybee said:

Good luck! I admire your determination.

Actually, I have 2 books that I’m not crazy about but that I haven’t finished but will resolve to in 2010. One’s a classic that’s been nagging at my conscience since 1986. The other one was the darling of the book world in 2009 and I seemed to be the only one who wasn’t enraptured.

I’m working on working on my confession/resolve for a future blog entry.
          .-= bybee´s last blog ..Let’s Just Kiss and Say Goodbye: The DNF Files =-.

• At 2009.12.30 09:31, diane said:

Sounds like a great plan Natalie. Hope you are successful (I love that book).
            .-= diane´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday =-.

• At 2009.12.30 10:03, vivienne said:

I haven’t read this either, as the friends I know who did read it, really didn’t like it. I have a couple of huge chunksters I really need to read, so I am wondering whether to break them down to a chapter a day!
              .-= vivienne´s last blog ..More Challenges for 2010 =-.

• At 2009.12.30 10:07, Serena (Savvy Verse & Wit) said:

I had a hard time with Death as a narrator in the Book Thief, but I eventually got past it and loved the book.

As for the book I will be revisiting…that has to be Drood! I still have not finished it.
                .-= Serena (Savvy Verse & Wit)´s last blog ..It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Zombies! by Michael P. Spradlin, Illus. Jeff Weigel =-.

• At 2009.12.30 11:59, Meg said:

Nat, I hate to be a total reading biotch and get all, “Um, you must finish this book,” but seriously: you must finish this book. I absolutely loved it, cried and cried, and think about it often. It’s a dense read, to be sure, but totally worth it. There were so many turns of phrase that actually haunt me. Zusak is amazing.

So there. DO IT. Love the Kindle idea — one year to read a book! Sounds fair enough to me.
                  .-= Meg´s last blog ..write meg!’s 2009 reading honors =-.

• At 2009.12.30 12:22, Ti said:

Well, I am sort of dealing with the same thing right now with Moby Dick. Picked it up seven times and threw it against a wall once but with Moby Dick Monday, I feel obligated to get through it, and to be honest, I am enjoying it quite a bit now.

The Book Thief is a book that I’d like to read too. I had it on my list and then somehow it fell off my list. Are you going to post about it as you read?
                    .-= Ti´s last blog ..Review: Accidental Lessons =-.

• At 2009.12.30 13:02, rhapsodyinbooks said:

I really really hated the beginning of The Book Thief. I don’t even know why I kept reading. But the farther you go, the more Death kinds of steps to the background and lets the story take over, and then it gets really good. I say plow through!!!
                      .-= rhapsodyinbooks´s last blog ..Comparison of Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Unset and Dooms Day Book by Connie Willis =-.

• At 2009.12.30 13:09, Christy said:

It took me a little bit to get into The Book Thief, but it was totally worth it.
                        .-= Christy´s last blog ..Return from Holidays and Teaser Tuesday =-.

• At 2009.12.30 15:26, veronica said:

Good luck!!!

• At 2009.12.30 20:37, Jenners said:

If it makes you feel any better, I’ll be reading this in 2010 too … I’ve never tried it though but I’m reading it beause I’ve read so many people who have gone gaga over it. Now I’m very curious. Good luck …and I’m sure you can do it.
                            .-= Jenners´s last blog ..10 Best Books I Read This Year =-.

• At 2009.12.30 20:57, Kathy said:

You are too funny! You don’t have to read that book – reading is for pleasure not work.
                              .-= Kathy´s last blog ..Wondrous Words Wednesday =-.

• At 2009.12.30 21:59, Lisa said:

Oh no, I figured this was a fall back book for when I needed a book to read that I was absolutely sure I would love. Maybe not.
                                .-= Lisa´s last blog ..NovelTeas =-.

• At 2009.12.31 13:19, softdrink said:

Do you need to be double dog dared? Because I can do that.
                                  .-= softdrink´s last blog ..2009 Year End Meme =-.

• At 2010.01.01 16:12, Jen - Devourer of Books said:

Honestly, I don’t quite get all the love for that book either. I liked it, but I definitely didn’t love it like many people did.
                                    .-= Jen – Devourer of Books´s last blog ..My Top Books of 2009 =-.

• At 2010.01.01 22:42, Connie said:

“The book Thief” is on the shelf under the coffee table…I was starting to get really worried about reading it…now I have to…you have thrown down the gauntlet!
                                      .-= Connie´s last blog ..Let It Be =-.

• At 2010.01.02 09:27, Beth F said:

You crack me up! I’ve learned to happily let books go — even the ones that everyone else loves.

Happy new year!!
                                        .-= Beth F´s last blog ..Weekend Cooking: Movie Review: Julie & Julia =-.

• At 2010.01.04 01:17, Jess - A Book Hoarder said:

I totally understand how you feel. I so wanted to love this book from the very beginning and kept picking it up only to put it down. Finally, about 1/3 of the way through I did start to really get into it, and by the end I was in love with the story and giving my husband the evil eye when he tried to talk to me. There is still hope that you could love it.
                                          .-= Jess – A Book Hoarder´s last blog ..Catching Fire Did It Again =-.

• At 2010.01.05 20:53, Christie said:

I actually have several unfinished books from 2009:
                                            Birds of America by Lorrie Moore
                                            Under My Skin by Alison Jameson
                                            What Love Means to You People by NancyKay Shapiro
                                            The Almond by Nedjma
                                            The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson

Of those, the only one I really feel compelled to get through is The Gargoyle because it caused quite a sensation when it was published (in Canada, at least) and because I actually did like what I read…just one of those things.

• At 2010.01.07 09:40, Care said:

I’m sort of with Kathy/BermudaOnion – why torture yourself if it’s just not for you? BUT. if you do get sucked in and really finish it AND love it – then I will challenge myself to finish Anna Karenina in your honor.
                                              .-= Care´s last blog ..The Hobbit =-.

• At 2010.01.14 01:14, Sandra said:

I tried twice times to read Catcher in the Rye (do not like that mouthy little brat) and only got a few pages in. Tried three times to read Winesburg, Ohio-because everyone raves about it. Books never bore me but this one hurts it so uninteresting. I know it’s just me but I know what you mean by it bothering you.
                                                I’m reading Moby Dick with a group and just posted my thoughts about it on Monday. A lot of people have said they feel that way about this book, some have even quit. But I’m having a ball. I point out in my post that sticking with it will make you feel so good about yourself afterward that it’s worth it. You can do it. Those of us who’ve read it know it will grab you at some point and it will get easier. best not read it in tiny bits though, that makes it harder. Soldier on luv. We’re rooting for you.
                                                .-= Sandra´s last blog ..A-Z Wednesdays =-.

• At 2010.01.14 21:44, Karen @ Planet Books said:

I had the same issue with this book as you seemed to have. I already bought it on my Kindle last year and tried to start it in the fall but wasn’t feeling it. I bought it because of all those rave reviews too! I will try it again this year with you. Maybe we can pick a month to try it together?
                                                  Also, I need to try The Gargoyle again. My problem was it was sooo disgusting with the burn ward at the beginning of the story. It was really good but so gross I couldn’t go on and I was not only reading it but listening to it in the car!
                                                  .-= Karen @ Planet Books´s last blog ..What I’m Listening To This Week =-.