Neither a borrower nor a lender be: Part II

Following up on my ‘labeling books’ post, I wanted to mention the book lending system I use in my classroom library.  My students find this ‘old-fasioned’ system quaint and I can keep tabs on my books–win, win!  I found this kit at Borders a few years back, but it’s also available online for about $16 USD at Knock-Knock.  I lurve that company and could spend a small fortune on their website!

(Sorry, I forgot to include the ‘due date stamper’ in my photo!)

lending kit

For those of you too young to know about this ‘old-skool’ system, when a student borrows a book, he/she signs and dates the white card and gives it to you, creating a record of that books are out.  Additionally, you stamp the lined portion of the envelope with a due date so the student (or friend) knows when to return the book!  Fun, right?

Would you ever use something like this?

• At 2009.06.15 21:10, thedailydish said:

Very cute! I can see your name.

• At 2009.06.15 21:26, debbie said:

That is great! I should use something like that. I hate not getting my books back.

• At 2009.06.15 21:28, nat @ book, line, and sinker said:

Where?!?!?! I thought it was smudged enough!

• At 2009.06.15 21:29, claire said:

Oooooh.. what a great post! I just love love love the old library system. I loved looking at other people’s handwriting and snooping in to see who else have read them and who renewed, etc. Those were the good old days. I would totally use this kit! 😀

• At 2009.06.16 00:06, Jessica Kennedy said:

I too <3 Knock Knock. 🙂 I don't care if someone keeps my books so I don't use a system.

I usually don't lend out my favorites so it's not a big deal. And I also read a lot of my books on the Kindle so no borrowing for me. 🙁

• At 2009.06.16 04:53, vivienne said:

I love the old way they used to stamp library books. I remember getting my first library ticket and being allowed to have three books,where the tickets would be taken out and put into my library ticket pocket. I love this system.

• At 2009.06.16 07:28, Kathy said:

I remember that system well. I probably wouldn’t use that now, but as a kid, I would have been filled with joy to have a kit like that.

• At 2009.06.16 08:59, Stephanie of Stopbouncing said:

swwwwooooonnnn.
                  I would if I had a number of books to lend to a number of people, however I only have to call ‘lissa if I can’t find some lit.

• At 2009.06.16 11:15, Positively Present said:

I actually HAVE that…but, to be honest, I’ve never used it. In fact, I gave it to my dad (a fellow book lover) and HE never used it so I took it, thinking I would use it, but I haven’t. I still love the idea of it though. 🙂

• At 2009.06.16 12:35, Ti said:

That kit would make a nice teacher’s gift. When I was a kid I used to play library. Checking out stuff was funnn.

• At 2009.06.16 12:59, Cathy said:

Exactly the same system Mom and I used at the village library eons ago. Thanks for pointing me to that website. Lots of great stuff!

• At 2009.06.16 14:38, Hayden Tompkins said:

Let me be very, very honest. When I was a kid I added pockets, with index cards to the front interior cover of every book. I also labeled the spine of all of my books too. Then I put them in alphabetical order. Then I checked out my own books…to me.

Today I am content to organize them merely by genre, but don’t be fooled. If I had the time or the personal assistant, I would go back to my old method of BADASSICALNESS.

• At 2009.06.16 16:11, Hermie's Mom said:

Ah yes, memories of my elementary school library.

What really loved was the stamping check-out machine at our small town public library. Put my the plastic library card with raised numbers in the slot, slip the card from the back of the book in the front of the machine, and – chuclunk! – my book is checked out. I always wanted to be the librarian who got to use that machine. Oh the fascinations of a 10-year-old book nerd.

• At 2009.06.16 18:14, Amy Reads Good Books said:

Aww, I so miss those cards! I used to love to look at the date a book was last checked out. If it had been a long time, I’d imagine that the book had been all lonely and feel special for picking it up!

• At 2009.06.16 22:49, Patrick said:

It was always interesting to me to read a book’s lending history.

• At 2009.06.17 07:49, msmazzola said:

I am ordering one right now for my classroom. Love it! -Ms Mazzola

• At 2009.06.17 10:14, Becky Workman said:

What a great idea! I don’t usually lend books to many people (I’m kind of protective of the few that I keep) and those who do borrow are very good about reading and getting it right back.

It’s still cute though!

• At 2009.06.17 13:13, Serena (Savvy Verse & Wit) said:

My hometown library still used this system a few years ago…the library where I live now is all electronic, but they still have an ink stamper for you to stamp your own books with the due dates

• At 2009.06.19 15:16, Kristi said:

I’m usually trying to get RID of my books when I give them to someone, so I don’t use any kind of system. But having been a high-school teacher, this would be great in the classroom!

I loved looking around the Knock, Knock site! They have some great stuff! However, that link makes you eevill… ;o).

• At 2009.06.23 09:39, institutrice said:

For my classroom library, all the books are marked with my name and what genre basket they belong in. (I tried letting them sort the books and create the categories so they would supposedly be more responsible about putting them away right – yeah, not so much.) It went pretty well, but I still lost a few books. This year I added a “library card” from The Mailbox magazine. I cut out the image and glued it to construction paper. Then I typed the directions on a page of labels and put one on the back. When they check out a book, they have to write the date and the title on a Post-It note, and put the note on the back of the card. The cards stay together so I know who has what book (or who doesn’t have any and needs to find something to read). It worked very well, and only two books went missing.

What upsets me more is when they damage the books and don’t care, or refuse to replace them. One girl colored on a brand new book that I had lent her right from the Barnes and Noble bag, and then tried to blame someone else when she put it back! That’s worse than stealing it.