Techie Tuesday: Let’s Go on a ‘Picnik’!

A few months ago, Bethany from Dreadlock Girl, talked up a photo enhancing and editing website called Picnik.  I popped over for a visit and was instantly smitten!  The site has a snazzy layout and is really user-friendly.  Best of all, many of the effects and tools are free to use!  Even though I have Photoshop and Corel, I love Picnik’s ease of use and wide range of tools.  No need to have a degree in Graphic Design to navigate Picnik.

Simply create an account, upload some pictures, and get to work editing or adding text or captions.  You can sharpen images, whiten teeth, and even take off a few pounds with their editing program.  After working on some of my road trip photos, I upgraded ($25 for a year) and now have access to all of the tools and extras–and it’s well worth the $2 a month that I pay.

Here’s an image from our 2008 road trip.  Photo A is straight from the camera, while Photo B’s color and sharpness has been enhanced.

photo A
photo A
photo picniked
photo B

I was a bit heavy-handed with the Vibrance tool in photo B and it’s a bit to orange for my taste, but I wanted to give you an idea of how the program works.  Stop by and spend a few minutes editing a photo and I know you’ll be hooked.  Your Library Loot or Mailbox Mondayphotos will pop off your blog page with a little help from Picnik!

Today’s contest: The first person to correctly identify the historical significance of this photo will win a small prize of my choosing–leftover turkey, perhaps?!?!  Good luck and have fun.

• At 2009.11.25 02:34, Kay said:

I like Picnik, it’s really helpful when I’m away from home and my main computer! (although nothing will ever replace my photoshop 😛 ) It’s easy to use, very user-friendly like you said, and the results are great! Your picture is great proof of that, I really like how you balanced the colors.
    .-= Kay´s last blog ..Review : Jinx =-.

• At 2009.11.25 02:38, bethany (Dreadlock Girl) said:

So glad you like picnik too!!

Is it the room were MLK was shot?? That hotel seems to ring that bell from a movie, but I could be completely off.
      .-= bethany (Dreadlock Girl)´s last blog ..Make a Reading Pillow for the Bookaholic(s) in Your Life =-.

• At 2009.11.25 09:26, Jess - A Book Hoarder said:

That’s Hotel Lorraine…where MLK was shot. Bethany beat me to it.

I was there a few years ago. It was incredible.

I’m off to play with Picnik, thanks for the great post Natalie.
        .-= Jess – A Book Hoarder´s last blog ..Teaser Tuesdays =-.

• At 2009.11.25 10:21, vivienne said:

What great pictures, with such significance. I am not very technical,so this is going way over my head.
          .-= vivienne´s last blog ..Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brook =-.

• At 2009.11.25 10:45, Kathy said:

I’ll have to check this out!
            .-= Kathy´s last blog ..Wondrous Words Wednesday =-.

• At 2009.11.25 12:54, Ti said:

I use Picnik to create my buttons but have yet to pay the upgrade fee. I am thinking about doing it though because there is a host of stuff on there that I cannot use without forking over the cold hard cash! It’s so easy to use though which is why I use it way more than Photoshop.
              .-= Ti´s last blog ..Review: Her Fearful Symmetry =-.

• At 2009.11.25 13:36, Serena (Savvy Verse & Wit) said:

I really enjoyed your post. I really love this web-based program. We must have read the same post by Bethany!

I have a feeling this is the motel where Martin Luther King last stayed.
                .-= Serena (Savvy Verse & Wit)´s last blog ..A Maryland Chick-lit Writer’s Inspiration by K.L. Brady, Author of The Bum Magnet =-.

• At 2009.11.25 14:20, Hayden Tompkins said:

I was all ready to unleash the “Martin Luther King!” when I saw the comments. You have some edumacated people. 🙂
                  .-= Hayden Tompkins´s last blog ..More Than Giving Thanks =-.

• At 2009.11.25 18:04, Florinda said:

I discovered Picnik a few months ago, and I like it a lot. Like Ti, I’ve used it to create buttons and images specifically for my blog (and haven’t upgraded from the free account). Glad you gave it a mention!
                    .-= Florinda´s last blog ..Thank you, 21st Century! (Weekend Assignment #294) =-.

• At 2009.11.25 21:15, nat @book, line, and sinker said:

wow, you guys know your history! the photo is indeed of the lorraine motel in memphis, tn and is where dr. martin luther king jr. was assassinated (by james earl ray) in april 1968.

today, the motel has been renovated and is now the civil rights museum–it’s really worth the visit. it highlights some of the less-than-finer moments of this nation’s history, but it’s a time that we shouldn’t forget.

congrats to bethany on the big win! some leftover turkey will be arriving in her mailbox shortly!!! 🙂

• At 2009.11.27 12:12, Meg said:

I’m obsessed with Picnik — it’s just way too much fun! I love putting vignettes around photos and love enhancing the vibrance, too. 🙂 And I usually wind up “softening” my shots. I could play around with photos all day!
                        .-= Meg´s last blog ..In which I give thanks =-.

• At 2009.12.01 21:14, Jenners said:

Shave off a few pounds? I’m sold!
                          I do think the effects add a cool, “back in the past” or “not of this world” feel to the photos.
                          .-= Jenners´s last blog ..Show Me 5 Saturday: Marley & Me by John Grogan =-.