The Reading List: Off The Deep End Challenge

Here’s the final list* for my “Off the Deep End”  Summer Reading Challenge–pictorial first, numbered list with links to the books and bloggers who suggested them second.  I reserve the right to shuffle the order in which I read them–it’s my challenge, after all!

Now, if you’re looking for something to read this summer, look no further.  This list is based on suggestions of our fellow book bloggers.  Take a peek at the books (and blogs!) and you’ll find some keepers!

1. We Thought You Would Be Prettier: True Tales of the Dorkiest Girl Alive by Laurie Notaro (Erica of Pannonica)
  2. Mudbound by Hillary Jordan (Vivienne of Serendipity)
  3. The History of Love by Nicole Krauss (Claire from Kiss a Cloud)
  4. Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (Anastasia from Bird Brained Book Blog)
  5. Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card (Hayden from Through the Illusion)
  6. Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson (Dani at Positively Present)
  7. The Secret History by Donna Tartt (Heather at Book Addiction)
  8. End of the Alphabet by CS Richardson (Keri at Bookends)
  9. Wise Children by Angela Carter (Veronica at I Lived On Rum)
  10. And Ladies of the Club by Helen Hooven Santmyer (Lynn at Lynn’s Little Corner of the World)
  11. The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Stephanie at The Written Word and Belle of the Books)
  12. A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (Jackie at Farm Lane Books)
  13. Namako: Sea Cucumber by Linda Watanabe McFerrin (Christy at The Daily Dish)
  14. The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (Jena at Muse Book Reviews)
  15. One Foot in Eden by Ron Rash (Suzi Q Oregon at Whimpulsive)
  16. The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett (Florinda at The 3 Rs)
  17. One Deadly Sin by Annie Solomon (Becky at My Thoughts…Your Thoughts)
  18. The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey (Belle from Ms. Bookish)
  19. Cloud Street by Tim Winton (Susan and Meredith from Whelan Flynn)
  20. The Myth of You and Me by Leah Stewart (Institutrice)
  21. The Beekeeper’s Apprentice by Laurie R. King (Carrie K. from Books and Movies
  22. The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread by Don Robertson (Bybee from Naked Without Books
  23. Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (Beth from Beth Fish Reads)
  24. Clown Girl by Monica Drake (Stephanie from Please, Stop Bouncing)
  25. Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel (Claire from Kiss a Cloud)
  26. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (Emily from The World Inside My Head)
  27. Popular Music in Vittula by Michel Niemi translated by Laurie Thompson (Chartroose from Bloody Hell, It’s a Book Barrage!)
  28. No One You Know by Michelle Richmond (Avisannschild from She Reads and Reads)
  29. Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl (Soft Drink from Fizzy Thoughts)
  30. Bad Girls Don’t Die by Katie Alender (I spotted a review for this one on StephSu’s blog)

*I reserve the right to make additions at will!

• At 2009.05.28 02:18, Jackie (Farm Lane Books) said:

That is an amazing list of books! Every single one which I have read – I have loved. Most of the rest are in my TBR pile. I have never heard of 1, 13, 20, 22, 29 so will await your reviews of them with excitement! This is the best challenge around!!

• At 2009.05.28 03:45, Positively Present said:

Yay! I’m so happy my book was picked. 🙂 I hope you enjoy it and can’t wait to hear what you have to say about it. The other books look great too … I haven’t read most of them so I’m looking forward to hearing more about them.

• At 2009.05.28 05:51, pannonica said:

Ha! I haven’t even read the one you attributed to me. I’ve only read Notaro’s newest one, The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death and it made me think of you (no offense). Tell me how We Thought You Would Be Prettier is, unless I get around to it first. She’s a quick, breezy read.

You could have used my other suggestion, the one that’s a short story but is also real lit-ra-cha. >sniff<

• At 2009.05.28 05:54, thedailydish said:

Good luck everyone! Maybe people can link to reviews if they get around to test driving any of these.

• At 2009.05.28 07:32, Ti said:

This is a great list. Hey, what did you use to make the pictorial?

• At 2009.05.28 07:40, Heather said:

Wow, Nat, you have an awesome list of books here! And I’m so glad you took my suggestion, can’t wait to hear what you think of so many of these. Good luck! 🙂

• At 2009.05.28 07:51, Stephanie of Stopbouncing said:

You’re crazy.
                but that’s why I lovre you!

• At 2009.05.28 07:53, nat @ book, line, and sinker said:

get on line, sport!

• At 2009.05.28 08:07, Steph said:

Happy Reading! I’ve read a scant few of these but I did enjoy them very much. Most of these are already on my TBR list! 😉

• At 2009.05.28 10:11, avisannschild said:

Yay, I’m glad the book I suggested made the list! Good luck with reading all those books!

