BBAW Interview: Proust Questionnaire starring Amy from Amy Reads Good Books

Questionairre Logo

“Since July 1993, the back page of Vanity Fair has been devoted Proust Questionnaire, in which a noteworthy person answers a series of personal questions.  The questionnaire has its origins in a parlor game popularized (though not devised) by Marcel Proust (1871-1922), the French essayist and novelist, who believed that, in answering these questions, an individual reveals his or her true nature.” —Vanity Fair magazine

To spice up our BBAW interview swap, Amy and I decided to use Vanity Fair’s format.  Amy’s interview is below and you can read all about me at Amy Reads Good Books.  Enjoy!

Amy from Amy Reads Good Books
Amy from Amy Reads Good Books by Gina (Nat's sister-in-law)

Meet Amy of Amy Reads Good Books.  She’s an English professor at a small college in Ohio and enjoys memoirs, women’s fiction, and books about food and travel.

What is your most marked characteristic?

I can get just a wee bit obsessed about learning something new

Which talent would you most like to have?

I’d love to be able to sing well

What do you most value in your friends?

Ready smiles and ready comfort

What is your idea of perfect happiness?

A cozy dinner with people I love, candles, and a nice wine

Which living person do you most admire?

My mom

Where would you like to live?

In the woods, near a nice hiking trail, with a cozy studio for reading and writing

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?

Procrastination

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?

Grief, experienced alone

Who are your favorite writers?

Virginia Woolf, Jane Austen, L.M. Montgomery, Marian Keyes, Sophie Kinsella, Jennifer Weiner

Who is your favorite hero of fiction?

Nick Carraway

Who is your favorite heroine of fiction?

Emma Woodhouse

Who are your favorite poets?

Elizabeth Bishop, Louise Gluck, Wallace Stevens, Sylvia Plath

How would you like to die?

Unaware

What is your motto?

Okay, I confess that I don’t have one.  After a little googling, however, I was charmed by this one: Amor tussisque non celantur–Love, and a cough, are not concealed. (Ovid)

Thanks to the organizers of BBAW for putting together such a wonderful opportunity for book bloggers to meet and greet.  Amy and I hope you liked our spin on the book blogger interview swap.

For more information on Vanity Fair’s Proust Questionnaire, or to review the complete list of questions and answer them yourself, visit Vanity Fair.  If you’re a fan of Vanity Fair’s Proust Questionnaire, look for the coffee table collection, coming in October.

• […] To spice up our BBAW interview swap, Natalie and I decided to use Vanity Fair’s format.  Natalie’s interview is below and you can read all about me at  Book, Line, and Sinker.  Enjoy! […]

• At 2009.09.15 06:33, Chris@bookarama said:

I like how you guys did the interview! Nice job.

• At 2009.09.15 11:12, Heather J. said:

I love this idea – it definitely breaks up the (dare I say it?!) monotony of reading the same questions over and over again on other blogs! 🙂

• At 2009.09.15 12:44, Megan said:

Nick Carraway and Emma Woodhouse in one interview! I’m thoroughly intrigued! This was so fun 🙂 I’ll have to go visit Amy, too! And Gina’s picture is awesome.

• At 2009.09.15 17:32, Kerri said:

Great idea!

• At 2009.09.15 16:41, Florinda said:

This may be the best BBAW interview pairing I’ve seen yet – two of may favorite newer book bloggers asking each other the same questions! Love the illustration, too :-).

(Since you asked each other the same questions, I’m leaving you both the same comment.)

• At 2009.09.15 19:16, bermudaonion said:

Great interview and great drawing by your sister-in-law!

• At 2009.09.15 19:40, Literate Housewife said:

Love this interview and the caricature is to die for!

• At 2009.09.15 21:37, stacybuckeye said:

Love the drawing!

• At 2009.09.15 23:43, Lisa said:

How would you like to die? Well, that’s the first time I’ve seen that question today!

• At 2009.09.16 07:14, Amy Reads Good Books said:

Hooray for Natalie! Thanks so much for putting all of this interview together. I agree. . .it was one of the most clever of the day!

• At 2009.09.16 09:29, Serena (Savvy Verse & Wit) said:

I really like the spin you guys put on this interview swap. I really like Plath as a poet as well.

• At 2009.09.16 11:19, Belle said:

What a great idea, to use the Vanity Fair format for the interview! Love your sister-in-law’s drawing, too. Enjoyed Amy’s answers very much!

• At 2009.09.17 09:21, Michelle said:

This is an excellent interview. It’s always so enjoyable to see the personal part of bloggers lives. Especially since we get to become more familiar with the bookish side on their blogs.

• At 2009.09.17 09:29, sammy25 said:

Loved the interview! I had an extra 10 minutes before work today and I had read the Vanity Fair interview with Tony Curtis in the August issue!

• At 2009.09.19 18:58, Literary Feline said:

This is a great interview method. I occasionally put my friends through this questionnaire. It’s always fun to hear their answers.

I enjoyed reading Amy’s answers and will be heading over to her blog to check out yours soon. I’m enjoying getting to know my fellow bloggers more. 🙂

I love that Amy’s favorite fictional character is Emma. I like her quite a bit too. It took a while for her to grow on me but once she did, I can’t help but think of her fondly.