Weekend Cooking: Cream Scones

Gesine Bullock-Prado’s memoir, Confections of a Master Baker, tells of her decision to leave Hollywood and all its trappings–she was working for her sister, actress Sandra Bullock–to move to Montpelier, VT and open a bakery.  The book was a fun read, and Bullock-Prado generously included several recipes.  I was compelled to whip up a batch of Cream Scones a few weekends ago but fond memories and photographs, which I’m sharing with you as part of Beth Fish’s Weekend Cooking Challenge, are all that remain!

I don’t do much baking over here–my oven is primarily used as a storage unit for my cookbooks–but my kitchen is outfitted like a Williams-Sonoma store.  I can’t help it…I love baking accoutrements.  Sanding sugars, wooden spoons and spatulas, every type of baking tin and pan known to man, cookie cutters, professional quality mixers and choppers.  It’s a compulsion, really.  Listen, you never know when you’re going to need a pastry decorating kit, donut filler, sprinkles in every shade of the rainbow, mini-cupcake pan, or a 8-quart mixer.  My motto: Be Prepared (for baking Armageddon!).

But back to the scones!  Even though I’m not a huge fan of crumbly baked goods, these delights almost gave me the vapors!  Yummy!!  Dried cranberries and a handful of other ingredients was all it took to set me swooning.  I popped four into the oven straightaway and put the remaining four into the freezer for a snowy day.  My husband was a happy man.

Behold, my Cream Scone:

scone

scone 2

• At 2009.12.07 07:55, Cathy said:

It’s not fair to make me drool when it’s not even 5 AM!!
    .-= Cathy´s last blog ..Mailbox Monday– Perception Is All =-.

• At 2009.12.07 09:33, vivienne said:

This book sounds fabulous. I would definitely read it. The scones look amazing. Now my oven, is used to store dishes rather than cooked in. My family really don’t enjoy my cooking! Though I make a mean Shepherds Pie in my slow cooker.
      .-= vivienne´s last blog ..Are You Feeling Festive? =-.

• At 2009.12.07 10:29, Kathy said:

Oh my gosh! That is gorgeous – is the recipe in the book?
        .-= Kathy´s last blog ..Mailbox Monday =-.

• At 2009.12.08 01:48, nat @book, line, and sinker said:

kathy,
          the recipe is in the book, but i didn’t share it because it was a bit wordy. if anyone is interested, email me and i’ll send it along! 🙂

• At 2009.12.07 11:23, Steph said:

Your scones look lovely! I’m having flashbacks to England – if only one could get clotted cream stateside!

And I’m envious of your well-equipped kitchen! We are slowly accruing gadgets, but generally I go months without them before eventually caving and buying them, because I hate the idea of paying for something I’ll never use. So far I’m making good use of everything I’ve bought, but I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before I’m buying donut fillers! 😉
          .-= Steph´s last blog ..Supermarket S.O.S. =-.

• At 2009.12.08 01:49, nat @book, line, and sinker said:

i got most of the kitchen stuff for my bridal shower or at homegoods/marshalls/tj maxx. never pay full price is my motto!! 🙂

• At 2009.12.07 11:38, Ti said:

That scone looks delish!! I don’t care for scones usually because most are too crumbly and dry (I am thinking Starbucks here) but yours looks really yummy. How dare you tempt me at 7:37am when all I have is a cheese stick and a whole grain cracker.
            .-= Ti´s last blog ..Moby Dick Monday: December 7, 2008 (Week 4) =-.

• At 2009.12.08 01:50, nat @book, line, and sinker said:

i’m also afraid of dry, crumbly baked goods…but these delivered. either that, or the honkin’ pat of butter and jam that we spread on them helped out!

• At 2009.12.07 11:53, softdrink said:

It’s a thing of beauty.
              .-= softdrink´s last blog ..Moby Dick Monday (readalong update) =-.

• At 2009.12.07 12:37, Meg said:

Setting aside my obvious disappointment that you didn’t dry-pack any to send to me by overnight mail, these look fantastic! I’m a scone fanatic and keep trying to get my coworker, an excellent baker and cook, to whip some up. Maybe for our holiday party at work? That would liven things up… or, at least, liven me up!

• At 2009.12.08 01:51, nat @book, line, and sinker said:

my husband isn’t so good at sharing the baked goods. 🙂 i’ll see if i can distract him with some muffins or cookies and THEN i’ll ship scones your way!

• At 2009.12.07 15:40, Alita said:

Oh my, those scones look delicious. I’d also like to know where you found this recipe!
                  .-= Alita´s last blog ..Monday Round Up (12.07.09) =-.

• At 2009.12.08 01:51, nat @book, line, and sinker said:

page 42 in ‘confections of a master baker’ by gesine bullock-prado. email me if you’d like the recipe–they are great and easy!!

• At 2009.12.07 21:06, bybee said:

happy sigh…
                    .-= bybee´s last blog ..2010: Lots More Library Love =-.

• At 2009.12.08 00:32, Kimberly M. S. said:

Hello! My name’s Kimberly. I love reading your posts. I’ve recently started exploring the cooking field and found that I like cooking! It’s great to read about someone else doing the same thing. I’ve linked your blog to my own at: gimmesomebooklearnin.blogspot.com I’m a new blogger and an avid reader, and would love any suggestions you may have! Thanks ^.^

• At 2009.12.08 16:40, Lisa said:

Oh my , these sound delicious! It’s a cold and snowy day here so it’s the perfect day to turn on the oven; I may just need to whip up something like this!
                        .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Christmas Giveaway at The Christmas Spirit =-.

• At 2009.12.19 10:06, Beth F said:

OMG. These look absolutely fabulous. I now will have to buy the book!!!!
                          .-= Beth F´s last blog ..Weekend Cooking: Caribbean Black Bean Dinner =-.