• At 2009.05.28 12:19, Annie Solomon said:

Wow! What a list. The ones I’ve read, like Outlander and Ender’s Game, were great. So excited my book, One Deadly Sin, made the list! Now, all of you who pick it up, stop by my website and let me know what you thought. Happy summer reading everyone!

• At 2009.05.28 13:42, vivienne said:

‘tWhat a fabulous list. I can’t wait to hear what you think about them. Might have to make a copy of this list for myself.

• At 2009.05.28 14:11, Hayden Tompkins said:

I can’t even tell you how exciting this is!!

• At 2009.05.28 14:56, connie said:

well shucks I didn’t know you were giving extra credit for suggesting books 🙂 Looks like my TBR pile will be getting larger. This does sound like fun.

• At 2009.05.28 15:14, Anastasia said:

Eek, I’m so excited you’re going to try DWJ out! 😀 I hope you enjoy Charmed Life, but if you don’t I won’t key your car or anything. Ahem.

• At 2009.05.28 15:33, suziqoregon said:

This is a GREAT list. I’m so happy to see One Foot in Eden on the list. I hope you think it’s as good as I do.

• At 2009.05.28 15:49, claire said:

Yay, so happy you are going to read History of Love and Like Water for Chocolate! Hope you enjoy them as much as I did! Happy summer reading! 😀

• At 2009.05.28 23:28, mari said:

Great list! Enjoy them. 🙂

• At 2009.05.29 00:59, kay said:

That’s an incredible list! So many on this list I would like to read, too! I think you have an incredible summer of reading ahead of you. I’ll be very curious to hear your thoughts on those, if you post reviews. Plus, it’s fun to know who suggested what, I’ll take a good look at this list! 🙂

• At 2009.05.29 09:49, Kerri said:

Happy Reading! It looks like you ended up with a great list.

• At 2009.05.29 12:46, chartroose said:

Yay! Thanks for adding my choice to the list. (I hope you like it). I’ve read quite a few of these, but I’m going to try some of the others.

I guess this means I’m going to participate in the challenge. I’ll put the info on my sidebar very soon.

Thanks, Natalie!

• At 2009.05.29 22:50, softdrink said:

Ack! Now I’m all nervous you won’t like my suggestion. But Powells made me read it! So if there’s blame, blame them. 😉

You’ve got some great books on that list…and a lot of books that just happen to be in my TBR pile. Have fun!

• At 2009.05.29 23:34, Belle said:

What a great list – you’re going to have fun!

• At 2009.05.30 08:08, Lisa said:

I love The History of Love, but can not STAND Laurie Notaro. I think those might be the only two I’ve read on the list.

• At 2009.05.30 21:49, Jenners said:

The only one I read was “The Secret History” by Donna Tartt (years ago but I loved it). I love how all the covers look all together! Have fun … I’m interested to see what you think of them!

• At 2009.05.31 18:10, Samantha said:

I haven’t read most of these so I will be interested in hearing your thoughts when you finish. Looks like you will be really busy this summer 🙂

• At 2009.06.01 13:35, Care said:

How FUN! I can’t wait to read your thoughts on Popular Music – I’m glad Chartroose rec’d that for you. Lots of great titles here; I’ve only read a few!

• At 2009.06.01 21:25, institutrice said:

I can’t wait to see what you think of my book! 😉 I’m definitely going to check out some of these titles, especially ones I hadn’t heard of! My summer reading pile keeps growing taller and taller…

• At 2009.06.03 21:57, Brooke O. said:

Books. So, I do not have much to read actual “paper” books if you will; but, I do “read”, i.e., listen, to audio books while I run everyday. I have stumbled across some surprising good reads. I recommend, can never spell that word, the following:
                                                            1. Good Grief by Lolly Winston
                                                            2. The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams
                                                            3. The Abortionist’s Daughter by Elizabeth Hyde

Each book is completely different from one another. The first will make you laugh and cry. The second will make you stand on tiptoe to try and see over to the next page before you get there. The third will intrigue you. Enjoy!

• At 2009.06.07 07:47, Summer Reading List « State of Denmark said:

[…] 7, 2009 by msmazzola I recently saw Natalie’s summer reading challenge, and was inspired to create my own.  I think I have a pretty good balance of some quality […]

• At 2009.06.23 23:43, FrannyLuvsAll said:

Wow, totally strange…I happened to be perusing B&N.com a few weeks ago and bought Special Topics in Calamity Physics on a hunch that I might like it…and now here it lands on your summer reading list. I was a little worried, as it had been labeled a “bargain buy” but I’m feeling much better about my purchase decision. Now, if I can just find the time to read…

• […] more fun to savor them!  (To view this list with LIVE links to the blogs and the books, click HERE.)  If your TBR pile ever gets low, stop by and take a look at my list […]